You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Reference Material

Jon Standley 845310

Jon Standley 845310
Posted
Posted

The VATUSA Reference Material is finally being revamped and updated to coincide with current regulations and practices currently being used. This process also includes creating new instructional guides in various forms for enhanced student success.

During this process, some of the Reference Material will be offline. I am releasing a revised Basic Study Guide for the VATUSA Basic Controller Exam until the new material is complete.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause however the end product will be beneficial as this is an update that has been long overdue.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Jon Standley

Private Pilot ASEL/AMEL/IFR/LTA

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Was it necessary to take the existing content down while the new content is still under development?

The development of new things has a way of taking longer than you expect.

Jon Standley 845310
Posted
Posted

The current material was providing inaccurate information that did not correspond with the new VATUSA tests that have been released.

Jon Standley

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Ahh, so you got the cart ahead of the horse.

Do we have a time frame for getting things back on track?

Jon Standley 845310
Posted
Posted

I will have an estimate time frame in the next couple of days

Jon Standley

Garrett Wiedmeier 954546
Posted
Posted

I don't want to add flame to the fire, but... what are we supposed to use? If I have new students how/where do we start with them? Is there an alternate set of docs by any chance?

Garrett Wiedmeier

ZSE ATM

http://www.seaartcc.net/

5229.png

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

I suggest using your instructor/mentor. Besides, ARTCCs provide a great deal of training material in addition to VATUSA's...I've actually never needed to use VATUSA's materials, my guys have always been all over it

Garrett Wiedmeier 954546
Posted
Posted
I suggest using your instructor/mentor. Besides, ARTCCs provide a great deal of training material in addition to VATUSA's...I've actually never needed to use VATUSA's materials, my guys have always been all over it

I am a mentor -- sorry, probably should have said that. We do have lots of materials indeed, but we always also reference the VATUSA training guides as well. It was kind of embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing to point a potential student to a "good resource to get started" and it's not there... plus our site has links to these web pages that appear good (the header & footer & navigation appears) but are blank otherwise -- it took me around 5-10 minutes to figure out it wasn't my computer or web browser and that the content really wasn't there.

Perhaps instead of it just being blank we can add a small note that revisions are in progress?

Garrett Wiedmeier

ZSE ATM

http://www.seaartcc.net/

5229.png

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted

I am a mentor -- sorry, probably should have said that. We do have lots of materials indeed, but we always also reference the VATUSA training guides as well. It was kind of embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing to point a potential student to a "good resource to get started" and it's not there... plus our site has links to these web pages that appear good (the header & footer & navigation appears) but are blank otherwise -- it took me around 5-10 minutes to figure out it wasn't my computer or web browser and that the content really wasn't there.

Perhaps instead of it just being blank we can add a small note that revisions are in progress?

Well that would be what would make sense and....

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Jon Standley 845310
Posted
Posted

And as I said between tonight and tomorrow night I will have a suppliment of the Basic Guide on the website for download. It will allow new students to get started.

Jon Standley

Scott Clarke 931991
Posted
Posted

Jon: any idea when even the basic will be up..when I go to the website, the header appears but nothing below. Can our students still take the tests, or have they changed also...

Scott Clarke

ATM ZLC ARTCC

Scott Clarke

Air Traffic Manager

ZLC ARTCC (Salt Lake)

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Can we put the old material back up? It may not have totally jived with the testing, but it's better than blank pages.

This is silly.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

You can download them from other ARTCCs if you'd like. Denver has them. denartcc.org --> Training --> Docomeents. I know it might be a little weird, but if you absolutely positively need them...

Hunter Gaber 1024819
Posted
Posted

Now that Jon stepped down, are we going to have to wait longer for this material?

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted
Now that Jon stepped down, are we going to have to wait longer for this material?

I'd put money on it

Hunter Gaber 1024819
Posted
Posted

I'd put money on it

Great. Just what a new controller needs.

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

I'd put money on it

You would lose...

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."

Bart Youngblood 1049300
Posted
Posted
You can download them from other ARTCCs if you'd like. Denver has them. denartcc.org --> Training --> Docomeents. I know it might be a little weird, but if you absolutely positively need them...

Thanks...even if there are some inaccuracies in it, it is better than nothing!

Jared Orr 1072435
Posted
Posted

How many inaccuracies are we talking here?

I mean, could someone list off a few of the changes, cause I'm really anxious to get started

Dillon Brown 1068778
Posted
Posted

when is the material suppose to be done

?

5099.png

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

All,

The new material has been posted to the VATUSA Training area located here: http://www.vatusa.net/training/reference.html

The old reference material has also been re-posted to hold over until the additional new modules have been completed. They will be announced as they are released.

Thanks for your patience...

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gary! BTW, I love the pretty pictures

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted
All,

The new material has been posted to the VATUSA Training area located here: http://www.vatusa.net/training/reference.html

The old reference material has also been re-posted to hold over until the additional new modules have been completed. They will be announced as they are released.

Thanks for your patience...

Glad I was wrong

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Very nice job with the BATC!

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Excellent work, I look forward to seeing the rest

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1