You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Multibyte characters in chat bar.

Masato Ikeda 986652

Masato Ikeda 986652
Posted
Posted

Hi,

When I talked with other controller on chat, He used Japanese characters on it. But characters cannot be shown correctly.

I thought it problem with font. (May be the font not included Multibyte characters.)

So I want this software to be able to change font on chat bar.

Masato Ikeda

Masato Ikeda

Asia - Japan division

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Masato,

I am not sure that just changing the font set will fix this problem. At this moment EuroScope is compiled without UNICODE library support. In that way multi byte characters can not be handle. Actually the underlaying FSD protocol is a single byte text based protocol. I am not sure if it is possible to send such text messages over that.

Let us talk a bit about it after the next public release.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Masato Ikeda 986652
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

Thank you for developing. I got new one! it's cool!

I am not sure that just changing the font set will fix this problem.

I see.

But Please look right side of the textbox on the screenshot.

euro_up1.png

It could be shown correctly.(You [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned other fonts?)

When export chat log, also it could be shown correctly.

chatlog.png

My friend uses "VRC".

He said "It could be shown correctly.".

here is a screenshot. It was sent by him.

vrc_chat1.png

I sent him the message from euroscope.

I think "VRC" is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned other fonts.

Therefore I think that is not problem of text protocol.

After all I think that is the problem of the font.

By the way, When I was flying on VATSIM, My friend chat with me on the SquakBox.

Originally it could not be shown correctly.

I changed font and character-set(Japanese), it could be shown correctly.

Please visit under URL(my server) I uploaded some screenshots.

http://www.rw12.net/sb/

if you are possible and software was written by C or C++, Please show me its codes. I wanna change the font.

I can write basic C,C++ code a little. and I have the MS VC++.

Masato Ikeda

Masato Ikeda

Asia - Japan division

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Masato,

Can you send a TTF that works fine for you? And also a small LOG that contains a private chat with the characters I can not display now. I would like to take a look inside. You should know that in EuroScope TTF we replaced some characters to display special symbols on the scope. So not all kind of font sets are usable. But probably for the chat ...

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

The one thing that's missing is, as you said Gegerly, UNICODE library support is not compiled in. The characters get through the network okay, since the only difference between a UTF-8 char and a UNICODE one is the UNICODE is two bytes long. To FSD, it's simply two bytes of information, and since FSD can't read english, he's none the wiser...

It's simply a matter of including UNICODE support in ES, then those characters will display correctly.

Hope this helps

Yanis

"Taking off is a choice... Landing is a necessity..." -Unknown

---

8942.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Yanis,

I think that it is not completely correct. The private chat is not compiled by the FSD server, but all surrounding characters are. This is necessary to decide which client the message is sent to. In this way it is not possible to change everything to UNICODE. As far as I know there were problems about nonprintable characters sent to the FSD servers and they were not able to process it correctly. To send everything with a single byte code and only the private messages as multibyte does not seem to be an easy thing.

Gergely.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Masato Ikeda 986652
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

I sent PM for you. Please check it out.

As far as I know there were problems about nonprintable characters sent to the FSD servers and they were not able to process it correctly.

I don' know about FSD server's specification.Sorry.

So now I thnik about problem with out FSD server's processing.

May be the problem is difference from character-set. if quoted sentences are true.

It's simply a matter of including UNICODE support in ES, then those characters will display correctly.

Before, Characters could not be shown correctly(These were mystery characters.) on SB3.

So I changed character set from font config menu. Then characters could be shown correctly.

Only about chat bar, Would you care for changing font and characters set?

And test. Of course I'll cooperate with you.

if the test succeed, Would you care for improving the software to be able to change it? for any language.because i think users change font and characters-set as them like by themself.

Masato Ikeda

Asia - Japan division

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

Okay, here's one thing I didn't know about the network, that private messages were sent directly to clients. My bad

But, as I far as UNICODE is concerned, it's simply two bytes transmitted over the network, instead of one. One of the bytes has a "marker" which is the signature for a UNICODE character. Now, how they appear on-screen rests on the client receiving them. If it knows how to handle UNICODE, everything works, and you get a japanese/corean/chinese character displayed. If it can't handle UNICODE, you get the result described by Masato, that is, two standard characters that don't make sense.

Now, I understand what you mean (a little) when you talk about separating traffic between what's meant for private chat, and what goes out to the server, but it dosen't really matter. I'm still not sure about the details of the process, but it probably goes like this. Gegerly, correct me if I'm wrong

If a client "speaks" on a frequency, FSD simply accepts the byte stream from the client, and rebroadcasts it to all other clients "tuned-in". Since both non-UNICODE and UNICODE characters are bytes of data, it depends on if the client can understand them or not.

Hope this helps... If it does not, please put me out of my misery, and tell me

Yanis

---

8942.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Yanis,

If a client "speaks" on a frequency, FSD simply accepts the byte stream from the client, and rebroadcasts it to all other clients "tuned-in". Since both non-UNICODE and UNICODE characters are bytes of data, it depends on if the client can understand them or not.

You should see that: when I send a message to the frequency I send on single character string. It contains information for the server to know that it is a message to a specific frequency and also the message itself. So I have to create a character string that holds the first part as single byte to allow the server understanding what it is, while the second part is a multibyte to transfer all characters.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted

So... A text transmission is done with two "packets"?

---

8942.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Yanis,

Negative. It is one single packet. One single character string. And the first part is single byte for sure as the servers have to interpret.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer