You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC new feature??

Jose A. Vega 942014

Jose A. Vega 942014
Posted
Posted

Good afternoon.

Just wondering is there any way that we could get VRC or any other radar client to show weather on the scope like the real radars?

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

It's been asked before, and the answer was No. Its far too complicated to emulate WX on the scope with everyone using different weather sources. etc.. do a search on the forums, and you'll get more info about it.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Actually I'm pretty sure Ross said it wouldn't be complicated. The only thing that prevents it from working correctly, as Paul stated above, is that VATSIM doesn't really have standardized weather (yet), so a thunderstorm cell 20 miles west of Denver might be 10 miles west to a flight simulator pilot. Until VATSIM gets standardized weather, your request can't be granted.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't go so far as to say it wouldn't be complicated. I haven't put any thought into how you'd do it other than while typing this message, but what would you do?

Drawing the weather is simple. Figuring out what to draw where is not.

Is there some source of doppler data that could show the location, size, shape and intensity of a storm that could be p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]d? If not, what else you going to do? Download a radar picture and perform image analysis on it?

In short, unless there's a simple data-fed method of which I'm not aware, I can see how it could easily become very complex.

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

For the US anyway, NWS/NOAA puts out copious amounts of weather data into the public domain and radar is part of it.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/rpccds.html

The rest of the world... who knows? The US is fairly unique in how many cool "freebies" we can get from our government.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Jose A. Vega 942014
Posted
Posted

Ok thxs for your thoughts guys. It would be a great to see in the future. Let's keep our finger crossed.

Alex Vainer 929287
Posted
Posted

This would be very cool, if and ONLY if, EVERYONE had the exact same weather, in the same exact spot. I think until then, adding this feature would only lower realism.

Alex "AV" Vainer C1

Los Angeles ARTCC

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted
Actually I'm pretty sure Ross said it wouldn't be complicated. The only thing that prevents it from working correctly, as Paul stated above, is that VATSIM doesn't really have standardized weather (yet),

And that's exactly why it IS Complicated.

• 7 months later...
Brendan Samson 1070087
Posted
Posted

Here is a GREAT free-be from the US Gov, its where most Weather Stations get their data

http://climate.ok.gov/software/

Note: it can be hard to setup, private Message me for help.

8629.png

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

No real relevance here; getting real-world weather radar has no use when you have no guarantee that pilots are seeing anything approaching the same thing.

Tim Krajcar