You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR aircraft speeds

Aaron Barclay 878822

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

I've created a terrific scenario file, and I wanted to add some VFR aircraft just flying around. Specific aircraft types are C182 and a PA31. When I load the scenario file they are going 240kts. If you know aircraft, those airplanes don't cruise that fast, so my question is, can I change their startup speeds to be more realistic so they are cruising around at 120kts and 160kts respectively? Or must I use the speed slider button at startup for each aircraft to bring them to a more realistic speed?

Another question also is regarding departures. How does the scenario know that they are departures? Do I put the airport elevation as the aircraft's current altitude in the aircraft position line?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron Barclay

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

You got me here on the first one... to be honest I don't know a way you can do that in the scenario file. I guess you'll have to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign all of them IAS <= when you start the simulation

About the second question. In order to have your plane as departure, his initial position has to be a gate or a stand on the airport, with his altitude as the airport altitude and a valid Flight Plan with departure airport the desired one. Be advised that an airplane will take-off only from the defined runway on really close to it, so you have to taxi the airplane to the runway.

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

I don't think the built-in simulator looks at the type at all for aircraft performances. This indeed lacks. I'll make it a request.

Even when simulating IFR only, it'ld be nice if ES knew that a turbo-prop can't climb at 300IAS.

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

thanks for the replies gentlemen, much appreciated. As for the gate being the Lat/Long in the scenario file, where do I find those gate lat/longs? Are they in the sector file or something or do I create those? Can I just pick a lat/long at the airport terminal or no? thanks in advance -AB

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Aaron,

Jean is right. In the current version there is no type specific performance data calculation.

For the coordinates I suggest using the .distance command. If you click anywhere when this command is active, then clicked coordinates are copied to the command line. Then you can copy/paste it to the scenario.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

you could also use the .sline enter command and click anywhere on the screen the coordinates will appear at the bottom in the chat bar and will also be copied to your clipboard.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks