You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EuroScope freezing

Daniel Doorgakant

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Hey,

Recently EuroScope has been freezing everytime I do an action. It would be the normal 'EuroScope has stopped working. Close program. Wait for program to respond.'

Whether its from loading a sector file, setting my comms or checking my display settings, ES will freeze. But it comes back after about 10 seconds. This isn't good, what If im about to give a final vector and ES freezes? This happened in the last version of the 2.9's aswell.

Is there any solution? Im on Vista 32-bit.

vatme-sig.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Daniel,

So far no such issue was reported, so no real solution. Can you check me how your processor is used in this 10 seconds stop?

Another thing I would like to test: What happens with the voice during this 10 seconds. Does it stop too? What happens if you start another ES instance (that can not initialize the voice subsystem). Do you have the same issue with it?

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8351/es1jy6.png

This is the sort of thing that would happen when changing display settings etc.

es3az5.png

Voice goes blank for the duration of the freeze. As you can see EuroScope freezes on startup too. I wouldn't blame the PC as I was testing the other versions of EuroScope prior to the public release and they had no issues.

Any clues?

vatme-sig.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Daniel,

What was the last version you tested that did not have any similar problem?

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Version 2.9i.

I did not do much controlling on 2.9j or 2.9k but I remember this problem occuring whilst testing 2.9k. Definately not in 2.9i so somewhere in between.

vatme-sig.jpg

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

The more things I change, the longer the freeze too. I presume this is due to more resources. EuroScope really shouldn't take up so many though.

vatme-sig.jpg

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Gergely have you noticed that the error is appearing on loading the sectorfile??

Daniel check your sector. I had something similar. The reason was that I was giving ES to show all my fixs, VORs, NDBs and so on(and in my sector I had activeted RNAV fixs...so you can imagine the number of displaied elements and the load).

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Ok looks like I need to correct the sectorfile.

I tried the EGTT sectorfile that one the UK Staff members made for EuroScope, and when changing alot of things, there was no freeze.

After your porst Todor, I then decided to load the Hungarian profile and sectorfile and when toggling everything, no crash. Has to be the OMAE sector file, Which I can correct.

Thank you for the post Todor, I almost got it

vatme-sig.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Daniel,

I have to regret that displaying the content of the sectorfile is relatively slow in EuroScope as it does not use any kind of graphics acceleration just pure GDI calls to windows. That may slow down the system when you are moving, zooming-in and out. And it also happens when a new controller comes online or someone leaves as that time EuroScope recalculates the sector allocations. If you find it too slow I highly recommend displaying less elements on the screen as the refresh time depends only on the actually displayed elements and not on the elements of the sectorfile itself.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

You are very welcomed Daniel.