You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

British Airways shuttle flights

Al McCann

Al McCann
Posted
Posted

Greetings fellow pilots,

Is the SHT (shuttle) ICAO designator used for domestic flights and BAW (speedbird) for international flights? I saw BA2959 on the BA website (EGPF-EGKK) and it is sometimes flown online as SHT2959 and not BAW2959. How does one decide if it's a shuttle flight or a speedbird flight?

Cheers,

Al

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted

It's basically any domestic Flight within the UK that determines it as a SHT flight.

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

they all have different designators depending on route aswell, for example

every SHT6 will be EGLL-EGPF and SHT7 is EGPF-EGLL

I know a few controllers that hate it when pilots fly the SHT callsign for manchester into edinburgh etc.

SHT flight are only heathrow and gatwick domestics as far as I am aware though.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted
they all have different designators depending on route aswell, for example

every SHT6 will be EGLL-EGPF and SHT7 is EGPF-EGLL

I know a few controllers that hate it when pilots fly the SHT callsign for manchester into edinburgh etc.

SHT flight are only heathrow and gatwick domestics as far as I am aware though.

Craig

No SHT flights aren't only from Heathrow or Gatwick. Here are a list of Airports BA operate out of under the SHT Callsign

LHR

LGW

MAN

Newcastle

Aberdeen

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Also RAF Saint Mawgan

That's all UK Domestic airports they cover.

BTW They operate only A319/A320/B733's on these routes, although there is of course the odd occasion when it changes, last year a 777-200 was put on LHR-MAN.

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

yes but all are going to/from heathrow and gatwick hence SHT callsign. for example BA cityflyer is domestic callsign is flyer that is the GLA-LCY route they used to have BAconnect now owned by Flybe doing GLA-MAN and GLA-BHX and loganair doing all highland and island routes from scotland. all codeshares, subsideries and franchises all of which are uk domestic and none of which use the SHT callsign. you only get SHT when it is to or from Heathrow and gatwic. I am talking from Scotlands point of veiw but Im pretty sure that is correct.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted
yes but all are going to/from heathrow and gatwick hence SHT callsign. for example BA cityflyer is domestic callsign is flyer that is the GLA-LCY route they used to have BAconnect now owned by Flybe doing GLA-MAN and GLA-BHX and loganair doing all highland and island routes from scotland. all codeshares, subsideries and franchises all of which are uk domestic and none of which use the SHT callsign. you only get SHT when it is to or from Heathrow and gatwic. I am talking from Scotlands point of veiw but Im pretty sure that is correct.

Craig

Yeah apologise I misread your previous message, I thought you were saying the SHT flights are only for flights LHR - LGW, or similar.

Al McCann
Posted
Posted

Thanks Luke and Craig, this is making more sense now. How is the callsign for, say, SHT2M decided? The BA site lists flights only as BAxxxx, even if they are from or to Heathrow/Gatwick. Vroute lists them only as 'speedbird'xxxx flights as well. Where are Vatsim pilots getting the info for these callsigns?

Al

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

the few I know are

SHT2 EGLL-EGCC

SHT3 EGCC-EGLL

SHT6 EGLL-EGPF

SHT7 EGPF-EGLL

SHT8 EGLL-EGPH

SHT9 EGPH-EGLL

then you add whatever letter onto the end although im not sure how those are decided. there is also other for the newcatsle route and aberdeen routes etc.

As for the gatwick domesticsIm not sure how these are decided.

Pilots who fly these rotues are probably local to the area so know the callsigns or maybe a member of BAv though im not sure if they give the SHT callsign.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

The other thing is that the BA???? callsign is the IATA code seen by p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers and it can be quite different from the ICAO callsigns BAW or SHT and have a different set of numbers for the same flight. Completely imaginary example - p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers may see BA1234 but pilots/ATC could be using BAW5678 (Speedbird 5678) or indeed SHT9Y for what is the same flight so the BA website isn't the best source of callsigns for use on Vatsim! Some are indeed very similar though, my usual callsign BAW113 does operate in the real world for p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers as BA113.

Bill Casey

Al McCann
Posted
Posted
p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers may see BA1234 but pilots/ATC could be using BAW5678 (Speedbird 5678) or indeed SHT9Y for what is the same flight

Thanks Bill. For North American flights, I use Flightaware.com, and/or the StarAlliance electronic route timetable (for Air Canada). With these two sources I can get actual routes, altitudes, time of departure, aircraft type and callsign. It seems this kind of info is hard to come by in the UK.

the BA website isn't the best source of callsigns for use on Vatsim!

Then please, sir, enlighten me; what is the best source of callsigns for British Airways? (this was the basis for my original question!)

Al

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted
what is the best source of callsigns for British Airways?

BAV OSP.

You need to be an active member of British Airways Virtual though.

vatme-sig.jpg

Al McCann
Posted
Posted

Thanks Daniel. I thought this might be the case but wasn't sure if there were any other places on the web these flights could be located in order to represent the chosen flight accurately. For now I will continue using the BAxxxx from the BA website and Vroute as the source for my callsigns.

Cheers,

Al