You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Virtual memory issue Please help

Jonathan Sisco 1052019

Jonathan Sisco 1052019
Posted
Posted

I was hoping you guys could help me out with this.... First my system is windows Vista 32 with 2.86 dual core AMD and 2 Gigs of RAM. Also Im using a Geforce 8800GTS video card (not sure if that matters lol).

If I make a short flight plan say an hour or less... FSX works fine.... however if my flight lasts over say, 1 1/2 hours, I get a message that I've run out of virtual memory and the game shuts down.... It didnt do this when I first installed FSX months ago. I have read some posts elsewhere and the main thing people has suggested is go into my system settings and set my virtual memory to double my RAM size, so I've set my virtual memory to 4000mb and this has not fixed my problem.... I'm not as computer savvy as I would like to be so what could possible fix my problem? Also I was snooping around in my system settings and found a window for a memory dump, more specifically Kernel memory dump. When I click the drop down for this it gives me 4 options: (none)

small memory dump (64kb)

Kernel memory dump

Complete memory dump

Are these anything that can help me or should I leave it alone?

Thank you for your help in advance

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

With FSX RTM and SP1 running Vista x86, you will need to set FSX to utilize >2GB of address space. It doesn't matter how much system memory you have. FSX SP2 has this flag set by default.

Go here: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

Make a copy of your FSX.exe. Start the CFF Explorer and open your original FSX.exe. Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. Find the button labeled "click here". Click on it and select the mark at "App can handle> 2GB adressest". Save FSX.exe that you've just modified.

Next you'll need to open a command prompt with administrative privileges. Start > All Programs > Accessories then right-click on the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". Type this at the flashing cursor: BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2560

Reboot your machine.

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Jonathan Sisco 1052019
Posted
Posted

Thank you! I just did as you instructed.... and am about to fly a long flight to check it out. Do you or anyone have any idea why when I start FSX I get a addon scenery.115 not found error message? Thanks again.

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

It's some kind of scenery product that you've added previously and either uninstalled or deleted that didn't remove its information from your scenery.cfg file. The scenery.cfg file you're looking for is by default located here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

Try this scenery.cfg checker: http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/downloads/fsscenery.zip

It will check for errors and re-align the entries.

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Jonathan Sisco 1052019
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jim, I downloaded the FSscenery and ran it per the instructions. It did create a new scenery.cfg file but I still get the error message. I found out that the add-on scenery.115 is Reno for acceleration. Is there anything else I can do? I've uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times now and no joy.... Thanks in advance

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

I've only seen that error when removing a scenery product that doesn't clean up after itself. The only thing that comes to mind is that your installation was run without administrative privledges and is probably located in the Program Files folder. Without elevated privledges, the install has probably balked at something. If you decide to reinstall FSX, keep it in its own directory like C:\FSX. That will eliminate permissions issues and prevent these types of errors.

Also, if and when you uninstall FSX, make sure you manually delete all of the files and folders [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with FSX. They can be found in your My Docomeents, ProgramData as well as the Program Files folders. Turning off UAC and disk utilities like virus scanners might also be helpful, however they're usually so deeply rooted into the system, that trying to disable them becomes an effort in futility.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png