You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Addons in FSX

Stephen Sculley-Beaman

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

I tried to install some Metro VA planes today by putting them in the Aircraft folder of the FSX directory, but for some reason they aren't showing up? Anyone have some wisdom to offer?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I tried to install some Metro VA planes today by putting them in the Aircraft folder of the FSX directory, but for some reason they aren't showing up? Anyone have some wisdom to offer?

FSX doesn’t check the Aircraft folder by default as does FS9. FSX will check the Objects\Airplanes folder. It will give an error is there is Aircraft there that it has problems loading. So if you put it in the proper folder, it’ll either load and or you’d see the appropriate errors.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted

Don't forget, if it's originally a FS2004 A/C, then everything will work (Model, Sound, VC), but the Panel & Gauges, because it's a different format in FSX.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

That's not technically correct Luke - many FS2004 guages will happily run in FSX.

Larry mentioned that FSX doesn't by default check the aircraft folder. To change this behaviour you need to edit fsx.cfg adding an additional line for the aircraft folder (look for simobjects and use it as a template)

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted
That's not technically correct Luke - many FS2004 guages will happily run in FSX.

Larry mentioned that FSX doesn't by default check the aircraft folder. To change this behaviour you need to edit fsx.cfg adding an additional line for the aircraft folder (look for simobjects and use it as a template)

But the actual Panel files are .DLLs? At least that's what I remember from BETA testing FSX.

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much Norman

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Where's the fsx.cfg? I've been searching the fs directory for about 15 minutes, can't find it?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Where's the fsx.cfg? I've been searching the fs directory for about 15 minutes, can't find it?

%appdata%\microsoft\fsx

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Can anyone show me what I'm suppossed to put? Looks like it can be easily screwed up

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=aircraft

The bold entry is what you need to add. Make sure the number (in my example it is 6) is sequential.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much