You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Blue screen of death!

Abdulahad Khan 968002

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

Ok Last weekend I was out of town for a couple of days. Before I felt, I wanted to make sure that the computer was shut down, but it was already off. (Maybe someone in my family did it of it turned off by itself) So when I got back home I turn on my PC and it boots up but it doesnt go as far as user login but istead I get a blue screen, which say;

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to make sure any new hardware or sodtware is properly installed...

Technical information:

**Stop: 0x0000C1f5 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tried the key to go into system recovery, but it does do anything. And that is the same with the F8 key, when the blue screen tells me to use to go into safemode.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CHECK IT OUT: http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/73067

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

You do not mention type of OS and PC.

The error points to a defective or problematic hard drive in Windows Vista. Google that stop error for many articles on a possible fix. Most answers I found were to replace hard drive or re-seat HDD cables and memory.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

Yes I do have Vista, and a HP Slimline s7700y, 1.6GHz dual core, IGB and GeForce 7500Le .

Yeah before I posted this, I did search on google and did find the Resetting solution. I have ordered a recovery disk so I am waiting for that. Just wanted to get more thoughts

Thanks

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)

Matthew Bonnett 1053110
Posted
Posted

Really, a stop error could be just about anything. Windows (any NT version, 2k, XP, Vista...) is REALLY good about being vague like that.

A couple things to think about and check:

~Any hardware or software installed recently or just before this started?

~Any previous indications of any hardware going south?

~Check cables, expansion cards, etc. and reseat everything securely just in case.

All else fails, try disconnecting/removing all but the bare essentials needed to boot the machine (ram, hard drive, video card. if onboard video is available, use it and remove addon card, remove sound card if also added on. disconnect floppy/cd drives) and try booting in that configuration. If it works, add things back one at a time till the stop error returns and you have your culprit. If it still doesn't boot, I'd start by doing a hard drive scan (Spinrite is top notch for this, but payware. Should be able to run chkdsk from the xp/vista cd recovery console or use a utility on any of the *nix distrobution livecd's). If it comes back clean, try a livecd and see if it throws any errors at all (usually signifies motherboard related hardware going bad). Finally, if that comes back ok, you probably simply have something in software making a mess and probably just need to do a simple reinstall of windows to correct it.

1053110.png

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

aaahhh

ive had this happen a few times

you need the recovery CD

you put in the recovery CD

turn on the computer and keep tapping F2 repeatedly till it opens up a set up screen.

Then you go to the Boot options and change around the order so CD Drive comes up first in the list (remember the order of boot so you can set it back to default when it recovers)

then it runs the recovery CD. Clear all partitions (all your data will be lost but your computer still lives).

THen you do all the recovery then it restarts and asks for the driver CD

then it jsut installs everything back to normal

whole process takes about 45 mins

its all self explanatory (the whole process)

once everything is done and you go to the desktop and its back to normal

then you restart it and tap F2 repeatedly again till it opens up and then go to boot options and set everything back to normal and all you ahve to do now is to download all the programs again

hope it helps

see you later

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

Alright thank you guys so much for the time and the info, I will be waiting for the Recovery CD and lets see what happens.

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)