You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Virtual Memory

Karan Singh 998398

Karan Singh 998398
Posted
Posted

My computer config is as follows :

512 MB RAM

64 MB GRAPHICS CARD(NVIDIA GE FORCE 4 MX 4000) old one

80 GB HDD.

My problem is that whenever I do a flight longer than 2 hrs, an error shows up saying that VIRTUAL MEMORY IS LOW AND THAT WINDOWS IS INCREASING IT.

This happened more often when my RAM was 192 MB.

Any help?

REGARDS

Sean Quinn 1065609
Posted
Posted

It means that Windows is using virtual memory on the hard disk to try to run the program as it is out of RAM, and has run out of VM as well. There is a way to expand it, but I've forgotten how to.

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted

Virtual Memory is technology designed to give an application the impression that it has contiguous working memory. It's almost an "overflow" for when the PC runs out of RAM (it then uses HD space, which is much slower to access than RAM). To increase the virtual memory you need to make your page file larger.

In Windows XP

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4.On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5.Under Drive (Volume Label), click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.

6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to Custom size check box. You can enter the amount of memory you would like to reserve for Virtual memory by entering the initial and maximum size.

7.Click Set

Cheers

siggy.png

Arogon Boldin 1055509
Posted
Posted

I have FSX and vista.

I originally installed FSX and i had no issues with virtual momory. Then i installed [Mod - lovely stuff]loads of freeware airplanes to the point FSX took decades to load. I got tired of that and so I tryed deleting freeware aircraft i didnt like.. ended up deleting the handglider which is a FSX default so now FSX took even longer to load due to the fact that it had its main aircraft deleted. So i decided to reinstall FSX but for some reason i forgot to do a clean install. After that i started having virtual memory errors. So I increased the virtual memory size to 9-10GB but that still didnt help so i simply did a clean reinstall of FSX. After that i have no problems wat all.

tl;dr: Do a clean reinstall if you can.

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is NOT that stupid Bunny. DO NOT Shoot him.

(")_(") .

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

Arogon, it sounds like you may have been having a different issue where FSX was actually running out of address space, not virtual memory. A 32 bit process has 2GB address space(*) so it cannot use more memory no matter how much memory your system has, physical or virtual.

(*) FSX as of SP2 is large address aware, which means that if you use the /3G switch to boot Windows it gets 3GB address space, and if you run a 64 bit version of Windows it gets 4GB.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Karan Singh 998398
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot OS!