You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Building home made computers !

Malakai Field 1040165

Malakai Field 1040165
Posted
Posted

Hi all ive brought all just wondering what components match like proccecers and graphics card could someone please help me on this thanks bye

Dave Stankiewicz 986738
Posted
Posted

If you are really serious about building your own computer. It's time to do a lot of reading

You can start here... http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

CPU's and video cards don't correspond to each other. The main compatibility issues you need to think about are the motherboard/cpu/cpu socket type.

In very, very basic terms...the motherboard that you buy is going to dictate what type of cpu/memory/vid card you can use.

There are thousands of different options when it comes to mixing and matching components to build a computer and it's impossible to even try to list them. But just to give you an idea, here are the specs of my computer that i just built about a month ago.

Motherboard - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz dual-core

Video Card- nVidia 8800GTS 640MB PCI-e

Memory- Corsair XMS2 2GB

I also bought a new Seagate harddrive, a new case, and XP Pro and the whole thing ended up costing me $1200.

I can run FS9 at full detail at about 60-70fps and FSX at full detail at about 30-40fps

Simulated United States Air Force

sBGen Dave Stankiewicz

Commander

Air Combat Command

~Real World Pilot (PPL ASEL)

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted

Anyone know the details of those new 9 series nvidia cards? Any good?

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted

That doesnt say if they are any good

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

The 9600 is a mid-range part, as denoted by the 6.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Do this.

Compare the specs of the 9600GT to the specs of the 8800GT or even the 8800GT SSC, and see what you get. Then check the reviews for the 8800GT. Keep in mind that the 9600GT is mid range, like Luke said, so that won't leave you much room for improvement without grabbing the high-end version.

I find it funny that with a slight bit of overclocking, the stock 8800GT can outperform the 9600GT, and the 9600GT doesn't even come close to the 8800GT SSC.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller