You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

x-plane and Traffic in Vatsim/X-Squawkbox

Jefferson Leeper 1038620

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I am using x-plane 8.6 and xsquawkbox 1.0 (the newer version has noise with each transmission). I am not seeing any other traffic.

Is there a x-plane setting or xsquawkbox setting that needs to be changed from the default in order to see other aircraft?

ATC sees me fine.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Do you have X-Ivap installed? If so, you can't just disable it. You have to completely remove X-Ivap from the plugins folder.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I'll double check, but have never used IVAP, so doubt it is there.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Also, in Aircraft->Aircraft Operations, do you have your number of aircraft set to something higher than 1? I have mine set on 10.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

will check, try, and advise. thanks.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I changed the # of planes in the aircraft and situations to 10, and in xsquawkbox it is set to 50.

I still don't see any traffic. I'll check with ATC next time I am online to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure there is actually an aircraft near me. There were a couple landing last night right next to me, but I didnt see them. Any other parameters to change? Do I need to download additional aircraft models? The aircraft screen had some parameters for "teams". I left all of that as the default.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Ok, so I withheld some info that I just realized. I actually am using a 4 view setup, with 4 computers. the MAIN computer is the instructor station, and the three SLAVE views are the forward, left and right. Because the MAIN PC is the one running xsquawkbox, it is the only one that is seeing traffic. Of course, it was set up as the cockpit panel, so didnt have an outside view. Once I changed the view to outside, I saw the traffic! So, now I know why I wasnt seeing traffic on the outside views (because the xsquawkbox plugin isnt on the slaves). What I DONT know is: How I can get the slave, outside view PCs to see the traffic. If I add the plugin to each, I can't log into vatsim 4 times... Of course I could reconfigure xsquawkbox to run on a front view, but I wouldnt see traffic on the side views. I presume that xsquawkbox never contemplated a multi PC network configuration.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

just found this post: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=33299&st=0#entry374803 which basically says that xsquawkbox does not support mirroring traffic from the main view to the slave views in x-plane. Putting xsquawkbox on the "front view" is proposed as a "workaround". I'll try that and advise. Great wishlist item for ver 1.03.....

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

I agree it's a great wishlist item, but as the developer of XSB, I would have to say, it's very low priority. It's huge complexity for very little return (only a handful of people in the world are running slaves).

That's not to say it will never happen, but you're going to have to learn to live with the workaround for a long time. My apologies for delivering the bad news, but I have limited time and my focus is on features that can really enhance the experience for all XPlane pilots.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick reply Wade. I'm from Nashville, so next time I am down there, I'll try to bribe you into doing it!

In the interim, is it better to a)change xsquawkbox to the front view slave (seems like I'd lose weather) or b)change the Master machine to be the front view, and at least have traffic visible in the center view, and change the old front view to the instructor station. (maybe I just answered my own question)

Thanks for making xsquawkbox. I am an instrument rated, multi engine pilot, and Vatsim is proving to be almost as stressful as the real thing! ie great training.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the quick reply Wade. I'm from Nashville, so next time I am down there, I'll try to bribe you into doing it!

That won't be a problem. Three MacPro's and monitors will ensure you're #1 on the feature list.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Perfect. Then you will be in the camp as me, with the same problem. I'm sure it will get fixed fast!

I did set it up on the front view, and moved my headset to that PC, and I can see traffic on the front exterior monitor. I can also switch views on the yolk to "look" 45 degrees etc.

Vatsim and Xplane get real time weather at different times, or from different places, as the front screen sometimes is out of wack with the others on visibility, ceiling etc.

Having a "slave" login for vatsim, that just sends traffic info, could be an easy solution, and you could just have the plugin on each machine, with the master using your login, and the slaves using the "slave" standard login. That might be easier than a xsb re write..

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

a nice side effect of the traffic workaround is that you can put speakers on the MASTER, for engine/prop sound, and use Headset for the FRONT, for xsquawkbox radio, and turn down all the xplane sounds.

Now I don't have to hear xplane sounds in my headset, but hear them in the background, as it should be..

• 5 years later...
Michael Clark 1062066
Posted
Posted

I am using the latest version of x-plane (10.25) and the latest version of xsquawkbox (1.2) I have run into this same problem - I tried to do my first flight on VATSIM last night with this new setup and I found that I couldn't see the other aircraft. (During the day time the aircraft are not visible at all, only their shadows.... and at night I can only see the Lights but the actual planes are not visible and the labels are blank)

The ATC controllers could see me and talk to me... but I couldn't see any of the other aircraft.

Another clue to what is going on is that in my regular x-plane program I can no longer see other AI aircraft either, which is an even bigger problem for many situations I like to simulate. I load up a situation, i.e. formation flying, glider tow, shuttle-piggyback and the other aircraft are not visible. They used to work before.

I have the number of other aircraft set to 20 in x-plane and in x-squawkbox I have it set to 50.

I wondered if anyone else had any experience with this or ideas to help me be able to get x-plane to show me other aircraft? and to also see them visible when I fly on VATSIM