You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Will there be an Oshkosh event?

Yarden Antebi 933853

Yarden Antebi 933853
Posted
Posted (edited)

Im asking since I didnt check this board o often a few years ago and I dont know if there is a yearly event..

also im asking because Im on my way there with a Mooney Bravo from Israel, currently in Italy..

Edited by Guest
933853.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dennis Whitley 952478

• Matthew Bartels

• Geoffrey Drayson

• Ian Elchitz 810151

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dennis Whitley 952478

Dennis Whitley 952478 10 posts

• Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels 8 posts

• Geoffrey Drayson

Geoffrey Drayson 7 posts

• Ian Elchitz 810151

Ian Elchitz 810151 5 posts

Popular Days

• Jul 4 2008

11 posts

• Jul 22 2008

9 posts

• Aug 7 2008

8 posts

• Jul 25 2008

8 posts

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

If you are wanting to do it realistically, it's not possible on VATSIM.

Yarden Antebi 933853
Posted
Posted

Im not saying the whole week obviously..a day or two maybe..

933853.png

Christopher Waldo 860237
Posted
Posted

The real deal is the way to go. I will be there from the 26th to the 3rd.

Christopher C. Waldo

Commercial Pilot - AMEL - High Perf - IFR

Certified Flight Instructor

Yarden Antebi 933853
Posted
Posted

Well not everyone can go to the real thing you know.

933853.png

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

Yarden...

If there hasn't been something in the works by now, it's not going to happen. Oshkosh has been simulated many times on VATSIM, and it really is a big event. With big events comes the necessity of big planning. It doesn't appear as though Chicago is at a point where they can handle the volume of traffic an Oshkosh event would generate. All that said, I'm not a member at ZAU, so I could be completely wrong. I know that thye're going through a major overhaul at the moment, and events are probably somewhere near the back burners. Hope this gives you a better answer to your question.

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Something tells me that when OSH_12_TWR (or however many TWR controllers would be working the event) says:

"Blue high wing Cessna turning south over Rush lake, rock your wings"

would be tragically hilarious on this network.

Or, since this IS VATSIM:

"Blue A380 turning south over Rush lake, rock your wings" (since you know where would be more than one showing up in an event like that).

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Actually - there was an Osh Kosh event held about 5-7 years ago on the network which went fantastic.

People left the heavy iron at home, many of the expected rules went out the window, and everyone had an amazing time.

I buzzed up from one of the fields in chicago in a small cessna. ATC was available the entire way. When I checked in with the tower (there were about 4 of them) I was placed about #10 in the sequence. I ended up landing at the same time as another flib on the same runway, they had sort of split it so they could land someone on the first half and someone on the last half.

Ground was a complete comedy act - we were all taxiied onto the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] next to each other and then everyone sat around spotting virtual aircraft.

I got a chance to work some relief at tower for about 90 minutes while another controller took a break. The other controllers and pilots were all in the right frame of mind (for fun) and I have to say that everyone had a fantastic time.

It could be pulled of on Vatsim (again).

Of course - requires lots of planning like everything else

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Yarden Antebi 933853
Posted
Posted

That sounds amazing!

933853.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

ZAU is not planning any official events at this time. We are going through a rebuilding structure. Many of our students are not yet tower certified and our radar controllers can be counted on one hand. I would love to arrange for this kind of event, but it isn't in the cards just yet. Join us for the Saturday Scramble this month and we'll see all of you on august 8th for FNO. This will be our triumphant return!

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Jared Kelly 1044517
Posted
Posted

Well regardless of ATC available or not, I'm flying to Oshkosh, and am staying all week to kinda simulate the actual airshow, hope others show up as well

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted
Well regardless of ATC available or not, I'm flying to Oshkosh, and am staying all week to kinda simulate the actual airshow, hope others show up as well

Are you going to set up a tent in the back yard and only shower once or twice that week in order to get the full "Flying into Osh" experience simulation?

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Are you going to set up a tent in the back yard and only shower once or twice that week in order to get the full "Flying into Osh" experience simulation?

Sounds great!

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Well Dennis, who knows. Maybe it could result in threats of frivilous lawsuits?

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
ZAU is not planning any official events at this time. We are going through a rebuilding structure. Many of our students are not yet tower certified and our radar controllers can be counted on one hand. I would love to arrange for this kind of event, but it isn't in the cards just yet. Join us for the Saturday Scramble this month and we'll see all of you on august 8th for FNO. This will be our triumphant return!

The Osh Kosh event I was talking about was the type where no one worried about certification restrictions. We just let people control.

Ian Elchitz

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I think they have that over on the Zone.

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

I think the Zone closed awhlie ago

CTP Planning Team Member

Dennis Whitley 952478
Posted
Posted

So, (under the new Global Policy), can any controller, (not a member of the ARTCC) plug in at a "Non Major Facility" ???

WWW.VATUSA.NET Previous Management

New ATC Click Here

http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Dennis, lets not turn this into yet another GRP battle. ZAU will not let controllers plug in at any position they are not qualified to work.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted
So, (under the new Global Policy), can any controller, (not a member of the ARTCC) plug in at a "Non Major Facility" ???

No

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Dennis Whitley 952478
Posted
Posted

So I am really coinfused, or the GP was never resolved. I though anyone could control at a Non Major facility. You can do it at ZTL I know for sure.

However, the original question was, can an "outside" controller control at an ARTCC. Meaning, can a DC controller pug in at ZTL at a non major.

I would prefer a correct docomeentd answer rather than here say

WWW.VATUSA.NET Previous Management

New ATC Click Here

http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Dennis,

Many sectors require a "competency check" before allowing people to work GRP facilities solo. Note that this is a brief competency check and completely different from the in-depth signoff needed for major facilities.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Talk about your thread hijacking

Ian Elchitz