You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

USA Training Program?

Christopher Barker 1044084

Christopher Barker 1044084
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have been doing this for about a year now. I am a member of CIX VFR and they provide excellent training in UK VFR procedures. These guys are great! They have a ton of materials and you can talk to an instructor on teamspeak. What they don't do however is provide USA training or anything IFR.

I'm wondering if there is a group like CIX, but American, that can school me in the way the US does things, and IFR procedures. I'm from the USA, and would love to learn the ropes here, and maybe make it to controlling here?

Thanks!

7748.png

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

ZLA Pilot Center?

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

Haven't used it but it sounds like what you need. Good luck!

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Parry
Posted
Posted

I think there should be an academy, like they had for ATC but for pilots (some need it VERY bad just my two cents. I am not a fan of the ZLA pilot cert things, its all in ZLA, what good will that do me in Texas orhow about New York?

Ryan Parry - 965346

spacer.png

www.pilotcentral.org | www.oakartcc.org

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
I think there should be an academy, like they had for ATC but for pilots (some need it VERY bad just my two cents. I am not a fan of the ZLA pilot cert things, its all in ZLA, what good will that do me in Texas orhow about New York?

The ZLA pilot certs are not there to teach you to how to fly in ZLA. They teach you the VFR basics from the pattern to transitioning cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace.

It teaches the IFR basics, from how to read a chart, to flying a STAR, how to fly a hold, an approach, a procedure turn, etc. It doesn't mater if you are in TX, NY, wherever, the rules are the same.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Steffen Franz 1063884
Posted
Posted

check out the ZOA website (www.oakartcc.com) in the next couple of days.

There will be a weekly new pilot event @ KSMF (9/14 and beyond) where controllers will take time aside to explain you procedures, phraeseology, IFR, VFR, etc. etc.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

The ZLA pilot certs are not there to teach you to how to fly in ZLA. They teach you the VFR basics from the pattern to transitioning cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace.

It teaches the IFR basics, from how to read a chart, to flying a STAR, how to fly a hold, an approach, a procedure turn, etc. It doesn't mater if you are in TX, NY, wherever, the rules are the same.

It's almost like a pilot license in the real world. While you might learn in only one small geographic location, the procedures and methods you learn can be applied everywhere.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted
check out the ZOA website (www.oakartcc.com) in the next couple of days.

There will be a weekly new pilot event @ KSMF (9/14 and beyond) where controllers will take time aside to explain you procedures, phraeseology, IFR, VFR, etc. etc.

I wonder how long that's going to last Actually, that's a great idea, but trust me you'll probably want to smash your head against a wall with all new pilots ... see, explaining to 2,3,4 new pilots is one thing, but 20 at a time?!

I hope ZOA carries this one out... it should work pretty good [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming everyone keeps their hair in

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

As I recall Justin, Don Fiveash did it for years - and very very successfully.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted
I am not a fan of the ZLA pilot cert things, its all in ZLA, what good will that do me in Texas orhow about New York?

Ryan, have you actually _looked_ at the ratings to see what material they cover? Other than one rating (V-3) which covers published Bravo transitions of LAX, the knowledge you acquire is applicable everywhere in the United States. It was done that way by design, precisely so that it WOULD be useful to any pilot flying in the USA.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

And I'd hazard, Keith, that with knowledge of how to fly those Bravo transitions you could likely follow just about any airspace transition throughout most of the US as well.

Ryan Parry
Posted
Posted

hmm ok never mind.

I may do the cert thing myself, just for something new.

Ryan Parry - 965346

spacer.png

www.pilotcentral.org | www.oakartcc.org

Steffen Franz 1063884
Posted
Posted

check out www.oakartcc.com, it might just be what you are looking for