You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

pc freezing at desktop, any tech help badly needed

paul westcott

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

good morning all,

as the title says my pc is freezing on the desktop within minutes of it starting up,

ok recently ive changed my thermal grease from this horrible white gooey stuff that was plastered all over the cpu, (and what looked like was on far too thick) to arctic thermal 5, and although you arent suposed to see temp differences staight away - i did, albeit only 2 deg.

anyways i phoned the shop(in london) and they are saying to send it back because my heatsink isnt seated properly(even though i know it is).

Now it freezes regardless of it being in safe mode, or booting it from last known good config, and from my desktop i cant get into it for long enough to send an email to the shop to confirm i need a pick up arranged.

(i may have tried to remove a little bit dust from the cpu socket when the cpu was out, but i dont think i have damaged any of the connectors) if this was the case would these be my symptoms?????

any help would be most appreciated, as i am on an old pc here that is making me pull even more hair out!!!!!!

regards

paul

newironmic.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Take it into the shop.

It could be any number of things, including damaged CPU or improperly installed heatsink. Better to just take it into the shop than possibly doing damage by repeatedly restarting it.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Could be anything! In the process of removing/replacing heatsinks the following have been known to occur (non-exhaustive list):

Slight flex of the m/b causing slight unseating of another component

Big flex of the m/b causing the above and/or damage to the PCB

Cables getting moved and causing imperfect connections (or indeed no connection at all) or blocking airflows

Not everything being plugged back in before putting case back on

Elements of fluff, grease, general 'stuff' getting into sockets and holes and causing poor connections or shorts

Static zap from not earthing oneself properly before/during the process - anything can catch this one and it's a killer of components

... the potential list of possibilities and combinations is m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive. Garry's right, take to da shop.

Bill Casey

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

hey guys, thanks for the response guys,

I am waiting on dino getting back to me, despite now two emails (i phoned them and they asked me if i wanted to arrange a pick up to do the request by email, to which there is no response).

Bill, out of what you all said, the most probable cause (i think) is the detritus getting in the socket, because - i understand that things can short and went to some length to make sure i was earthed as to not(i have actually had a few years on pcb work, so know that damage can be done,) damage anything.

my heatsink was a piece of cake to come out and go back in, so smudging of the grease about i dont think is a worry, erm, flexing the mobo, im not sure about because of the way my heatsink is attached(golden orb "2) and all connections have been double checked and double checked again(there was only one),

my cpu i know only goes in one way and took great care taking it out and putting it back in, and from the bios i know my cpu and mobo temps are ok(these temps are the current temps not from when it was running maxed out (both at either 34/35) )never higher.

many thanks, and regards guys

paul

newironmic.jpg