You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Some Noob Issues (i guess)

Michel Molenwijk 930843

Michel Molenwijk 930843
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have some newb questions.

1) i see other traffic 'floating' on the airfield, is this solvable?

2) Are planned routes in FSnavigator and the SID/STARS in it good enough for use in IFR flight?

3) Since the other other traffic is not that nice graphically, is it a good idea to install the project AI planes? And will it influence ultimate traffic software that i have?

Thanks in advance,

Michel.

Michel Molenwijk 930843
Posted
Posted

Seems these aint noob questions after all . Noone seems to know, well after a couple of flights i luckily know the answer to 1 and 2. So just to let you know.

1) probably caused by people who selected the wrong plane in SB3 or have a non-listed plane. because 50% is not floating it seems.

2) Yes the sirds and stars are completeley usable in vatsim although updating is necessary every month.

3)...

Good luck .

• 10 months later...
Jason Cumiskey 935670
Posted
Posted

I connected to VATSIM for the first time the other night...and watched a plane float from the gate to the runway. I also was wondering about number 2) on your list so thx for the answers!!

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Jason,

2) Are planned routes in FSnavigator and the SID/STARS in it good enough for use in IFR flight?

Routes calculated by FS Navigator are usually not good enough for flying in Europe, as the airspace is small, croweded, and there are complicated restrictions regarding the use of airways. You should visit the local vACC websites to check their offerings for ready-made flightplans first. You may then construct an FS Navigator flightplan based on this information, including FS Navs SIDs and STARs . But please don´t use the FS Nav auto-routing feature!

Edited by Guest

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Adam Walker
Posted
Posted

1) its a fault with having people using so many different machines running different versions etc. you often see people not on the runway, or not on the taxiway, not cos their cr*p but because of this. they think they are on the taxiway etc

2) no, it just caculates the easiet routes and isnt valid. the best way to do this is to use a website such as route finder or routes that are on the different vatsim divisions websites. then input the info into FSnav so you can fly that route

3) if you have the aircraft with the livery that someone has in your FS then the a/c will look better, just as yours is in high res. but there must be about 1,000,000 aircraft and liveries in the virtual world on vatsim alone and to get all these in your FS is near impossible. you just got to have a bit of give and take!

Adam Walker

Jason Cumiskey 935670
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Martin and Adam

• 11 months later...
Ben Dale 956302
Posted
Posted (edited)

Aircraft floating in the air is due to that user connecting using FSX. FS9 and FSX have different ground elevation data. FSX uses the newer GPS data, so ground elevation is slightly higher.

I use FSX and regularly see aircraft taxing in the ground, which i [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume are FS9 aircraft.

I ignore it, as i am not on the ground that much.

Edited by Guest

Ben Dale

Pilot & Pending ATC Student

3500.png

Visit http://vaccsca.org

Donato Torrese 886965
Posted
Posted

Adding my personal notes to the already well detailed Martin's post.

3) and 1)

Already answered by others. Anyway none of the previous replies refer to FSInn. It allows you:

a) to download any AI package you like and choose the exact model you want to use for matching.

b) has a "ground reset" so even if you decide to display a 747 as a C172* it will appear sit on ground and not floating or buried.

c) you may add as many multiplayer packages as you want even from different sources and maintain your personal database with the matching you prefer the most.

2)

As Martin said, I suggest you to use the "Route" in vroute.info to get your valid flightplan. As the output it will return will be a serie of:

Waypoint1-Airway1-Waypoint2-Airway2-etc...

You should open your map and add manually to your flightplan any single point connecting waypoint1 to waypoint2 following the airway1.

Unfortunately FSNav isn't able to manage ATS Routes, so that's the only way to avoid many DCT from one point to the other.

* note: say that you have 3 different b744 on ground, you may display every b744 just like b744 and decide to display only ONE of them as a C172, but you might also decide to display ANY b744 like a C172. The decision is up to you.

Donato Torrese

VATSIM | Senior Sup Team 5 & Membership Team 2 Leader | [email protected]

Italy vACC Dep. Director