You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Config enough for FSX ?

Siddhant Shah 988873

Siddhant Shah 988873
Posted
Posted

Well finally, I'm getting a new notebook for myself

I've fixed myself to Dell Inspiron 1420 which has the following config :

Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T8100

2.1GHz, 3MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium - with AERO experience

14.1â€

Siddhant Shah

C1, Vatsim India

6887.png

Siddhant Shah 988873
Posted
Posted

someone please help !

i need to get a notebook as soon as possible !

Do you think getting the CPU to 2.3 or 2.2 GHz in lieu of decreasing RAM to 3 GB will be beneficial ?

coz i've read in the forums that FS is more CPU intensive ?

Siddhant Shah

C1, Vatsim India

6887.png

Brad Scarlett 863372
Posted
Posted
someone please help !

i need to get a notebook as soon as possible !

Do you think getting the CPU to 2.3 or 2.2 GHz in lieu of decreasing RAM to 3 GB will be beneficial ?

coz i've read in the forums that FS is more CPU intensive ?

Hi Siddhant. This is difficult to answer, as there can be many variables with the expectation of performance. I have ran FS on laptops/notebooks previously but hav enot been really happy with the performance, with the exception of the DELL XPS, so I dont use them anymore for FS. Also a laptop cannot change out the graphic capabilities, as a desktop can, so you can't take advantage of newer hardware to enhance the experience.

FS is indeed CPU heavy. I run an AMD dual core chip (2.6GH, 5000+) and the core that handles the primary FS 'stuff' is almost always 90% and higher. The second core takes care of texture loads and such and is very bursty in nature, but most often runs about 60% busy. On my system and configuration, memory for FSX usually takes about 800 MB - 1GB once loaded, so 2GB is the bare minimum; 4GB is better. Video card memory size is important as that holds the textures that FS will need to show on each frame..if the memory is too low then FS needs to send textures to the card more ofthen, which will slow down FS in general, and can affect frame rates. I use an 8800GT w/512MB.

I don't know if this is of any help but there it is..

7814.png

Siddhant Shah 988873
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brad, I appreciate your help

I have ran FS on laptops/notebooks previously but hav enot been really happy with the performance, with the exception of the DELL XPS, so I dont use them anymore for FS.

But the config I've got lined up is almost the same as the XPS 1525 I believe

So is there anything "extra" like a diff type of motherboard, faster bus speeds or anything like that in them that makes them better than this one?

Also a laptop cannot change out the graphic capabilities, as a desktop can, so you can't take advantage of newer hardware to enhance the experience.

I know, but I do need a laptop rather than a desktop

Video card memory size is important as that holds the textures that FS will need to show on each frame..if the memory is too low then FS needs to send textures to the card more ofthen, which will slow down FS in general, and can affect frame rates. I use an 8800GT w/512MB.

As I mentioned above, Dell says there can't be anything better than the 8400M GS which can be put.

Are there any graphic cards which can replace the 8400M and not cause any heating problems?

I can get this replacement done after an year when the warranty expires

So all I can make out of this is that I have to be content with FS9 for the moment till we get notebooks with the 8800M GTX in India (probably just about an year, we don't have Sager or Alienware here )

FS9 would work fine with high settings and add ons like the LDS 767 and the PMDG 737/747

Or WILL IT ?

I don't know if this is of any help but there it is.. Very Happy

Well, it surely did help

Cheers,

Siddhant (sorry for the long post )

Siddhant Shah

C1, Vatsim India

6887.png