You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 Crash when exiting (VISTA)

Matthew Iselin 1061577

Matthew Iselin 1061577
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem for a while now that's mainly just a nuisance rather than a serious problem. Basically, when I exit FS9 after flying (at least one flight has to start, otherwise it's fine), it quits and then later pops up telling me that "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working". I'm thinking it must be an addon or module or something, as I've removed all the custom scenery I have installed. I can't remember exactly when this started, but it might have to do with FSUIPC (or even an aircraft I've installed?).

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Matthew Iselin

VATPAC C1 Controller

• 1 month later...
Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Please check the FSInn docomeentation. I believe there is a sticky in the FSInn forum. Yo uwill find this issue mentioned.

Having said that, I also still have the same problem.

Please let me know if the info in the sticky helps.

Antonio

Matthew Iselin 1061577
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I seem to have fixed the problem by uninstalling FSFDT and FSCopilot. FS9 also runs much faster now (constant 25 fps with everything maxed out now, limited to 25 fps )

Matthew Iselin

VATPAC C1 Controller

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted
Hi,

I seem to have fixed the problem by uninstalling FSFDT and FSCopilot. FS9 also runs much faster now (constant 25 fps with everything maxed out now, limited to 25 fps )

I was having the same problem with FSX and Vista. After I got rid of FSInn, and got SB4, everything started working fine again. Plus, I get much, much, much better frame-rates with SB4 as well.

3711154647_0eac39f1a2_o.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem for a while now that's mainly just a nuisance rather than a serious problem. Basically, when I exit FS9 after flying (at least one flight has to start, otherwise it's fine), it quits and then later pops up telling me that "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working". I'm thinking it must be an addon or module or something, as I've removed all the custom scenery I have installed. I can't remember exactly when this started, but it might have to do with FSUIPC (or even an aircraft I've installed?).

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Hi, Matthew. Just about any issue you can have with FSInn is addressed in two messages (your issues are addressed in the quick installation steps). Take a look at the Please Read Sticky in the FSInn Help forum, the bold item #1. Let us know if you continue to have any problems. We’d be happy to learn if there are new issues to address.

Please check the FSInn docomeentation. I believe there is a sticky in the FSInn forum. Yo uwill find this issue mentioned.

Antonio

Hi, Antonio. Test the advice you gave to Matthew. We’d love to learn if for any reason there are real problems with the pilot client.

Hi,

I was having the same problem with FSX and Vista. After I got rid of FSInn, and got SB4, everything started working fine again. Plus, I get much, much, much better frame-rates with SB4 as well.

Hi, Robert. You didn’t have to have those problems. You could have any of the problems you described. You could have followed the installation and troubleshooting steps and contributed to the development by describing any possible new issues to us. Hopefully you’ll contribute to the Squawkbox development in such a manner.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted
Hi, Robert. You didn’t have to have those problems. You could have any of the problems you described. You could have followed the installation and troubleshooting steps and contributed to the development by describing any possible new issues to us. Hopefully you’ll contribute to the Squawkbox development in such a manner.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Okay, I'm not going to sit here and write about how much FSInn sucks. Because it truely does not. Furthermore, that would be just plain childish of me. I'm also not going to set here and compare programs, because it really just boils down to personal preference and opinions of each user. So, there won't be any dead horse beating here.

I will say this, though. Enough already with the...

Look at the please read before posting in this forum sticky.

...all of the time. It's your answer to everything. I probably know your precious FSInn/VATSIM FAQ as well as you do (<- "possibly" exaggerated for dramatic effect, but I know the docomeent quite well nonetheless). But you wouldn't know that I've read that [and other related] docomeent(s) over and over, top to bottom, bottom to top. And do you know why you wouldn't know? It's because I've read it, and thus fixed many of my problems on my own. For the problems that I couldn't find an answer for, or the "answer" in the FAQ didn't work, what am I left with? I'll tell you what I'm left with. It's this little conversation we're having right here. The same one in so many FSInn Help threads. It starts like this...

Do you see where I'm going with this yet? It's like listening to a broken record. You help a lot of people out with FSInn issues, and that's really commendable, bro. But the broken record thing is just a little too inane for me.

So, I'm sorry about your being sore that the solution I have found to work best is with another program. Is that my fault? I certainly don't think so. I finally have a setup for VATSIM that I'm really happy with. I see a guy here who is reporting issues very similar to my past woes, what am I going to do? I'm going to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the word along by saying, "Hey man, I tried bla bla bla, and it's working great." I'm sorry that, "bla bla bla," happens to be a program other than your beloved FSInn.

Now, this isn't the FSInn forum, and I didn't come in there bashing FSInn (nor did I bash it here). This is the Pilot Software Forum. I saw a fellow having problems, and I told him what Pilot Software I used to solve my similar problem. Did I tell anyone to discontinue the use of FSInn? Nope. Not at all. I simply stated what I did, and the results I got. Sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way, my friend, but it is what it is.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Okay, I'm not going to sit here and write about how much FSInn sucks. Because it truely does not. Furthermore, that would be just plain childish of me. I'm also not going to set here and compare programs, because it really just boils down to personal preference and opinions of each user. So, there won't be any dead horse beating here.

I will say this, though. Enough already with the...

...all of the time. It's your answer to everything. I probably know your precious FSInn/VATSIM FAQ as well as you do (<- "possibly" exaggerated for dramatic effect, but I know the docomeent quite well nonetheless). But you wouldn't know that I've read that [and other related] docomeent(s) over and over, top to bottom, bottom to top. And do you know why you wouldn't know? It's because I've read it, and thus fixed many of my problems on my own. For the problems that I couldn't find an answer for, or the "answer" in the FAQ didn't work, what am I left with? I'll tell you what I'm left with. It's this little conversation we're having right here. The same one in so many FSInn Help threads. It starts like this...

Do you see where I'm going with this yet? It's like listening to a broken record. You help a lot of people out with FSInn issues, and that's really commendable, bro. But the broken record thing is just a little too inane for me.

You know many things can appear insane if it were viewed without some sense of method. Of I understand from your reference that you don’t see the method. However, out of respect to you, and anyone else with the same question I’ll mention the method (to the in your case apparent madness).

First off all, please read is not mentioned in all the threads. However it’s mentioned in most of the threads that has clear fixes or references such as the topic of this thread. I’m glad to have discussions possibly new issues, which hardly happens. I’m also glad to share in any questions and suggestions about the software.

I don’t know so much about the insanity of your perception, whether it’s the title of a single message that has all the answers or the fact that it’s suggested reading with the answers. At one time I as compiling all the answers in a sticky labeled Installing FSInn. However, since I realize how simple the installing procedure is, many people might not take the time to read such a message. So I created a Please Read message that suggests to the reader that his answer is most likely in the installation message that has a troubleshooting section.

To me, if insane was a matter of question, it would be insane to retype the fix for each question over and over again when a sticky could serve the purpose. To me it would appear more insane to try to include everything that included in the stickies for each new user that ask a question. The user really should be aware of the weather bug, the special considerations for Windows Vista’s security features, they should be aware of the firewall behavior, so it’s all included in two messages, rather than typed one by one with a user having to come back 6 or 8 times when they could be told in one message, look at the please read before posting sticky.

Again, most of the questions are also answered in the FSInn Manual. However, I wouldn’t point the user to the FSInn manual… that’s 60 pages that the user would have to sort though. The answers are also laid out in the official mcdu.com wiki docs and FAQ’s. However, those docomeents also have many 10’s of pages with much information that a VATSIM user might never use.

I understand that you don’t appreciate the method, but some people actually do. Out of the hundreds of emails and PM’s I get, in 4 years of giving support I’ve only received two complaining users about my method. All the others have been complements for having helped them (even though they didn’t post), and what appears to be apologies (and hang-in-there suggestions) for the flack I receive in the public boards. The compliments have come from members with “GOVâ€

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted

Inane

in·ane

–adjective

1. lacking sense, significance, or ideas; silly: inane questions.

2. empty; void.

–noun

3. something that is empty or void, esp. the void of infinite space.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Inane

in•ane

–adjective

1. lacking sense, significance, or ideas; silly: inane questions.

2. empty; void.

–noun

3. something that is empty or void, esp. the void of infinite space.

Hi, Robert. Thanks for amicably pointing out my misreading of your statement. While the word is different (and less harsh) in this case my answer would actually be the same. I would consider it more inane to continue retyping the same thing than having created a FAQ and continuously pointing to it, if the answer is already provided. I would think to do otherwise would invite the question to be asked more frequently because a person that reads a few messages will be more inclined to ask their specific question.

With the method I use, if a person reads a couple of messages before posting, it’s likely that he will notice that because the answer to the first 10 messages he read were contained in one sticky, he might read that one first and save himself a lot of time. He might also make a reference to the fact that the fix doesn’t work after having read the sticky, that would be a great contribution to the application’s development.

While I understand a variety of people will have their own way of helping people. But to me retying as if the sticky didn’t exist would be more “lacking sense, significance, or ideasâ€

sticky:

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Antonio

Hi, Antonio. Test the advice you gave to Matthew. We’d love to learn if for any reason there are real problems with the pilot client.

Larry-

I can confirm I still get the following error after having installed FSInn: "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working".

TUNER facility in Copilot disabled as per your suggestion:

Error when Exiting Flight Simulator

http://www.mcdu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22204

as well as having other facilities I do not require disabled. The error message appears a few seconds after quitting the sim.

Vista 32, FS9.1, FSInn & Copilot installed (and working in order) following every line of the sticky.

This is one of the issues still unresolved with FSInn for me. It's not the only one, but I'm not a complainer.

Antonio

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Antonio

Larry-

I can confirm I still get the following error after having installed FSInn: "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working".

TUNER facility in Copilot disabled as per your suggestion:

Error when Exiting Flight Simulator

http://www.mcdu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22204

Hi, Antonio. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the fix and test it. I’m very interested and would be glad to work with you to figure out what is causing the crash. It would bother me getting such an error when using an application. When I get such errors on my computer it’s always a flag to reboot the system to ensure the glitch isn’t affecting components of my computer environment.

If it the case of the Beta it was a bug we had to live with, that would be one thing. I’d docomeent it. But if it’s a bug with a fix, I’d be interested in not having to live with something in that regard. I wouldn’t expect for a crash to totally be confined to only the program causing the crash.

If you don’t mind me helping to address the issue, would you start out by sending me an image of second page of the Addons management screen ( Add-ons -> FSCopilot -> Settings -> (Scroll to the bottom).

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames/upload

as well as having other facilities I do not require disabled. The error message appears a few seconds after quitting the sim.

Vista 32, FS9.1, FSInn & Copilot installed (and working in order) following every line of the sticky.

This is one of the issues still unresolved with FSInn for me. It's not the only one, but I'm not a complainer.

Antonio

I appreciate your respectful consideration not to complain. But I wouldn’t look at it as a complaint. I’m anxious to docomeent all the problems to avoid having them carry on to the finished product.

By the way, the crash might be separate from the published one. It might have something to do with a combination of other addons, or the lack of running FSX as administrator. I understand that you have already said you followed the steps exactly. Again, I’d love to investigate and learn what’s different between your system and all the numerous installations I’ve done in the past couple of years, including an installation today.

Thanks for the input.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Larry-

I had already taken a snapshot for you : ) It's now uploaded.

By the way, please note I use FS9 not FSX. It is run as Admin.

Antonio

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry-

I had already taken a snapshot for you : ) It's now uploaded.

By the way, please note I use FS9 not FSX. It is run as Admin.

Antonio

Thanks for the images and information. You sent an image of the error message before I asked. I’m glad you did. That would have been my next question.

This is the first time I’m seeing the image from another user’s computer. I had anticipated it to be the same image I was seeing which looks different from yours. It might be that I’m running Vista 64 and you’re running Vista 32 (or it might be something totally different). Can you tell me if you have the same image that you uploaded if you enable the tuner (as I just did on my machine to see the image I got)?

The next test will cause you to have to redo your FSInn settings if you perform it, but I would like to know if the error goes away after uninstalling FSCopilot/FSInn? I understand if the test are too involving and you’d prefer not to pursue it (or how far to go).

I’ll have to install Windows Vista 32 and FS9 on a machine and see if I can duplicate the type of error screen you’re getting. Maybe someone else will comment on the way their Vista 32/FS9 error on exit screen looks.

By the way, my FSX error exit screen looks the same way my FS9 exit error screen looks.

My Screen:

080921201022-exiterror.jpg

Your Screen:

080921201022-Capture2.JPG

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Larry,

I understand well the course of action you are suggesting. I am a troublemaker ... oooops, I meant a TROUBLESHOOTER myself by nature.

Unfortunately, due to real life committments outside of vatsim I am not able at present to get the time needed for this operation. Vatsim-wise, I am lucky to find some time to fly alltogether in the next 3/4 weeks.

I would also love to look into this further. I am 99% confident that the last uninstall and reinstall were done 100% by the book. But, of course, you never know....

Come early November and I may well have some more time at hand.

Meanwhile, it may be interesting to find out if the two error messages, the one I get and the one you get, appear differently because of the difference in the Vista versions. Again, I have Vista 32 SP1.

I have seen "my" error window on more than one occasion on this system, ie when an app crashes. But I do not recall having seen yours. Which of course doesn't exclude its existence on this system...

Antonio

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry,

I understand well the course of action you are suggesting. I am a troublemaker ... oooops, I meant a TROUBLESHOOTER myself by nature.

Unfortunately, due to real life committments outside of vatsim I am not able at present to get the time needed for this operation. Vatsim-wise, I am lucky to find some time to fly alltogether in the next 3/4 weeks.

I would also love to look into this further. I am 99% confident that the last uninstall and reinstall were done 100% by the book. But, of course, you never know....

Come early November and I may well have some more time at hand.

Meanwhile, it may be interesting to find out if the two error messages, the one I get and the one you get, appear differently because of the difference in the Vista versions. Again, I have Vista 32 SP1.

I have seen "my" error window on more than one occasion on this system, ie when an app crashes. But I do not recall having seen yours. Which of course doesn't exclude its existence on this system...

Antonio

I understand. I didn’t take you as a troublemaker. I understand by your initial post that you feel that it’s an FSInn related issue. However, I’m sure, just as the case of the topic just below this one where the user thought installing FSInn was causing his views to switch, this is another issue not directly related to FSInn.

Installing FSInn won’t fix other problems, and as I mentioned to the other user, it doesn’t make any changes to the Flight Simulator files. I have had good success in identifying the actually culprit thought systematic troubleshooting. I understand you’ve already said it doesn’t bother you to the effect of fixing it. But if you become inclined to identify the problem, I’d be glad to work with you in getting the issue resolved.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• 2 months later...
Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

Now that we have beat this thing to death (almost)

Anyone found a cure?

I'm most interested, both SB3/FS9/FS2002 and FSX/FSINN in Vista Home Prem 34 crash when exiting, can't save flights.

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Euroscope Development Team.

Dare to fly the Rocky Mountains.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Now that we have beat this thing to death (almost)

Anyone found a cure?

I'm most interested, both SB3/FS9/FS2002 and FSX/FSINN in Vista Home Prem 34 crash when exiting, can't save flights.

Earl

How are you doing, Earl. For help with SB3, please visit the Squawkbox Help Forum. For FSInn, please visit FSInn Help forum. Both will work very well if you following the perspective instructions or provided fixes. For the fixes for any problem you can have with FSInn, please start out with the please read sticky in the FSInn Help forum. There’s a bold item #1 that shows two pages that you really should read. It presents all issues that you will experience including this one. If you read the two messages, you shouldn’t have any problems.

Also, check out the bold item #3 of that please read message for a suggested format of followup. I’m almost certain that if you would use that format your report will be a report of success rather than problem. But if you still experience problems, I would consider it a valuable contribution to show us that the published fixes are failing.

Sorry if it sounds like it’s being beating to death (almost), but the question is asked in quiet a few different ways. The answer is always the same, and it’s published for your convenience.

The key is actually performing the fix and reposting what you actually did, and the results.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Matthew Iselin 1061577
Posted
Posted

I did actually find a cure for this problem.

I uninstalled FSInn and FSCopilot and FS9 has not crashed on exit since. I prefer SquawkBox anyway, so it wasn't a hard choice - the only thing I used FSCopilot for was keeping FS in real-time and the multi-processor speedups (which actually slowed down the sim :/).

Matthew Iselin

VATPAC C1 Controller

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I did actually find a cure for this problem.

I uninstalled FSInn and FSCopilot and FS9 has not crashed on exit since. I prefer SquawkBox anyway, so it wasn't a hard choice - the only thing I used FSCopilot for was keeping FS in real-time and the multi-processor speedups (which actually slowed down the sim :/).

You're posting in the wrong thread. The users were looking for the FSInn Fix which is located in the please read sticky. Maybe you should find some other task to do rather than trying to subtle bash one of the official VATSIM pilot clients. If you really want to help someone having problems, please visit the Squawkbox forum and give [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance to the ones looking for help with Squawkbox. The two messages I referenced which resolves this issue also resolved any performance issues someone might have with FSInn.

Please use your preference. You don't have to try to twist the FSInn users' arm to switch. There's company with both clients.

Your message is clear that you prefer Squawkbox and don't want a fix for FSInn. But you should allow the others to see the resolution.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Matthew Iselin 1061577
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Oops. I knew I'd already posted that.

In no way was I intending to bash FSInn, I aplogize sincerely if that is how it came across to you. I should've more closely checked the thread and noticed I'd already stated that the problem was solved.

Matthew Iselin

VATPAC C1 Controller