You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connection problems with both clients

Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I formatted the harddrive on this computer almost a month ago now (installed XP Pro, previously had XP home) and haven't really tried to fly online since due to exams.

At times when I have tried to connect including today, FS crashes to desktop without warning/error about 30-60 seconds after squawkbox/fsinn has connected to the multiplayer session. I am however able to connect manually using an IP address without problem. I've also done a couple of flights offline with no issues.

Everytime it crashes it's logged as the following in the microsoft event viewer

Event Type: Error

Event Source:

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 12/06/2008

Time: 17:09:05

User: N/A

Computer: THORNTONDESKTOP

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

Any ideas??

Mark.

tfv1054.gif

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

I'm sure I can help you with setting up FSInn.

Follow closely the steps in the first message in the FSInn help forum (Announcement: Installing FSInn). It starts from downloading the latest version of the software, includes a reminder to remove the previous version to avoid conflict, all the way to actually connecting to VATSIM.

So rather than me trying to tell you each item one by one, asking you the version number you're running, and whether you did an uninstall when changing versions, and all the other details of the published procedures, I asking you to start there.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Mark Thornton
Posted
Posted

Hi Larry,

I've used FSInn for the best part of 2 years so it's not the installation thats the problem

The fact that the same thing happens when both clients connect to the multiplayer is the strange thing.

Mark.

[edit: FSInn was installed on a formatted drive so theres no conflict of versions and i'm using FSInn 1.3/Copilot 1.7. Sorry just realised from my original post that it looks like i've never connected before. I've just been on a break from online flying due to exams]

tfv1054.gif

Mark Thornton
Posted
Posted

Just done a reinstall of FS and it's now only got FSCopilot/FSInn on it but still the crash. Also tried with just squawkbox installed and windows firewall/AV turned off...same problem.

Mark.

tfv1054.gif

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Do you have any third party addons installed?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Mark Thornton
Posted
Posted

Nope it's a clean FS reinstall. I've tried just FS and Squawkbox...FS crashes after connecting. I've tried just FS and FSInn...FS crashes after connecting.

tfv1054.gif

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

If you should say FS + Squawkbox 3 crash after a while, then I should say disable uPnP in the router if you use router, 'cause Squawkbox 3 have this issue with uPnP. But for FSInn it is not recommended to turn off uPnP in the router and it should not be a problem.

AV turned off from user-menu mean you dont know what the AV really turn off or not. It does typical NOT turn off the AV so that issues disappear. Only uninstall AV may make an AV issue to disappear. Make sure you have a firewall while try.

If you use router, you can disable all firewall in the computer, else you must have firewall in computer all the time when connected, e.g. Windows built in firewall.

For trying Squawkbox 3 (SB3):

Try run SB3 from program-menu and not from FS-menu, SB3 will then run in a separate process and not in same as FS.

Initially try run FS in window-mode and not in full screen mode.

An other solution, but not free, is to run SB3 in an other computer then FS. Computer, local network and payware WideFS are required.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Mark Thornton
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lennart. Running Squawkbox outside of FS did bring up an error when it crashed. It was the imon.dll file that is used by NOD32, my anti-virus.

I remember having to do something with NOD32 last time I was on a clean HDD install but it was years ago now. I've added all the FSInn files to the IMON (internet monitor) exception list and all seems to be working now fingers crossed. I'm flying in the VATEUD event tonight hopefully so i'll know for sure then!

Thanks,

Mark.

tfv1054.gif

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Thanks Lennart. Running Squawkbox outside of FS did bring up an error when it crashed. It was the imon.dll file that is used by NOD32, my anti-virus.

I remember having to do something with NOD32 last time I was on a clean HDD install but it was years ago now. I've added all the FSInn files to the IMON (internet monitor) exception list and all seems to be working now fingers crossed. I'm flying in the VATEUD event tonight hopefully so i'll know for sure then!

Thanks,

Mark.

You might try uninstalling your third party firewall antivirus program and see if that helps. Windows Firewall should suffice during the interim. There are lots of alternate free antivrus programs that are more tamable that you can consider, such as AVG and AVAST.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: