You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Divisional Adoption

Leslie Jarrett 913775

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

Is it possible for a division at present to adopt or supervise a country outside of its area if that country does not belong to a division and only belongs to VATAME. I would like to have some TWR mentoring but only at FIMP (Mauritius). I am not looking for anything else than TWR, I do not have the time at present to go for full S3/C1 training. Secondly I would not want to really train in an area that does not include the airports and countries I am interested in. I cannot see the full benefit of becoming an S3 in the Middle EAST region or to control a TWR in that area only to have to learn again the local procedures for your own area.

While there is no Division for Indian Ocean at present could not the following be done for a while to encourage the area to grow

(A) Adopt Mauritius and Madagascar Fir into South Africa.

(B) Adopt Seychelles to Middle EAST

© Provide training and mentoring within these divisions for the airports covered

I am sure like myself this solution benefits everyone as more of VATAME could get some coverage and also VATAME is supporting more airports where people want to control.

The inclusion is not so hard to put into place as a DIVISION can cover several countries anyway.

This maybe a better interim solution as a start for having a permanent Indian Ocean Division.

I would like to re-iterate that as an S1 I am only able to offer help with web-sites, TWR controlling and flying as part of being part of VATAME. My suggestions are therefore not a request to 'run' a division etc.

7628.png

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted

I guess that if you were to get some training at FIMP, you should be trained by somewhere close, like VATSAF or VATDRC. On the other hand, you may want to be trained by someone who has experience at that airport. The person that comes to mind is Daniel Doorgakant.

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

As I understand from the training issue is that one would need to be a member of a division, maybe that is wrong. However I see that Daniel is very busy with VATME and may not want to mentor somebody outside of his division. I could see that where there is a shortage of mentors then you would not want to join a divsion and find that there is no training because the trainers are all working outside of the division.

My hopes of being able to control TWR at FIMP are very small at present despite having the required rating in VATSIM to do so.

I just need somebody to explain local procedures and to observe me for a few sessions thats all. I would only operate and wish to operate TWR at FIMP.

I just hope somebody at VATAME has the sense to try and help rather that look for reasons why not to help.

Lets try and be positive on this. I am not even worried that some days there will not be any traffic for hours. In my experience pilots start going to airports as soon as there is a regular and good atc service. it like opening a new car servicing garage if you do a good job with one or two customers then often you will get a lot more.

7628.png

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Hey Leslie, When it comes to Mauritius I'll be more than happy to mentor you. I have mentored 2-3 controllers (with approval from Ilan Jonas) up to Area Control in Mauritius so it wouldn't be a problem. We just need to check with Ilan again.

With regards to VATAME, there are alot of undeveloped areas, believe me they are not neglected. Efforts were made to try and reform about 8-9 areas within the region. I think only 2 did (Congo and Jordan) with Emirates following. The problem was the lack of interest. It would be nice to see regular staffing of Mauritius as I hope to fly there more.

vatme-sig.jpg

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Daniel. Yes I can see your point in that for training yes perhaps I should broaden my horizon and look beyond just TWR as I guess that beyond TWR it gives the trainer more incentive as well. Originally I felt that by having to learn everything say about South Africa or Middle East Airspace would not fully benefit my interests. Yes I can take the training if prermission is given for you to help. Of course having more Indian Ocean trained staff is a winner all round as Of course if I am flying then there is nobody at home (Controlling in FIMP) if nobody is trained etc.

7628.png

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted
It would be nice to see regular staffing of Mauritius as I hope to fly there more.

Beautiful area it is.

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

In the real world as well as Flight Sim world !!!!!

7628.png

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted
In the real world as well as Flight Sim world !!!!!

Just an update, I'm speaking to Ilan about all of this Mr. Jarrett and you should be getting a response from Ilan or myself very soon.

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for the update, I guess it will take some time to decide what to do and to make a good decision on this subject.

7628.png

Ilan Jonas 860311
Posted
Posted
I guess it will take some time to decide what to do

It won't

Ilan Jonas

Senior Instructor-I3

Former Vatsim Africa/Middle East Region Director(2004-2012)

http://www.vatame.net

Leslie Jarrett 913775
Posted
Posted

When I meant some time I was thinking of a period of a few days . In my opinion the following time terms apply

NO TIME AT ALL - Already been done

NOW - About to start

FEW DAYS = SOME TIME which is probably a week

LONG TIME - Something that is not likely to ever get started

7628.png

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted
When I meant some time I was thinking of a period of a few days . In my opinion the following time terms apply

NO TIME AT ALL - Already been done

NOW - About to start

FEW DAYS = SOME TIME which is probably a week

LONG TIME - Something that is not likely to ever get started

My head is spinning!