You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

RIIVR1 arrival current at KLAX

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Just like the title says. We are officially replacing the CIVET5 arrival with the RIIVR1. The procedures are very similar. The RIIVR1 is a profile arrival just like the CIVET5 but has a slightly different routing. All the routes on simroutes.com have been updated to accommodate the change. Grab the new chart and come give it a try!

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Francisco Obregon 1004310
Posted
Posted
Just like the title says. We are officially replacing the CIVET5 arrival with the RIIVR1. The procedures are very similar. The RIIVR1 is a profile arrival just like the CIVET5 but has a slightly different routing. All the routes on simroutes.com have been updated to accommodate the change. Grab the new chart and come give it a try!

I actually did the other day! I saw it and I saw all flights using it, So I took it out for a spin, Very similar, just a few minor changes!

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted

I flew it in the RW at the end of Jan. Still a STAR that keeps you on your toes, we had the spoilers in flight detent for a good 12k of the descent.

EDIT: Something is already gonna change. The RIIVR2 is to be released on July 31st. Along with updates to the SEAVU and OLDEE.

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Note for X-plane users: the 25R and 24L nav fixes are not in our database. I've sent the corrections to Robin Peel, so hopefully they'll be in the next one (or you can add them yourself). If you're flying via FMC, you might want to request 24R or 25L.

Scott Mulhollan 929446
Posted
Posted
Note for X-plane users: the 25R and 24L nav fixes are not in our database. I've sent the corrections to Robin Peel, so hopefully they'll be in the next one (or you can add them yourself). If you're flying via FMC, you might want to request 24R or 25L.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem considering that the main arrival runways at LAX are 25L and 24R. Very seldom land 25R/24L unless pilot request.

Scott Mulhollan - ZAB Instructor

ZAB Training Administrator

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted

Ho ho!

Last night, I was tryna give Tom Solon some traffic outta KLAS so gave 'em the ol' CIVET5 into LAX. Was on that flight with some guy coming in from New Yawk. I see by ServInfo that he's on the RIIVR1. He gets on the window and asks me what rwy I'm figuring on. Now, this is a guy who reported on UNICOM when he was 140 miles out so I don't wanna mess this up, y'unnerstan. So, I tell him that we are going in on different apps and different rwys and everything should be cool. Heh!!! The only reason it was cool was because he was miles behind me. But me, with my vast resevoir of knowledge, goes right ahead and tells him we are on completely different apps. Oh bruddah.

Scott Mulhollan 929446
Posted
Posted
Ho ho!

Last night, I was tryna give Tom Solon some traffic outta KLAS so gave 'em the ol' CIVET5 into LAX. Was on that flight with some guy coming in from New Yawk. I see by ServInfo that he's on the RIIVR1. He gets on the window and asks me what rwy I'm figuring on. Now, this is a guy who reported on UNICOM when he was 140 miles out so I don't wanna mess this up, y'unnerstan. So, I tell him that we are going in on different apps and different rwys and everything should be cool. Heh!!! The only reason it was cool was because he was miles behind me. But me, with my vast resevoir of knowledge, goes right ahead and tells him we are on completely different apps. Oh bruddah.

Mike, the CIVET5 and the RIIVR1 arrivals are not terribly different. No need to worry

Scott Mulhollan - ZAB Instructor

ZAB Training Administrator

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

So what changed? I've flown both arrivals and they seem to be extraordinarily similar. What does the RIIVR1 arrival have that the CIVET5 didn't? (I don't have them in front of me, but I'll try to compare them later and see what's different.)

8564.png

Michael Smith
Posted
Posted
So what changed? I've flown both arrivals and they seem to be extraordinarily similar. What does the RIIVR1 arrival have that the CIVET5 didn't? (I don't have them in front of me, but I'll try to compare them later and see what's different.)

different routing, but I don't have them with me so i cant tell you what changed between the old and new routing

Mike Cassel 849958
Posted
Posted

Some(not all of the changes):

-The runway transitions begin a little later than they used to.

-The published crossing restriction at GRAMM is now GRAMM between 17000 and FL210, at 290 knots. The old went from 17000-FL190 at 280 knots.

-Some very minor changes to the crossing restrictions(moving some from CIVET to RIIVR), other minor changes.

-Very minor change in routing, as was mentioned above

My understanding is(don't use it in real life), that this arrival was designed with the idea in mind that Center would eventually begin giving the instruction "Descend via the RIIVR1 arrival", and then, upon initial contact with Socal, the pilot would get a runway. I don't know if this plan is actually in use at the moment; for Virtual ZLA, you can still expect to get the usual cross GRAMM at FL180/FL190.

CS13_Sig_E.jpg

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

For Clearance Delivery purposes over in ZDV, is the Grandpa 1 still in use? If I'm correct this was another STAR similar to the CIVET5.

Mike Cassel 849958
Posted
Posted

The GRNPA1 is an arrival into Las Vegas(KLAS). It is completely valid.

CS13_Sig_E.jpg

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

My understanding is(don't use it in real life), that this arrival was designed with the idea in mind that Center would eventually begin giving the instruction "Descend via the RIIVR1 arrival", and then, upon initial contact with Socal, the pilot would get a runway. I don't know if this plan is actually in use at the moment; for Virtual ZLA, you can still expect to get the usual cross GRAMM at FL180/FL190.

That was originally the plan, but it isn't being used that way real world yet either. Center issues the GRAMM crossing at the lowest usable flight level, and you get the "descend via" and expected approach/rwy on initial contact with Socal.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted
My understanding is(don't use it inThat was originally the plan, but it isn't being used that way real world yet either. Center issues the GRAMM crossing at the lowest usable flight level, and you get the "descend via" and expected approach/rwy on initial contact with Socal.

The CIVET and SEAVU have always been two of my fave apps into LAX. Once you get to GRAMM or KONZL (at the proper alt unt schpeed, of course ...gnarf gnarf), the contollers just tell you to descend via the app and you are free to see how close you can get to all those alts, speeds and fixes. Some fun Lucy!!

• 3 weeks later...
Ed Tomlinson 1014292
Posted
Posted

I found this report pertaining to CDA studies and in particular an analysis of the CIVIT5 and RIIVR1 arrivals., Thought you might find it interesting.

Continuous Descent Arrivals:

Noise, Emissions, and Fuel Burn Reductions

http://www.aviation-noise.org/events/2007Conf/Presentations/Clarke.pdf

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted
The GRNPA1 is an arrival into Las Vegas(KLAS). It is completely valid.

Ahh, not my brightest moment on the forums ... thanks!

Eamonn McIntyre 1051149
Posted
Posted

Yeah I too have done the RIIVR1 arrival into KLAX before, it's exactly like CIVET5, it's cool lol. Also the OLM5 arrival into KSEA changed to the OLM6 arrival. They are exactly the same It's pretty cool how they change the name but not the waypoints and altitude restrictions

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted
Yeah I too have done the RIIVR1 arrival into KLAX before, it's exactly like CIVET5, it's cool lol. Also the OLM5 arrival into KSEA changed to the OLM6 arrival. They are exactly the same It's pretty cool how they change the name but not the waypoints and altitude restrictions

They did change it; they changed the crossing at OLM landing South for turbojets from at 17000 and 280kt to at or above 17000 and 280kt (formerly changed by NOTAM), and added the waypoint LACEE

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png