You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

AWE identifier coming back

Peter Van Dyke 1057080

Peter Van Dyke 1057080
Posted
Posted

Looks like the FAA and the airline are trying to clear up the confusion with the USA/Cactus change:

EFFECTIVE: 09/19/2008 – TIME 0800Z

CANCELLATION: 01/15/2009

SUBJECT: CHANGES TO FAA ORDER JO 7340.2, CONTRACTIONS, CHAPTER 3, SECTIONS 1, 2, AND 3.

THE FOLLOWING ADDITION, CANCELLATION, MODIFICATION TO THE CORPORATE

TELEPHONY AND IDENTIFIER [Mod - Happy Thoughts]IGNMENTS HAVE BEEN APPROVED.

THIS CANCELS GENOT RWA 8/20

MODIFICATIONS

COMPANY TELEPHONY IDENT

TO : US AIRWAYS (PHOENIX, AZ) CACTUS AWE

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=33147

Correct. Somebody finally realized how ridiculous a change it was in the first place. It will be fixed on the 19th.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Peter Van Dyke 1057080
Posted
Posted

No kidding, that had to be one of the most ridiculous things I'd seen in a while. As someone else in another forum pointed out, it's like looking at something that is blue but having to say that it's red.

Plus I'm getting a little exhausted having to explain myself every time I fly online...

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hahaha wow. I wonder if the seasoned USA = Cactus controllers (if there are any) will be irritated. I'd be.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

every feed ive listened to on liveatc this week has been the same. "US Air 152, uh sorry, Cactus 152"

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

So, just to get this straight now (nearly impossible now days - I know), all of U.S. Airways will be changing over to AWE and retaining Cactus for the callsign now? This isn't one of those east coast/west coast deals again is it?

Thanks,

AJ

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

AJ, correct. the entire USAIR fleet will be switching to AWE and the telephony "Cactus." This happens the 19th of this month.

This isn't one of those east coast/west coast deals again is it?

We had one of them check in the other day with the callsign "East Cactus." ROFL!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Anyone know what IATA code they are using? Maybe confusing for some p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers to see a US Airways flight listed as HPxxxx rather than USxxxx.

Cheers!

Paul.

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Anyone know what IATA code they are using? Maybe confusing for some p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers to see a US Airways flight listed as HPxxxx rather than USxxxx.

Cheers!

Paul.

The IATA became US last year on September 26th the day of the FOS/DECs cutover - Merged certificate.

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

I saw another piece of paperwork at my facility that they are still using USA**** but the name is Cactus... havent seen anything on USA going to AWE on the alphanumerics.

Nick

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

It's not effective yet, but it will be soon.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted
I saw another piece of paperwork at my facility that they are still using USA**** but the name is Cactus... havent seen anything on USA going to AWE on the alphanumerics.

It's happening Sept. 19th.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Nick,

The USA using Cactus was effective September 1st, and they're changing and making all US Air/America West callsigns AWE when it was just USA. It will remain "cactus" but'll just make it a little less confusing.

Justin

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

Ahhhh then that means I'll get that info in the R&I binder on October 15th lol

Nick