You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Xsquawkbox with X-plane v9

Gilad Alon 1069212

Gilad Alon 1069212
Posted
Posted

Anyone using xsquawkbox with x-plane v9.x?

I installed it, and it looks like it is working fine. I also forwarded UDP port 3290. I connected and it shows it has connected, and then i switch to a frequency in the online list of USA-W. Move my a/c to Santa barbara and try the atis freq which was also written in that list or tower and nothing. I did radio check, when I clicked on the button, i see the transmit icon, so that is going well, but i hear noone..

Please help?

Tommy Rogers 971040
Posted
Posted

Is there a controller online? I would suggest you download a program called Servinfo, Vroute or VATSPY. They all will let you know if there is a controller on in the area that you are. You can google any one of those and they will come up.

it's not like the real world here, you will only get a response if there is a controller online. If there is no controller online tune your radios to 122.800 and announce on TXT what you are going to do.

Hope that gives a little insight for you.

Tommy Rogers, C-3

ZMA Controller

Vatsim Supervisor

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

XSB works fine with XP9.

Are you sure your mic works? Does it work in other applications?

Are you able to hear other pilots transmitting?

What kind of Mic/headset (specifically) is it?

Gilad Alon 1069212
Posted
Posted

Hi guys.

thanks for the reply.

Ill download those server utilities, and yes, my mic works even in the xsquawkbox setup and so does my headset.

i am using the webcam mic, and a sony recording studio headset. I was planning just to try and see if it works, and when it does, i will move on to the headset/mic combined.

So what other reason could there be, is it supposed to be that easy., just install, setup, log in, and put in the freq?

i will try the 122.8 frequency later on today and see if i get a response.

if you guys have anything else or anyone else who can help, i would be very happy to hear more

Gil

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
i will try the 122.8 frequency later on today and see if i get a response.

If that's what you've been trying, that could explain the problem.

122.8 is unicom, a text-only frequency. There is no voice.

Here's what to do: use QuteScoop to find a sector that has a center controller online.

http://xivap.linuxpunk.org/index.php/QuteScoop

Park your plane in an airport in that sector, and then tune the center controller's frequency. See if you can hear him and request a radio check.

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Gilad Alon 1069212
Posted
Posted

At last, it worked this morning.

And there is voice on 122.80.. I talked to the app controller on it.

Anyways, I guess there as noone there last night even though the controler seemed online.

Another question I have, I went to israel, and at night airports are so dark and un lighted. Is there better scenery out there to help me? I have the global scenery on x-plane 9, i got the airports but it shows nothing at night except the runway lights.

Also, do you know of any terrain awarness system addon?

Thanks,

Gil

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Here's a dirty little x-plane secret: Many of us, to taxi, switch x-plane over to daytime. We then switch back to nighttime for the actual flight.

If you encountered voice on 122.80, it's because a controller opened up a voice channel contrary to standard operating procedure, not because there was supposed to be voice on that frequency.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
I have the global scenery on x-plane 9, i got the airports but it shows nothing at night except the runway lights.

What version of XP9? There was a bug for quite a while that would cause this behavior. A quick way to test to see if you're being affected is to launch X-Plane from the command-line with the -no-sprites parameter.

• 2 months later...
Alexander Kucheryavy 10830
Posted
Posted

in the x-plane v9.xx if you contact the airport on the radio there will be a function "turn lights up" if that won't work then sorry, worked for me though

• 2 months later...
Thomas Love 1038516
Posted
Posted

i have had a little trouble with XP9 and XSB.

This morning i updated my version of XP9 to .22

However, when i went to fly this morning with a friend, i could not see him at all.

Please help!

• 2 weeks later...
Jeremy Castellanos 1007109
Posted
Posted

122.8 is unicom, a text-only frequency. There is no voice.

If you encountered voice on 122.80, it's because a controller opened up a voice channel contrary to standard operating procedure, not because there was supposed to be voice on that frequency.

Acutally that is incorrect. Unicom 122.8 on Vatsim can be voice or text; it's a pilots choice. It's a self announce channel when controllers are not available. It's in the PRC.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

But........ ehhhh forget it... if you say so.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles