You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Alternative to joining Sunday 5th Event

Leslie Jarrett 913775

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

Probably too optomistic to get Indian Ocean included for Sunday , however why not organise on-going for 6 months time an Indian Ocean Day event. It would be an easy job to operate two main hubs of Maauritius and Reunion Island and pilots can island hop for short flights between the two , longer flights to Rodrigues, Seychelles , Madagascar , Comoros Islands and around the rim Internationals to and from the two airports. Maybe this could be done as a big opening ceremony of teh VATAME Indian Ocean Division. All it needs is for pilots and controllers to take up the positions and fly for one day. Maybe prior to this some of the airports could be opened up for atc on a one by one basis. The airports in the Indian Ocean region are not too complicated as a whole yet there are destinations around the area from the short hop from Reuinion to Mauritius 30 mins to 4 to 5 hours for J'burg and Cape Town Nairobi etc with inbetween flights to Seychelles and Madagascar. Hey we might even get some traffic from the other side i.e. India or Australia as they both have scheduled services by Air Mauritius in the real world. Putting an event together takes time so hence the 6 month suggestion. Any comments on this please.

7628.png

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted

Great idea! Please email Ilan Jonas, Lee Harman, and myself on this matter.

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

It was nice for somebody to say it was a great idea. However to set up an Indian Ocean Division needs a lot of work !!!!.

(a) You will need a head of division etc,

(b) website

© controllers trained in or for the Vacc's in that division.

To make an open day work you need to have something backing it up hence a,b,c above. It is no good getting a buch of controllers together for one day just to open aome airports and then it is left to rot !!.

There must be a whole load of pilots who would enjoy more frequent coverage in that area especiall the around the world chaps etc. You only have to look at a map and see that Mauritius and Reunion Island is right in the middle of the Wheel of Africa , Middle East , India and Australia.

For me personally I can help with B/C in that I could put together and spend time keeping the Web-site going and as an S1 I can operater TWR positions for a while and then move to the higher levels

Of Course as a pilot I will support the division by flying where traffic is required i.e. a training /mentoring session.

7628.png

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Hes the deputy region director for Africa and the Middle East. If you email him I think he can help you.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

The suggestion has been noted by the VAtame directors I believe already. I will need to wait for further action by them as I am not really qualified to become a director of a divisom created by Vatame. I can help yes. My suggestion was driving at completing suitable coverage for the region and to give more opportunites for ccontrollers to move up and run a division. And also a pratical solution to one of the problems VATSIm always has in 'trying' to operate open skies whilst encourage 'new controllers' to be mentored and trained as well as new pilots. You might ask how my suggestion would help.

(a) Firstly as small islands in the Indian Ocean i.e Reunion and Mauritius they are away from the main activity areas of South Africa the Middle EAst , Israel etc. and as such could be the regional Training Camp for VATAME. Why chose them because Reunion and Mauritius both can handle a variety of Aircraft from GA to 747 heavies.

(b) Reuinion is also under 50 mins flying from Mauritius so that in a 'NEW PILOT session you could possibly have a take off from Mauritius and landing in Reunion rather than just the circuit stuff .

© Mauritius and Reunion have some 'unique features' that can are beneficial for training purposes . FIMP - Mauritius does not really have a set of SIDS , routing I beleive is vectored to join En-route airways and it is ILS only at one end RWY 14. Thus FIMP can give a lot of learning types and material. Also VFR rather than IFR to ILS on 14 involves a skillful use of altitudes as the airport is on a flat coastal plain whilst the approaches to 14 are over the central plateau of Maritius. Therefore the aircraft has to descend in line with the height of the land. You can however have a sea-based approach to start with on RWY 32.

Going over to Reuinion Island and GILLOT airport then there are two runways to choose from with access to one involving crossing a runway which for training you would halt the aircraft before crossing the runway etc.

Note that Both airports require Backtrack for certain types of Aircraft on take off and on landing (FIMP) .

(d) ideal for controller training as technically though not strictly real world as they are in seperate FIR's you could handle a whole flight from departure in Mauritius to Arrival in Reunion Island.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough said in the subject now by me I do sincerely hope that my suggestions wet the appetite within Vatame for VATIOD (Indian Ocean Division) to be set up and run as a popular division of VATAME and of Vatsim.

Regards

Leslie Jarrett

7628.png

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

If my suggestion excuse the pun ever gets off the ground then I would like to put forward the logo of

"VATIOD - Indian Ocean Division"

The logo would have the motto "Crossing the Ocean"

imposed on an image of an aircraft over a tropical island shoreline.

7628.png