You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Tahiti Oceanic

Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Well, actually, several of us BoG guys are thinking about opening Tahiti Oceanic as a little getaway.

RJ

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted

I don't understand... what do you mean by gateway?

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

Andres Braun 848109
Posted
Posted

Great, As a Chilean Controller, there are plenty of flights from Eastern Island to Tahiti Faa, so It'll be nice to have Tahiti Oceanic...

Great idea guys!

Andres Braun

ZLA Senior Controller

96.png

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I didn't say "gateway". I said "getAway".

RJ

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
Well, actually, several of us BoG guys are thinking about opening Tahiti Oceanic as a little getaway.

Richard,

Your comment may have only been in jest but I am sure Comp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Air would welcome you, the BoG and indeed any and all pilots to their December flyin to Fiji on the 10th.

Details, along with charts for the area are available here!

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Sounds an excellent idea!

Regards

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted
I didn't say "gateway". I said "getAway".

Sorry my bad I was reading that with no sleep and it looked like gateway

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

• 2 weeks later...
Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Superb idea!

Sounds nice to start activating the oceanic firs in the south pacific corridor between south america and oceania

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Yuri Kirsanov 826710
Posted
Posted

Good day,everyone!

I'm russian VATSIM instructor, but actually, I'm controlling NTTR_CTR for about a week already. We have a superb scenery for 6 Tahiti airports, AFCADs for them and charts. I'm controlling from 0700 till 1500 UTC from Monday to Friday. Of course, from time to time I can't hold that shedule, but I'm trying. So, everybody are welcome to Tahiti!

PS. 1. We have also a great sector for ASRC. Link to our pack is ftp://avia.preferance.ru/Free/NTAA

Beverley Howard-Smith 8396
Posted
Posted

I am a little confused here as I am not sure what is being proposed.

Is it being suggested that Tahiti Oceanic be maintained by its own body and therefore has its own controllers? If so, are you certain you would be able to get enough controllers to make it interesting for the pilots. Or is Tahiti Oceanic already controlled by ?????? in real life and that virtual would copy this.

Beverley

1248.png

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Beverley,

the thing is that up until now Tahiti Oceanic had no control at all (except for certain exceptions). I believe the BoG's idea is to activate the FIR as a part of VATPAC, in order to provide a little bit of regularity

cheers!

18.png

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted

There isnt really that much flights accross the pacific in our area. the main one is accross the Tasman Sea (which isnt the pacific but it sort of is) between Australia & New Zealand. I been accross the pacific twice flying KLAX-YSSY it is a very nice flight hopefully our corner globe starts getting more traffic every where!

Cheers,

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

There's also some sporadic traffic from SCEL to NTAA... having Tahiti Oceanic online would be, I believe, an incentive for us in Chile to man Santiago Oceanic (formerly known as Easter Center) more often.

The rest of the oceanic traffic we provide in that direction goes to Aukland Oceanic (SCEL to Sydney, Aukland, etc) but it's sporadic too

cheers

18.png

Yuri Kirsanov 826710
Posted
Posted

Yes, Tahiti Oceanic Center is under my control, but this isn't separate FIR, it's just my initiative. There were 3 inbound flights, and 3 local VFR flights yesterday. Yes, that's not too much traffic, but I hope more people would come to fly VFR on Cessnas or something like them. It's very beautiful region and you can even use water-based planes. I was planning to make Search&Recovery missions on such plan:

1. SR pilots gather at NTAA (or other airports)

2. Pilots who want to be rescued start their flight from any airport in the area.

3. At some moment they call for emergency and turn off transponder (of course I still can see them)

4. After that they "fall down" in some different direction and land on island or on water (yeah, you'll have to turn off crashes, but...)

5. I call SR service on different frequency and tell them something like this "SRJ103 is type B738, last seen in sector B4 (I'm going to put sectors map on French Polynesia map), last altitude XXXX, last heading XXX".

6. SR people (not all, of course) start their search. We can make it in two ways - either when planes and helicopters searches for crashsite, and when planes form first stage of search and after finding crashsite helicopters goes there for recovery mission

7. When helicopter arrives, it must land for example, for 10-15 minutes (imitation recovery of pilots and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]angers) and then head back to the airport.

If anybody have suggestions about that plan - feel free to answer in here. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Terrence Scanlan
Posted
Posted

Hi Folks

Just a "Heads Up" on the discussion re OCEANIC Control in this region.

Tahiti falls within the OCEANIA region and hence it is the responsibility of VATPAC to administer this area. Because of the lack of traffic and ATC in this region there has not been a lot for the VATPAC Staff to do. However with the increased interest in this area we intend to try and open it up more often and to encourage more controllers to operate in this region.

Technically speaking, anyone wishing to control in this region should approach the staff at VATPAC and obtain a "Visiting Controller" approval but we have not been concerned as we are happy to see the area manned.

Plans are on the drawing board to open up the OCEANIC areas in the Pacific and set some basic guidelines for its use so that we are all operating to the same standard.

Terry Scanlan

OCEANIA - Regional Director

Yuri Kirsanov 826710
Posted
Posted

I'd like to obtain "Visiting Controller" status and I would like to help you with Tahiti FIR.

Terrence Scanlan
Posted
Posted

Yuri, you are most welcome and we thank you for your interest in this region.

I will p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] this message on to the VATPAC Staff and someone will contact you to arrange the details.

Happy New Year to you

Terry Scanlan

OCEANIA - RD

Yuri Kirsanov 826710
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much! For now I'll stop controlling there till I get official license for control