You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

headsets

Blake Engelage 1069038

Blake Engelage 1069038
Posted
Posted

what is the cheapest one avaliable

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

You want the cheapest one that works, or the cheapest one that doesn't work?

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

The cheapest I've seen is about $10-15 US. The cheapest one I've ever had a long run with was $40 US. I've had a couple $25-30 dollar sets, on both the line started deteriorating after a couple months. There was also one once that I (not thinking) put in a duffel bag that I was taking on a flight. Surprise surprise, when I arrived in Orlando, the headset was broken in two.

Since then, I've used one that is a single-ear set (so that it's hopefully much harder to break...plus it's easier on the ears, and it's more realistic for a controller). To do that, I got one for a telephone (which is a 2.5mm standard, unlike computers) and managed to find a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack converter.

Steve Ogrodowski

Yusuf Pulatov 1054147
Posted
Posted

I've got mine for 5 bucks from K-mart about a year ago

[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/1054147/4730.png[/img]

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted

The cheapest one I've seen was in a dollar store (Canada), it has a life expectancy of one week, if you're lucky.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted
The cheapest one I've seen was in a dollar store (Canada), it has a life expectancy of one week, if you're lucky.

That sums it up, I suggest you invest in a good headset for around £30-40 (Not sure how much they're going for your way) which will cost you less in the long run

vatme-sig.jpg

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

I've gone through about 5 headsets this summer, all 20 a piece. As you can see, its probably cheaper to shell out about 80 bucks and get a nice one. I'll have to try it

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Microsoft LifeChat 3400X is what i use and i have had it for about a year now and no problems with it watsoever.

955672.png

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I'm still using the same cheap Logitech headset that I bought when I joined VATSIM. It's falling apart, but it still gets the job done. As long as you don't beat the hell out of them, even relativity cheap headsets will last a while.

For controlling I use an H31+DA40.