You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS rule doubt for Euroscope Voice Atis

Everton Machado 822064

Everton Machado 822064
Posted
Posted

Hello all!

I have a doubt about the ATIS rule (64 caracters/max of 4 lines). Is it applied to the ATIS specific frequency? Or just for the Controller Info (the "ATIS" of controller's primary frequency)?

Some people have already tried to explain me about this situation, but I confess that it´s still not so clear in my mind.

If there is a specific rule for Euroscope, where can I find it?

Tks in advance.

Regards,

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

Where you press the Connection button, on the text Atis part, just insert your Callsign -- ie "LONDON Control"

2nd line insert the frequency of your voice atis, and then

setup the automated Voice Atis,

non-discript self importance signature

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

This rule, as far as I know, is applied only for Controller ATIS info, not the Voice Atis. Not only for ES but for all controller clients. What do you want to know? Is something bugging you, about the length of your VOICE ATIS, ES is generating?

Everton Machado 822064
Posted
Posted
What do you want to know? Is something bugging you, about the length of your VOICE ATIS, ES is generating?

Exactly!

The ES make an automatic text ATIS that don´t obey the ATIS rule of 64 caracters and 3 lines. This is why I´ve asked about it.

So, there isn´t a rule about the text ATIS of a specific ATIS frequency... Is it correct?

Regards!

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

As far as I know, NO This rule is not applying about the Voice Atis, as it function is exactly that - to give full information, which can't be limited.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Everton,

Even you have only one edit control to enter the whole ATIS text it is split into lines when it is asked by any other client.

Gergely.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 7 months later...
Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

With reference to the Weather ATIS, the revised ATIS policy applies to both Controller ATIS and Weather ATIS.

We have just had a discussion on the UK Forum Northern Area with regards to this.

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14603

Only one Weather ATIS per airport is allowed, it is restricted to four lines of text each line not exceeding 64 characters. The recorded voice transmission for the same ATIS must not exceed one minute.

The recorded voice transmission for the same ATIS must also replicate exactly what is contained in the text part.

The ATIS policy can be found in the following location.

www.vatsim.net > Rules and Regulations > Executive Committee > Policies > Revised Global ATIS policy.

Hope this helps

David

S1 EGGP_TWR NRTS

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Well, the ATIS policy is older than the automated service provided by ES. It is still from the time, where voice ATIS was only provided hand-made using VRC. Reality is, that an ATIS might be within the limits with CAVOK, and might exceed the limits with several cloud layers, where you as a controller have no way to control that, if you are providing a complete ATIS close to reality. Personally I think as long as

Information that is NOT allowed to be included in the Controller Information is;

Controller’s Name and or Rating

Controller’s frequency

Raw METAR data that has not been decoded by the controller.

this is obeyed and there is only one ATIS per airport, there shouldn't be a concern about the number of lines. If the weather can not be pressed into four lines, then it is not possible to do that, or how should someone decide if rain is more important than cloud layers? It's all just simulated data that can impact the flight, so it is not possible to declare anything of that to be only important if it is within the 4 lines.

On the other hand, I don't see why this should be a problem at all. If this discussion would result in an enforcement of the 4 lines rule, I don't see benefits for anyone, but just negative impacts on the service provided for pilots. As a pilot, I don't care if the ATIS has 3 lines or 5, as long as it contains the information I am looking for.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

It may be only me, but isn't this policy discriminating to the text only pilots of the network? So a voice pilot can have full ATIS service, but a text pilot not only will not have the voice information, but it will be limited to only 3 lines....and how long should a line be 64 caracters

P.S. The policy states

“The first line of any CONTROLLER INFORMATION (ATIS) will contain voice channel switching or network information that is either automatically inserted by the ATC software or manually entered by the controller, and thereafter a controller shall add not more than 4-lines of pilot operational information. A line shall be not more than 64 characters in length. Wherever possible a controller should try to construct the Controller Information in fewer than the maximum number of lines allowed by this policyâ€

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

To me there seem to be some red herrings here. I thought the restrictions on Voice Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) were covered in the Code of Conduct - section C11 in fact. There is no length restriction. The policy quoted above refers to Controller Information (ATIS) which I take to mean the information that controllers fill in on the connection dialog in Euroscope.

I suppose, for the avoidance of doubt, that older policy could do with a definition of "Controller Information". I remember Ross explaining when voice ATIS was brought in that it does not have the same bandwidth issue as Controller Information because the message is only sent when one or more pilots are on that frequency.

I will certainly be continuing to use Euroscope's autoatis and encouraging others to do so.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I have checked the code about the text ATIS of EuroScope.

- The maximum 64 characters per line is tested (even no longer than 50 is sent).

- The maximum number of lines is not checked. All the texts that are in the "TEXT AIS" field is sent when requested. It might be more than the allowed 3 lines. That is possible a bug in EuroScope. I can limit the number of sent lines, but only with simply ignoring the rest of the message.

The length of the text ATIS message is the length of the string you have in the "TEXT ATIS" filed. It depends on the controller (if you edit manually) or on the external ATIS generator.

I personally agree with Stephan that if the weather is not just CAVOK then a complete message could broke the limits. But in this case probably the rule is to be changed and not the weather.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer