You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA ACE Team?

John Cierpial 1008209

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

Is this still around? Do they have a site? What are the criteria to join. I am VERY interested in this and was wondering what the scoop is with it.

-Joe

CTP Planning Team Member

Alex Evins 976213
Posted
Posted

In order to apply for membership on this team of expert controllers, you must be an experienced C-3 rated controller with no disciplinary history, I think they are closed to applications now though. Ask Sam Hudis, he is a member.

Alex Evins

Senior Controller, New York ARTCC

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted

Joe,

ACE Team is still around but rarely used. In fact, the last event involving ACE team controllers was the Superbowl Fly-in in February. If you're still interested, I will post the membership procedure below, but don't expect too much action at this point. I will be working on revising this program in the future.

Hope this helps.

Josh

The ACE Team member selection process includes: 1) volunteering for the position 2) broad experience, 3) absence of disciplinary history, 4) recommendation of their ATM and 5) recommendation of their DAT after observing the online controlling skills of each applicant in their region.

Send all necessary emails to [email protected].

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

What's ACE?

Davor Kusec 990407
Posted
Posted
What's ACE?

My best understanding is that its an elite group of experienced air traffic controllers (C3 rating minimum) who help out the VATUSA ARTCC's that need some controllers to staff up for events or if there is an ARTCC that has been dead without much controlling going on in that ARTCC, they go out there and staff it up for a while. The tricky part is learning all of the ARTCC's and airports procedures in a short amount of time.

Davor Kusec

Air Traffic Director | Northeast Region VATUSA

Supervisor | VATSIM

990407.jpg

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
What's ACE?

My best understanding is that its an elite group of experienced air traffic controllers (C3 rating minimum) who help out the VATUSA ARTCC's that need some controllers to staff up for events or if there is an ARTCC that has been dead without much controlling going on in that ARTCC, they go out there and staff it up for a while. The tricky part is learning all of the ARTCC's and airports procedures in a short amount of time.

They are not alowed to control a dead ARTCC without the permission of the ATM of that ARTCC no matter what the situation

VATSIM Supervisor

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Oh okay. I think I remember hearing about this a long while back.

Alex Evins 976213
Posted
Posted (edited)

They're kind of like VATUSA's Delta Force

Edited by Guest

Alex Evins

Senior Controller, New York ARTCC

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted

...a figment of VATUSAs imagination.

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted

To clarify, the purpose of ACE Team is to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist in events when extra controllers are needed. ACE Team members are not authorized to staff "dead" airspace without following the steps required at that ARTCC to become a visiting controller.

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

Well then technically all of us are part of the ACE team cause if I want to help at the event at some ARTCC I just need to become a visitor there. By the sounds of it the ACE team doesn't do anything different from an ordinary visitor controller.

CTP Planning Team Member

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted
Well then technically all of us are part of the ACE team cause if I want to help at the event at some ARTCC I just need to become a visitor there. By the sounds of it the ACE team doesn't do anything different from an ordinary visitor controller.

During an event in which the host ARTCC contacts ACE Team requesting support, member controllers can participate without going through the visiting controller process. What I meant is that this is not allowed in normal operations.

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

I'm a part of the team... or was a part of it... haven't received any emails recently about events in need of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance though. Not sure if this just fell apart or what?

-AJ

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted

Andrew, like I said, the team is not utilized very often. You have not received any emails because the ACE Team has not been needed for any events in the recent past.

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

ah... missed your post Josh. Thanks - long night last night.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Michael Scott 970177
Posted
Posted

Yeah i can honestlly say i've seen it twice once for Zob's greater detriot event and the super bowl!!! always seemed like a good idea to get the staff you wanted to see...

Mike Scott

Air Traffic Manager

Cleveland ARTCC- VATUSA

Bernardo De Carvalho 97126
Posted
Posted

So ACE team is like the HIT SQUAD of VATUSA...Am I right?

Bernardo de Carvalho

"First, master the fundamentals"

4612.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted
So ACE team is like the HIT SQUAD of VATUSA...Am I right?

Well...I think the hit squad is more of a bunch of guys who open new places, and man a particular new ARTCC/FIR long-term to get things started. The ACE Team is used on more of a temporary basis, such as for a single event.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Karl Kleiber 812804
Posted
Posted

The Ace team was put together to help out smaller ARTCC's with big events. The reason for the qualifications is that you will have to learn the airspace in under a week on your own, thus the " expert controller" rating.

I have worked a few events with the ACE Team and found it to be a great time, and hopefully the ARTCC's liked the extra controller onboard.

Karl Kleiber

North American Deputy Director

atc1o.png