You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Embry-Riddle thinks highly of VATSIM?

Brad Littlejohn

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any? apparently, they're quite fond of us, as they've provided a link to VATSIM off of their age for getting a B.Sc. in Air Traffic Management. Does anyone know any of the administration there?

http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/b-airtraffmgmt.html

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

It just so happens I'm in the program myself . I'm actually majoring in Aeronautical Science (pilot), but I decided to pick up a minor in ATC. Unfortunately, I don't know of many people here that use VATSIM, although I did see some flyers floating around campus for a couple of days about a new virtual ATC club that was supposedly forming on campus. I contacted the email address on the flyer and never received a reply. If I was going to be here for another couple of years, I'd take the initiative and start up the club, but I just graduated on Saturday.

Mark Lee 855721
Posted
Posted

Hi Travis,

I'm pretty sure it was James Hamann over at ZAB who was starting that club, can't be a 100% sure though.

Mark Lee

Senior Controller

VATeir - Irish Region

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

VATSIM has about 240 Embry-Riddle students. Many have registered in the last month.

RJ

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

I just found about 20 of them through an online community known as "the facebook". I'll be recruiting

Logan Gloss-Ivory 812647
Posted
Posted

Aviation schools are the way to go. I know three in Houston, one in Minneapolis, and one in Chicago who are aviation students with me here in town...

Logan Gloss

Matthew Sisson 868225
Posted
Posted
Aviation schools are the way to go. I know three in Houston, one in Minneapolis, and one in Chicago who are aviation students with me here in town...

Where are the three in Houston? I am moving to Houston in a few weeks. Thanks

God Bless

<>< Matthew Sisson ><>

ZFW ARTCC's Event Coordinator

DVA MD-88 Chief Pilot-DAL1194

1031.png

Logan Gloss-Ivory 812647
Posted
Posted

Sorry I need to specify, 5 of the VATSIM controllers I go to school with, three are with ZHU...

Logan Gloss

• 8 months later...
Fernando Sedeno 916182
Posted
Posted

wow I didnt know that VATSIM was that popular. lol

Fernando Sedeno

XPA015

"Keep those main rotor's turning"

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

I think I'll pat VATSIM on its back.....we are that popular. Since we opened our virtual doors in late July 2001, probably well in excess of 150,000 people have joined from all over the globe (note: from time-to-time, we do clean up our database and post the number of active members on the homepage but the figure I'm quoting is people who fill out an application and get an account).

To all the Embry-Riddle folks who may be reading this....welcome!!! Maybe we can learn a thing or two from you guys. What a great community this is!

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Scott Bickford
Posted
Posted
VATSIM has about 240 Embry-Riddle students. Many have registered in the last month.

and some graduates, like me!

Scott Bickford

810789.png

810789.png

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure, but that may be due to a ZAB's Justin Ingersol's ERAU VATSIM club?

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

There is a flood of Embry students at Jacksonville. We are going to be standing up the Daytona TRACON shortly, and it will be run by an ATC Management major. We have many many people who have made requests to join the ARTCC as Visiting Controllers to work the Daytona area, as well as many who have become members. I'm finding that the response to our training and mangement style has been positive. That and the incredible increase in operational numbers over the past 4 months has led to a sharp increase in the exposure of Jacksonville ARTCC to the Daytona Embry students. So much so that I am considering making Daytona TRACON only available to Embry Students. I anticipate great things to be coming out of Daytona in the coming months!

As Daytona gets stood up, we are going to be doing a number of things to generate exposure to the area. Couple excellent traffic and excellent control from people who are actively working to make ATC a career, and the results will be outstanding.

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted
I am considering making Daytona TRACON only available to Embry Students. I anticipate great things to be coming out of Daytona in the coming months!

I thought VATSIM was an INCLUSIVE environment, not EXCLUSIVE. Wouldn't that violate VATNA's visiting controller policy?

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Jason Harris 877712
Posted
Posted
I am considering making Daytona TRACON only available to Embry Students. I anticipate great things to be coming out of Daytona in the coming months!

I thought VATSIM was an INCLUSIVE environment, not EXCLUSIVE. Wouldn't that violate VATNA's visiting controller policy?

I agree! Didn't you (Mr. Gerke) go through a bout of outrage a few months ago because you wanted to set a policy of no visiting controllers? From whay I can see you are doing a GREAT JOB of running and promoting your ARTCC. For the sake of harmony and VATSIM, please rethink policies in which you exclude large numbers of VATSIM members from controlling positions in your ARTCC.

Jason Harris

3712.png

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not trying to be exclsionary, but with the TRACON program we are enacting, we are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning people to specific TRACONs in order to create the best opportunity to learn, train and get qualified. What better situation for a pilot than to come into an airspace where controllers know an airspace inside and out, from the CD position up? Is it exclsionary for me to fill my TRACONs with members of my own facility? If so, I'll look into that. I've said nothing about VC's. In fact, I've got 3 VC's who are Embry students [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to DAB.

I appreciate your concerns, however, I'm not going to threadjack this post in order to try to justify why I am operating my facility the way that I am. I believe that there is nothing out of order in creating situations where my decisions will affect good results in real life situations. Putting Embry Riddle students into a facilty that they operate in and out of day in and day out in real life just simply makes sense. I'm sorry if you see it differently.

Jeff Clark
Posted
Posted
Wouldn't that violate VATNA's visiting controller policy?

As stated, it probably would.

It has long been VATSIM's policy that controllers shouldn't be limited to controlling in only one place, and that there should be a freedom to control at other positions for which they are qualified. This means that facility chiefs shouldn't erect unrealistic barriers to visiting controllers, and in VATUSA, the way this principle has been interpreted is that local facilities are required to treat visiting controllers in precisely the same way as their "own" controllers - and cannot require any additional tests / rules for controllers registered to other ARTCC's/ACC's than they ask their own people to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts].

The accepted way for Bo to "regulate" who plugs in to particular positions is to create a set of standards that Bo would expect controllers to know before plugging in to Dayton Approach, and then request that controllers prove their knowledge of the local area before they do so. This can be either by a written online test, or an "over-the-shoulder" exam.

In practice, requiring this simple test effectively deters newer controllers from "traffic chasing" (simply plugging in all over the world wherever they happen to see an airplane), and as long as it is fairly applied, doesn't prevent dedicated controllers who are serious about providing a good service from learning a new sector, and controlling more than one place.

Jeff Clark

VATGOV6 - VATSIM Board of Governors

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
Hi Travis,

I'm pretty sure it was James Hamann over at ZAB who was starting that club, can't be a 100% sure though.

James (or Mike) is one of my best friends. He mentioned this club to me a long time ago but I don't think he was the one actually starting it.

David Safarik 912385
Posted
Posted

Well us Riddle students know the Daytona Airspace the best. After all we train 24/7 in it. Other then that.... It would be cool to see more ATC majors become controllers for DAB on VATSIM.

Sincerely,

David Safarik

Chief Executive Officer vNWA

http://www.vnwa.org

David Safarik

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Holloman 895700
Posted
Posted

I am an ATC major at MTSU in Tennessee and am also a C3/Mentor in ZFW!! ATC ROX~!!

Ryan Holloman

ZHU C3

1091.png

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

There's really only one thing that ERAU thinks highly of....

100dollar.jpg

Marko Savatic 825464
Posted
Posted

Amen to that brother, Amen to that.

While ERAU students are paying 40K+ a year for school, my tuition is like 5k for out of state here at UND. There is quite a group of students at UND that are part of VATSIM. I know 5 people that control ZAU and are also ATC students at UND. It's awesome getting a quality education for not that expensive compared to most other school standards. I pay 5k for tutition.

UND ATC Major

ZAU MS

GO FIGHTING SIOUX

"Success isn't really a result of spontaneous combustions. You must set yourselfs on fire."

-Arnold H. Glasow

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted
There's really only one thing that ERAU thinks highly of....

100dollar.jpg

ROFL Touche'

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

I'll aggree... it's way to expensive to go here. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life by the time I graduate.

On the contrary... I hate cold weather and would hate being in North Dakota. Too little to do.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Justin Wilcox 882814
Posted
Posted

Personally I'd suffer 4 years of cold weather to avoid having to pay that much.