You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATI or Nvidia,DDR2 or DDR3

Aggrey Ellis 964561

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Im building a new PC soon.Here are the proposed specs. My dilemma is whether to choose ATI or Nvidia for my GPU.

My main problem is whether I should go with ATI or Nvidia. I currently am using a HD2600XT GDDR4. I see all the horror stories of Nvidia users in the forum, but they are really good cards. I use ATI right now, but I have issues with ATI in FS9 as well. For a good couple months, the anti aliasing wouldn't work whenever I minimized my screen.

Also, is DDR3 worth it right now?

Here are the specs so far:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Formula X48 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16

Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB 2X2GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15

Case: Antec P182 ATX

Power Supply: Corsair TX750W ATX

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 205BW 20IN Widescreen LCD 1680X1050

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64BIT

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 750GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Blu-Ray Reader: LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X

Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop S510 Keyboard & Optical Mouse

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

I would never touch nVidia again (unless there are some drastic changes), but there are people who would say the same thing about ATI as well.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Larry Dowell 944865
Posted
Posted

In my readings, and I do a lot and subscribe to Maximum PC, the nVidia cards have an edge over ATI. Actually I think both would work well. The problems with nVidia has been the drivers. The one card that seems to NOT have any problems is the 8800GTX, and I think the newer 9000 series aren't that much of a change, besides, I like to wait and see what others have to say about new anything. At this point if it was me buying a new GPU, I believe it would be the 8800GTX, but they are still a little spendy. Tweakers will say, you can take a 8800GS, for example, and get it to run as good as the GTX. True, but I don't go there. I'd really like to fly instead of fix. I have a 7900GTX, works very well, FS9 or FSX.

DDR3!

Enjoy your adventure.

Larry, KSEA

AKA, Edge

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

I too am pondering specs for a new mega PC and also read loads and loads of FS fora. It seems to me that nVidia is currently generating far more FS issues than ATi are, you hardly see anyone raising a video prob with ATi but I see a lot of support e-mails saying words to the effect of "I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you're using nVidia". I cannot provide a direct and technical comparison but the fora do seem to suggest more problems with nVidia and FS than ATI. The current ATi X2 boards appear to be as close to blistering as blistering gets and I have a feeling I might fall that way. My two penneth anyway.

Bill Casey

Andrea Rossi 941329
Posted
Posted

I can only tell you my impression with my last video card, I bought this winter an ATI HD3870, is very fast, I run fs9 at max details, antialiasing at 8x and anisotropic at 16x, never had any kind of problem, it's quiet and very energy efficient.

my config, is Athlon X2 running at 2.6ghz and 2gb of RAM MB is Asus a8r-mvp.

cheers Andrea

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted

I haven't had any nVidia problems for over a month now with the latest drivers (BFG 8800 Ultra Oc'ed) on either XP 32 bit or Vista 64Bit, and perfomance isn't an issue.

cheers

siggy.png

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Nvidia and DDR3.

Simple as that. I'm running an 8600 GTS and it fits my needs. Depends on what you plan to use it with though.

• 3 weeks later...
Tito Ortiz 1028379
Posted
Posted

i am using the new 3870 from ATI with an ABIT P35 with3 1g DDR2 AND AM GETTING about 67FPS with all setting to 90%n the fs9 now they came out with, ATI 4870which i should get soon.i had 680i mother for a few years but a couple of weeks ago went dead i call Nvidia for warranty but no luck with them they send me and e-mail stading that i did not register the motherboard with in 30 days of buying it so i did not qualify for warranty ,i ask for a supervisor explain the situation and he hang up the phone so i guess that's how they handle their warranties the lost a customer and anyone how will ask me i will not recommend them.

PS mother can be fix they just wont do it i just lost the pulses .

thank you

tito

banTito.jpg