You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vor ad ndb with same name

Luca Vetturi 874351

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm defining, one by one, all the sids and stars for the italian airports in the ese file.

Having a lot of airports with, let's say, a VOR and an NDB with the same 3-letter identifier, how can I specify it?

example:

STAR:LIME:28:LUSIL1S:LUSIL ORI ORI

The first ori to be called is an NDB, the second one is a VOR.

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

Does it matter? Surely if they have the same identifier they should also be collocated (or very close to each other anyway), so for the purpose of drawing the route in EuroScope it shouldn't matter.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted

ehm... they're 5NM apart... It wouldn't have sense otherwise...

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

If you ask me two, different beacons with the same name in the same procedure is ridiculous and potentially unsafe, but I guess that's not our problem.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

It is not unsafe....otherwise there were accidents every day! Are there accidents due to this? No. Question answered.

One option may be to rename all NDBs in your database and append the two letters "NB" to them. ORI would become ORINB. In the databases of Honeywell Flight Management Systems it is done this way.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

mmmm....I may be mistaken but ES does draws the sid from left to right (in the definition)....Did you try that STAR...how did it look? But I must admit this is a case which hasn't be even thought.

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

ES wouldn't be able to make a difference between the VOR and the NDB. It would probably use the first one in the sectorfile.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted
mmmm....I may be mistaken but ES does draws the sid from left to right (in the definition)....Did you try that STAR...how did it look? But I must admit this is a case which hasn't be even thought.

Ok, I know it goes left to right... I'm asking if there's a way to let this thing work. There's a star where a pilot must first fly to ORI ndb, then to ORI vor.

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted
One option may be to rename all NDBs in your database and append the two letters "NB" to them. ORI would become ORINB. In the databases of Honeywell Flight Management Systems it is done this way.

Thank you Andreas, that's a nice idea.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted
It is not unsafe....otherwise there were accidents every day! Are there accidents due to this? No. Question answered.

"Proceed direct Oscar Romeo India"... What does that mean if there are two beacons called ORI in the same procedure?

Of course there are workarounds to this, but it doesn't mean that it's advisable to design a procedure in that way.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Martin,

because in the real world we do not fly procedurs "raw data" anymore but with an FMC only. The SIDs are programmed into it and we just check whether it is correct (according to the charts) or not. If there is a VOR and an NDB of the same ID and Name, ATC will tell you to proceed either to the locator/NDB or to the VOR. If a pilot is not sure, he will ask Yepp, that's the real world.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

Of course, all I am saying is that if you (the authority giving identifiers to nav aids) have the choice to choose different IDs for different beacons, then obviously that would be the best course of action.

Also, not everybody has an FMS even these days... and ATC and procedures aren't perfect everywhere in the world.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Back to the original question: EuroScope is unable to distinguish between the VOR and NDB if they have the same name. It will search for one type first and if the name is found then the other type is ignored at all. Andreas' idea could work as it makes the name unique. May be we have to add an optional type specifier like ORI(NDB) and ORI(VOR).

Gergely.

EuroScope developer