You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Graphics cards

Malakai Field 1040165

Malakai Field 1040165
Posted
Posted

hi all

graphics card --- NDVIA 8500 GT PCI - E 512 MB

motherboard --- Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2

are the compatible and for the processer do i need the graphics card motherboard and CPU to be compatible or just it needs to be compatible with just the mother board

help please thanks bye

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
are the compatible and for the processer do i need the graphics card motherboard and CPU to be compatible or just it needs to be compatible with just the mother board

Just with the motherboard. But why are you considering an 8500GT? Seems pretty underpowered to me. What do you have?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

To answer your PM, I'd save up for at least an 8600 or 9600. I doubt an 8500 will give you 30-40 FPS at full sliders in FS9. What CPU do you have?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Have to agree with Luke here. If you're headed down the 8xxx series of cards from NVidia, you're selling yourself short with the 8500GT.

If anything, I would suggest the 8800GT, whether the stock or superclocked versions, and personal preference being from eVGA. With those, you'll be set for a very long time.

If you're limited on $$$, I'd suggest the nVidia 9600GT series. They compare in memory, and core speed. The 8800GT has double the stream processors, and the memory clock speed is double. The 9600GT happens to be roughly $50 - $60USD cheaper than the 8800GT (prices at Newegg).

This happens to be a midrange card, so should fit what you're looking for. Just be wary of power supply requirements, though. I'm running the 8800GT Superclocked on a 500W PSU, and I'm pulling a little under half of that (little over half under load), so be sure you have enough power in your case to accomodate.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Timothy Bates 1046889
Posted
Posted
Have to agree with Luke here. If you're headed down the 8xxx series of cards from NVidia, you're selling yourself short with the 8500GT.

If anything, I would suggest the 8800GT,

If you consider the 8800GT, its worth getting the ATI 3580 512, cheaper and out performs it by far.

3712.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
If you consider the 8800GT, its worth getting the ATI 3580 512, cheaper and out performs it by far.

Where did you get that idea?

Cheers!

Luke

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

If you have any thoughts of trying X-Plane in the future, consider sticking with the nVidia cards. X-Plane seems to have a strong preference for nVidia cards over ATI cards.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!