You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First Flight complete, thanks and a question!

Scott Bearman 1057124

Scott Bearman 1057124
Posted
Posted

Just completed my first IFR flight from Stansted to Liverpool. Many thanks to EGSS TWR, LON CTR AND MAN CTR for their help (21:00 to 22:00 29/07/2008). Everything went well up until arrival where I confused Manchester control by being confused myself whether or not RW27 was the east or west runway and then having to execute a missed approach after I accidently moved my seat to high in the cockpit, couldn't figure out how to lower the view and therefore cocked up my visual. Anyway that said I got down and flight complete.

I just wanted to know when monitoring UNICOM how do you know when to change to whichever control you are approaching? Do you just guess when you are in their airspace and then contact?

Adam Walker
Posted
Posted

Learning when to contact people is something you get to know with experience. Especially somewhere like the UK which is broken down into much smaller positions.

Do you have servinfo? that can be good as a guide but again fails for things like MAN_CTR (which doesn't cover all of EGTT).

for CTR positions when you are in that FIR (normally)

For approach positions typically about 50nm before the airport

For TWR once you are established on the ILS

for GND...when your on the GND

Alternativly just wait until the 'contact me' is sent. As i say, with experience you will know when the time is right.

Adam Walker

• 2 weeks later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Servinfo is very good but can I reccomend VAtspy which is a newer version and is quicker and not as resource hungry.

Do a google search for VAtspy, its free.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks