You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

will my laptop be good with fs9

Anthony Belton-Ford 102141

Posted
Posted

I just ordered at HP HP pavilian dv9720 notebook :

What will fs9 run with these specs :

windows vista ( ill get xp )

AMD turion 64X2 mobile techbology TL - 64

250GB SATA hard drive disk 5400RPM

17" WXGA screen

2048 mb ram

any ideas

Norman Guffick 935816
Posted
Posted

Should run fine, but stay away from VISTA LOL

Norm

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

17" WXGA screen

2048 mb ram

any ideas

It will work fine. I'm sure you'll be impressed with Vista, especially the SP1 upgrade. I would consider it important to give it a fare chance and look at the new way of doing things rather than trying to do them they way they were done in Windows 31, 95 or XP.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Norm

I dont know why you don't like vista. I have vista home premium and wouldn't trade it for anything. The fact that vista can recover programs that would have been long gone with XP is amazing and the power of the OS is just increadible.

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted

The last two posts are the first I've EVER read with a positve opinion on Vista.

I am just floored.

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

I really don't see the issue people have with vista. with a more powerfull operating system will come a learning curve. I will admit that vista is not a beginners operating system. if your a hardcore gamer and someone who uses powerful programs on you pc then go with vista if you just are going to be using word go with XP.

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
if your a hardcore gamer and someone who uses powerful programs on you pc then go with vista if you just are going to be using word go with XP.

I haven't see any compelling reason to run Vista, no matter what type of software I'm using.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

well when FSX somehow freezes vista will recover it in 20 seconds at most and with xp it might take 10-15 minutes. I know because i had xp before vista (go figure). I think that right there is the best reason.

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
well when FSX somehow freezes vista will recover it in 20 seconds at most and with xp it might take 10-15 minutes. I know because i had xp before vista (go figure).

Fascinating. What do you mean by "recover it"? Shut it down, or does it unfreeze?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Whenever a program freezes it locks the screens then asks if you want it to recover the programs or just close them. no point in closing them since when i hit recover it will recover it within seconds.

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
if your a hardcore gamer and someone who uses powerful programs on you pc then go with vista if you just are going to be using word go with XP.

I haven't see any compelling reason to run Vista, no matter what type of software I'm using.

Cheers!

Luke

The main programs that I use appear to work more efficiently under Vista (Premier Pro and Flight Simulator X). It’s hard to compare because I don’t have the exact hardware configuration on the Windows XP machines in my shop.

When Vista was first released and I upgraded my main machine I was very happy with the way the programs ran. I had a disturbing problem, which I resolved to live with, and that was normal file IO. Copying, moving, and deleting files took a ridiculously long time. This issue was addressed by Microsoft and resolved with the release of SP1.

I recently upgraded my hardware and my system wouldn’t boot, so I did a reinstall of everything. During this process, I watched and notice a significantly increase in FPS when I went from FSX SP1 to FSX SP2. The FPS more than doubled when I turned on the DX10 preview. So that showed me that running this favorite App, FSX benefits from Vista, which as far as I know, is the only way to have access to DX10.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Lary James 901346 "FSX benefits from Vista, which as far as I know, is the only way to have access to DX10"

I think that sums it up for the people who run FSX

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Norm

I dont know why you don't like vista. I have vista home premium and wouldn't trade it for anything. The fact that vista can recover programs that would have been long gone with XP is amazing and the power of the OS is just increadible.

Agreed. And has anyone noticed that most of the people that bash vista have never really used it?

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
So that showed me that running this favorite App, FSX benefits from Vista, which as far as I know, is the only way to have access to DX10.

Sounds good - I'm glad that worked out for you. I'm curious to see what other people have noticed with DX10; I've read enough on the AVSIM forums to make me suspect that DX10 is a bit of a [Mod - lovely stuff]shoot; the range of outcomes seem quite variable. Out of curiosity, what video card are you using?

Cheers!

Luke

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
So that showed me that running this favorite App, FSX benefits from Vista, which as far as I know, is the only way to have access to DX10.

Sounds good - I'm glad that worked out for you. I'm curious to see what other people have noticed with DX10; I've read enough on the AVSIM forums to make me suspect that DX10 is a bit of a [Mod - lovely stuff]shoot; the range of outcomes seem quite variable. Out of curiosity, what video card are you using?

Cheers!

Luke

GeForce 8800GTS.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Posted
Posted

loool i knew i should not have mentioned the windows vista home premium - just wanted to know weather the laptop would run fs9 ok .

But since reading your views and opinions on windows viasta home premium , i might research it up , because i have no idea how vista runs.

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted

Well, if you buy a laptop, chances are you will be using a router.

Combined with vista, and any anti virus software you are using, Using squawkbox is going to be hard.

Word of warning

sig.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
loool i knew i should not have mentioned the windows vista home premium - just wanted to know weather the laptop would run fs9 ok .

But since reading your views and opinions on windows viasta home premium , i might research it up , because i have no idea how vista runs.

Actually I believe it was to your advantage to mention what you actually have. I consider the feedback valuable. Of course there are some that won’t see merit and some who will.

One of my clients bought a new Laptop that had Vista and asked me to install his preferred Windows XP on the machine. I did, almost none of the hardware would work after the XP installation. I contacted the manufacturer for drivers. They told me the computer was damaged by installing the wrong OS. They said they didn’t have nor didn’t support XP on the computer. Because the client had purchased special warrantee, they replaced the Laptop with a brand new one (a kind of radical thing to do since all would have been necessary was to run the factory recovery disk). So if for some reason you prefer not to have Vista, you’d have to specify it directly to insure you retain your warrantee and manufacturer support.

By the way after the being stuck with using Vista, the client discovered he has the best deal and would never go back. I believe this would go for just about anybody that gives vista a fair enough chance. It has lots of features that someone might not notice until they have used it for a while. Many of these features are different from Windows XP. If someone was struggling trying to use Vista as if it were XP, they might have problems. But if they use Vista as Vista they would probably appreciate what they have. I use both. I don’t have a problem with either. However, I find Vista by far easier to use and support. Vista is on just one of the 9 computers in my shop… my main computer, the one I use almost exclusively.

I believe you’re lucky to be getting Vista. If you had, had this discussion before making your order, you might have been talked into specifying XP. I believe that would have placed you into a bracket that you would have gotten more used to the older OS… knowing you’re eventually upgrade, and making it just that much longer before you get used to the new OS, which I’m sure, if you use your Vista machine for a month, then go an use someone’s XP machine, you’d miss your Vista.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

The biggest benefit with Vista is of course that you can use my Vatsim gadget.

Vista is a great OS in my opinion. Not sure how well FS9 runs on it but FSX works fine here (DX9 as I am personally not getting good results with FSX DX10 on my Radeon HD3850).

And at least try to keep the security (UAC) on... it is worth it, even though it can be annoying at times. And it's most annoying when you just got your computer and are setting everything up. When you got all your stuff installed you won't see it nearly as often.

Vista also offers some great features for laptops, including the mobility center which gives quick access to settings that are useful on laptops, improved support for multiple monitors (handy when you connect a monitor or beamer to your laptop; unlike XP, it'll pop up a dialog asking you if you want to use mirror mode or dual view, and remembers your settings per monitor), presentation mode (disables screen saver and prevents system dialogs from interrupting you when you're presenting), more advanced power settings, and if your hardware supports it, hybrid sleep (a sleep mode that holds the middle between standby and hibernate; basically it puts your laptop in standby but also writes the memory to disk so if you lose power it can still resume, and after a specified time period it will hibernate completely to save battery; I always put my laptop in hybrid sleep, I never shut it down and only reboot for updates once a month at most). Wireless networking is also much improved.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted
Combined with vista, and any anti virus software you are using, Using squawkbox is going to be hard.

I thought SB3 didn't work on Vista at all, so he'd have to use FSInn 1.3, right?

7996.png

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

I thought SB3 didn't work on Vista at all, so he'd have to use FSInn 1.3, right?

SB3 works fine with Vista. I have it installed on my machine.

I don't think Vista adds any specific enhancements to FS9 (as it does with FSX), but since the Vista compatible machines have better hardware performance than the computers around during the release of FS9, they run FS9 nicely.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Posted
Posted

whats DX10 , DX9 SP1 and SP2 i know it,s service pack 1 / 2 but what is it ?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
whats DX10 , DX9 SP1 and SP2 i know it,s service pack 1 / 2 but what is it ?

DX10 is the latest version of Microsoft’s DirectX (Multimedia Application Programming Interface). DX10 being the latest version is only available with Windows Vista. It requires supporting hardware which is also shipped with most of the newer computers that are designed for Vista compatibility.

With each generation of DirectX comes faster and more detailed graphics display. Each generation of DirectX provides more realism of the graphic displays.

DX10, not having been available with the release of FS9, doesn’t have build in support for it. So it won’t benefit from the new features of the latest API. However, DX10 does have downward compatibility for programs that uses DX9, so the older programs will still run. They’ll run basically the same way they would on the DX9 only machines.

Since the release of FSX there has been two service packs (SP1 and SP2). SP1 fixes a number of bugs that were discovered after FSX was released. I’m sure it also fixes a number of bugs that the developers were still working on when they released the best they had at the time, in trying to meet their release date.

SP2 mainly provides the DX10 support which wasn’t available during the development of FSX.

Vista also has a service pack release (SP1) which fixes bugs that were discovered after its shipment.

There are lots of details that could be included, but I believe that’s the main gist.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

17" WXGA screen

2048 mb ram

any ideas

Anthony,

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the wait for your new laptop. Keep happy and smiling, have some inflight entertainment. Because when your new machine will arrive, it will run your FS9 AND SB3 with VISTA just fine!

Don't pay too much attention to the messages that would scare you off.

FS9, SB3, FSInn, they all run fine under VISTA with routers, wireless connections, firewalls and antivirus programs.

There are some details to take care of so that FS9 will not conflict with Vista Aero environment, but it is not even necessary to turn aero off. Fire up the system, install away, search the forums for support. In these forums I found ALL the information I needed.

If you encounter any hard to kill obstacle, you can send me a PM and I'll be happy to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist if I can.

Unless you have specific reasons to revert to XP, AND if you are prepared to spend some time to learn about a new and better environment, I would encourage you to stick with Vista to begin with and give it a fair try. I am not a MS fan myself. But I must say I love Vista now and I would never consider replacing it with XP.

Antonio

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

SB3 works fine with Vista. I have it installed on my machine.

Ok, I just remembered that wrong then, I thought FSInn 1.3 was required for either Vista or FSX, but apparently not (since I have Vista and FSX, I do need it).

7996.png