You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

HELP! - How do you listen to ATC TWR when observing?

Brandon Turner 1071761

Brandon Turner 1071761
Posted
Posted

Hi im new to VATSIM and i don't know how to listen to TWR ATC when im observing i've followed the instructions on VATSIM UK and i still cant hear them and i can't figure out how to find vox server and when i tick the RX box (on the comms pannel) and then tick the HDST it says text only and ive tried different controlers and they all do the same when i click HDST (ive also tried the SPKR option) Please reply or email me at [email protected]

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

It sounds like you're using VRC. You can right click on a controller in the controller list and choose "Request ATIS". The system will send you a PM from that controller with his ATIS information.

For example, from LA Tower It will look like:

rw.liveatc.net/121.65

So in VRC channel setup, you'd enter:

Name: LAX_TWR

Frequency: 121.650

Voice Server: rw.liveatc.net

VOX channel: 121.65

Save it, check the receive and headset checkboxes and you should be good to go.

Brandon Turner 1071761
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot tha realy helped

• 4 months later...
Brendan Samson 1070087
Posted
Posted

If you only want to listen to one controller, you can right click them and hit monitor, but you can only monitor 1 controller at a time.

8629.png

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

No, you can monitor as many controllers as the comms panel allows

I've monitered EURW_FSS, CZQX_N_FSS, LFPG_APP all at once while controlling as LFPG_TWR !

New York ARTCC

Michael Hodge Jr 961044
Posted
Posted
No, you can monitor as many controllers as the comms panel allows

I've monitered EURW_FSS, CZQX_N_FSS, LFPG_APP all at once while controlling as LFPG_TWR !

I think he meant by right clicking and clicking monitor

Michael D. Hodge Jr

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Oh yea, maybe...

New York ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted
It sounds like you're using VRC. You can right click on a controller in the controller list and choose "Request ATIS". The system will send you a PM from that controller with his ATIS information.

For example, from LA Tower It will look like:

rw.liveatc.net/121.65

So in VRC channel setup, you'd enter:

Name: LAX_TWR

Frequency: 121.650

Voice Server: rw.liveatc.net

VOX channel: 121.65

Save it, check the receive and headset checkboxes and you should be good to go.

As you used the VATSIM-UK site to get started, I'd [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you're interested in observing in Europe, if that's the case Wade's post still applies but bear in mind that over here the VOX channel will usually be the position callsign NOT the frequency, VOX channel: EGLL_TWR or whatever you're listening to.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The VOX channel in the US is usually the callsign as well. LA is one of the few (perhaps the only?) US ARTCCs that uses the frequency. Some places, such as ZBW, use a combination of the facility and the frequency, such as ZBW_134.700 for center, and A90_120.600 for one of the Boston approach sectors. If everyone used just the frequency, we'd definitely run into conflicts.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted
The VOX channel in the US is usually the callsign as well. LA is one of the few (perhaps the only?) US ARTCCs that uses the frequency. Some places, such as ZBW, use a combination of the facility and the frequency, such as ZBW_134.700 for center, and A90_120.600 for one of the Boston approach sectors. If everyone used just the frequency, we'd definitely run into conflicts.

Fair enough Well whatever you get after the / when you fetch their ATIS... so rw.liveatc.net/EGLL_TWR means your VOX Channel should be EGLL_TWR.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo