You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TWO usb headsets

James Dean 1036133

James Dean 1036133
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have two usb headsets that me and my friend would like to use. However we can only get one of the headsets to work. They are both the same headsets but one comes up as the make and the other the make (2) is there a way of linking the both so windows pick up the headsets as one device? I know this is a random question but we are trying to set up a mock cockpit!

Thanks!

James

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

I wish that were possible...

Its my understanding that when you install a USB headset, it creates it's own sound card which effectively closes all other output devices, including, but not limited to, any headphone jacks you may have in your computer.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

"The clueless newb of today is the seasoned loyal pilot of tomorrow." -Elchitz

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted
I wish that were possible...

Its my understanding that when you install a USB headset, it creates it's own sound card which effectively closes all other output devices, including, but not limited to, any headphone jacks you may have in your computer.

That's not entirely true. While you cannot use two USB headsets (as far as I know), you can use a USB headset in conjuntion with headphone jacks. For example, I get VATSIM voice through/from my USB headset, and sound comes through the speakers...BUT when the ol' lady gets tired of listening to the drone of two PT6A-60As pushing 105" Hartzell props, then I plug in my iPod earbuds, and stick one of them in my free ear (my USB headset only has one "speaker"). Anyhow, while that method works, I don't think you can set it up where you guy is on the USB headset, and another is on one plugged into the headphone/mic jacks; I think those can only be used for sim sound, if you're using a USB headset.

...I hope all of that made some sense...

3711154647_0eac39f1a2_o.jpg

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

Actually in theory this should be possible with SB3. Go into the options then uncheck "Use 1 device for all radios" or something similiar to that. Then set it so comm2 goes thru your other headset then comm1 goes to your headset. So then when you fly your plane, tune both comm1 and comm2 to the controller's frequency.

Andrew Miller

• 3 weeks later...
Gerry Robins 926385
Posted
Posted

I use 2 sound cards. You can hear atc on both headsets but only 1 headset is able use the mic to talk to atc.

Hope this helps.

Gerry