You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Range rings question

Chris Makris

Chris Makris
Posted
Posted

I have searched but didn't find anything regarding this.

Is it possible in a future version range rings to be implemented? It is a valuable piece of information to have on the scope especialy for Approach positions.

Thx

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I can't remember the rings been implemented....but I may be mistaken Do you really use them...I never even opened them when I was using ASRC or VRC.

Chris Makris
Posted
Posted

Personally when I used ASRC/VRC as an approach controller I always had them ON. You can get man info by them.

Philip Smith 997355
Posted
Posted

Range rings was commented before, but almost nobody use them, specially simulating european systems. By the way, with VRC are useful because you don't have leader vectors. ES don't need them, it has many advance tools that put range rings on the past. My humble opinion, Philip.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I personally never used range rings too, but actually it is not a complex feature. It can be implemented easily if we need it.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 2 years later...
Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

It's long since the last post. I can see the range rings setting item in the symbology window. Does it mean that range rings are now implemented, or just a feature for usage in the future?

Thanks in advance,

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Now you've brought it back up, I work a small field outside CAS in the UK with mainly VFR traffic. No flight plan routes to resolve and no airspace map - range rings would be very useful (and realistic) but I realise this is a very uncommon use of the scope on VATSIM and I manage perfectly OK without them.

I saw the colour setting option in Symbology settings as well (I think it's always been there) and I once spent ages searching the settings for how to switch them on! I searched the wiki and found no reference to range rings!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

The range rings still have not been implemented on the latest Beta, I will add this post to the wish list

non-discript self importance signature

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Range rings was commented before, but almost nobody use them, specially simulating european systems. By the way, with VRC are useful because you don't have leader vectors. ES don't need them, it has many advance tools that put range rings on the past. My humble opinion, Philip.

VRC does have leader vectors in the modes that have them in the real world.

For what it's worth, I use range rings to quickly judge the distance from an aircraft to the runway threshold when working approach or tower. Granted, there are other ways to do this, such as using tick marks in the sector file data.

The only reason I might suggest having them in ES is to more easily simulate additional real-world systems that use them.

Then again, might be better to just leave it to a plugin.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I guess it is really easy to do it in a plug-in.

The range ring in the symbology dialog reflects to the visual range circles. You can see your VATSIM limits with them.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

It can be done, CANSCOPE has them but not sure how this was achieved.

Mark.

847924.png

• 2 months later...
Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

CANscope doesn't have range rings. I would know for sure...

The only thing that our plugin does is put the tracking controller's ID above the radar position symbol (target). The rest is strictly predefined settings, profiles, views and sector files for 5 supported FIRs, along with updated data files and an ATIS voice pack.

By the way, our URL changed to http://canscope.vatcan.org recently.

Edit: It would not be realistic for us to show range rings unless you're simulating the epoch of slash/double slash screens... That's all they had actually...

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

>

The next version of TAAATSMod features optional range rings (like the real system, though hardly any controllers use them).

They can be anchored at a fixed location or float in the centre of the screen.

plugt.jpg

plug>

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide some quick and nasty circle drawing code to someone who wants to implement it in a plugin. But it is really very easy.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Posted
Posted

The one thing that comes close to rings in Canadian systems is halos. Halos are just like rings but they can be placed only around RPS (targets) or around the cursor (mouse).

As a trainee, I used the cursor halot often as a scale 'til I got used to the sector map etc.

I'ld greatly appreciate your source code Jake. I'll need a programmer too, willing to make it a stand-alone plugin. It wouldn't hurt to allow fixed halos in it...

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well DX, we talked about it

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted
The one thing that comes close to rings in Canadian systems is halos. Halos are just like rings but they can be placed only around RPS (targets) or around the cursor (mouse).

As a trainee, I used the cursor halot often as a scale 'til I got used to the sector map etc.

I'ld greatly appreciate your source code Jake. I'll need a programmer too, willing to make it a stand-alone plugin. It wouldn't hurt to allow fixed halos in it...

Shoot me an email detailing exactly what you want with the Halo's (size, colour, etc.) and I'll see what I can do. If all you want is a very simple plugin to draw a few circles, I should be able to quickly put one together for you. If not I'll send through the small section of code I use for my range rings.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

• 2 weeks later...
Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Any chance there's a way to enable the range rings similar to VRC's feature? I find it to be a useful tool when controlling APP and it would be really nice to see ES have this feature that can be toggled under the display settings.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Scott Diamond 1001574
Posted
Posted

Yep, Romano, I'd also like to see this useful VRC feature in EuroScope.

• 3 months later...
Alex Wraith 1050317
Posted
Posted

Hello guys & girls,

I was just wondering if anybody has actually made a simple plug-in for range rings on Euroscope? I would love to able to have them on my set-up.

Cheers,

Alex

• 5 months later...
Posted
Posted

Here's a description how range rings are used by some (rare) of our controllers at the Montreal ACC.

The feature lets you put rings around one (or more) points on the screen (by click or named position) and set the number of rings and spacing. You can also chose to show the rings as arcs (by setting a from ° / to ° radials). This make things look much cleaner...

Now go ahead and sequence low level and fit them 5 miles in trail!

Any more free time Jake?

• 2 years later...
Dante Nikolovski 1262085
Posted
Posted

Still nothing on the range rings?

Dante Nikolovski

Training Director at MACvACC

VATEUD Divisional Instructor

[email protected]

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Dante Nikolovski 1262085
Posted
Posted
.rings

Tnx a lot Pierre!!! Any idea how to dim the range rings, changed the color, but want to dim them, so that they will be 1% visible i.e almost invisible , but to be there.

Dante Nikolovski

[email protected]

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Why don't you make the color just a little brighter then the color below? EuroScope does not support transparency for map elements.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Dante Nikolovski 1262085
Posted
Posted
Why don't you make the color just a little brighter then the color below? EuroScope does not support transparency for map elements.

Tried that, but it is still colorful, the background is black and grey. I don't know if plugin is available, but it would be cool to have one.

Dante Nikolovski

[email protected]