You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

In need of a desk..stat!

Benjamin Van Eps 987241

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Evening simmers-

I took the plunge and as I see it, hopefully the last piece of the puzzle. I bought a Matrox TH2Go and 3 new monitors. The problem is where do I put all of this now?

I am in need of some serious desk ideas. Do any of you have good desks that were cheap to build, simple to use or quick to buy? I am trying to avoid the cheap-o from any local retailer but also despise the idea of $1200 desk from pottery barn etc.

I need a simmers desk! I need some ideas!

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of my mates here in the UK, bougt a really cool device which allows him to hang his three 19inch monitors on.

basically its one stand which will hold all three. The monitors dont even touch the desk so it really doesnt matter the size of the desk aslong as there is room for the base of the stand, keyboard mouse etc which most desks can manage.

check www.rcsimulations.co.uk

They might have it.

Just found this via the Mighty Google http://www.ergoindemand.com/lcd_display_stand.htm

Not sure where you live (just noticed you live in MO) but IKEA do some brilliant desks I have three monitors on mine and space for the Xbox 360.

dscf2782ls4.jpg

Edited by Guest

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

If you're in NW MO, head over to Nebraska Furniture Mart by the race track. You're bound to find something.

One word of caution is to keep in mind how your yoke, throttle quadrant, etc etc might need to attach to a desk. Measure twice, buy, haul, and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble once.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

You'll be looking for a "managers desk". They're typically much larger and deeper and wider than the little "computer" desks that are sold. Hit OfficeMax and you can have one for a hundred or two.

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

50.jpg

Wow! now thats a nice rig! I need to get my income taxes done

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

That sort of desk is very poor for TH2GO setups, though. For a TH2GO setup, you want something where all 3 of the monitors will be equally vertically aligned.

Personally, I have a TH2GO and 3 19" monitors and I just use a Crate & Barrel gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]-top desk with a return. It's nothing special but fits the monitors fine. Maybe I'll snap some pics later.

Tim Krajcar

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
If you're in NW MO, head over to Nebraska Furniture Mart by the race track. You're bound to find something.

One word of caution is to keep in mind how your yoke, throttle quadrant, etc etc might need to attach to a desk. Measure twice, buy, haul, and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble once.

Wow.. Nebraska Furniture Mart! Being from Omaha, that brings back memories! I grew up running around in that store! My family knew Mrs. B personally, and got some really great service from them before they grew their campus to all over the place!

In fact, thank you for reminding me. I need to make that donation to The Astro (Emmy Gifford Children's Theater).

It's good to see them still around, especially with all of the mega market chains popping up all around them (Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Frys, etc. etc.).

70 years, and still going!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted
Wow.. Nebraska Furniture Mart! Being from Omaha, that brings back memories! I grew up running around in that store! My family knew Mrs. B personally, and got some really great service from them before they grew their campus to all over the place!

In fact, thank you for reminding me. I need to make that donation to The Astro (Emmy Gifford Children's Theater).

It's good to see them still around, especially with all of the mega market chains popping up all around them (Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Frys, etc. etc.).

70 years, and still going!

BL.

Well... sorry to potentially burst your bubble, but...

Not exactly your "mom and pop" store:

NFM on Live Maps

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor