You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

x-plane and 2x or 4x speed

Jefferson Leeper 1038620

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

If I want to "move along" on a flight plan, so KDEN to KLGA faster than my little baron G58 goes, can I 4x the speed? Will ATC see me at 4x the IAS? Is that acceptable?

I have type specific hardware, so choosing a different aircraft is an option, but not a great one. I would reduce to 1x on SID and STAR..

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

ATC will see it. Ask first:

"Center, Barnburner 123, request 4X acceleration"

"Barnburner 123, approved as requested, but normal acceleration after FOO."

"4X until FOO, then normal speed. Thanks, Barnburner 123"

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

perfect solution. Thanks Wayne.

Saves me from a 8 hour sim ride!

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted

And to answer your other question, yes ATC will see you doing 4x your KIAS....400-500kts. I don't suggest asking for this in busy airspace. I've heard people get denied, because the freq was so busy that there was hardly time for them to ask in the first place!

3711154647_0eac39f1a2_o.jpg

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

thanks. I'll just use it over route

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Yep, as Wayne is saying, we have to have you at 1x before handing you off to another Center. So we'll slow you down, hand you off and then you can request an increase again from the next Center.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

understood. That works for me. Thanks.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Now, there's another option for you to deal with en-route boredom: Instead of accelerating, you can do some of the training that pilots do, and get acquainted with the lo-level and hi-level enroute charts.

If your FMS is guiding you along the airways, you could follow along the airway charts as it navigates you along, and tune your VOR receivers to identify the airways you are following and the fixes you are crossing. When you've gotten good at that, then you should be able to use a clock or stopwatch and a calculator or E6B to estimate when you are going to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the next fix. Although a real jet pilot doesn't do that (because the FMS does it for them), it is in fact a skill that every jet pilot has, and you should too. Before a jet pilot got to sit in that left seat, they got their IFR ticket, and they learned how to use the enroute charts, and VORs, and do time calculations. They probably flew for many years in planes without magic boxes that did the flying for them. And if you're busy doing those things, there's a lot less time to get bored up there. At least, until you get good at them.

The saying is, if you get bored in the air, there's something you ought to be doing that you've forgotten to do (or, you've got an FMS...)

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

very good advise Wayne. I am an newly instrument rated, multi engine private pilot. I grew up on all G1000 aircraft: 172sp G1000, Diamond DA42 twin, and now Citation Mustang VLJ. I have to admit, that with the fancy box, I didn't/don't spend alot of time with those skills, but will now go do some, as you suggest. My sim is actually a PFC (www.flypfc.com) MFD Desktop, Baron G58, so I still use the G1000 for programming/flying flight plans, SID, STARS etc. I'll heed your advise, and get some old school lessons in there.... I'll have to dig up some actual paper charts.....

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

I completely missed the part where you are flying a Baron G58. No FMS for you. I'm sorry--I didn't mean to insult you.

PS: I am not a real pilot. I am just some schmuck on the net.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Your advise is well taken, no insult whatsoever. No monopoly on good ideas when it comes to aviation.

I'm just cranking up the box, and have the en route charts in hand. Thanks again for the idea.

The G1000 is a FMS, and one can EASILY get complacent. This will be good practice. Besides, what if I need to fly a plane in the clouds with no fancy computer?

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
And to answer your other question, yes ATC will see you doing 4x your KIAS....400-500kts. I don't suggest asking for this in busy airspace. I've heard people get denied, because the freq was so busy that there was hardly time for them to ask in the first place!

Nope. Even if a pilot is doing 120 GS and they accelerate to 4X they still show us as doing 120 on the scope. They just move across the screen a lot faster than that

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted

Nope. Even if a pilot is doing 120 GS and they accelerate to 4X they still show us as doing 120 on the scope. They just move across the screen a lot faster than that

I geuss that's kind of what I meant, sorry.

3711154647_0eac39f1a2_o.jpg