You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 and Vista

Dave Catalani

Dave Catalani
Posted
Posted

Will FS9 run on a windows vista system?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Will FS9 run on a windows vista system?

Yes, Just set the Compatibility mode to the FS9.exe file to Disable desktop composition.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Yes, Just set the Compatibility mode to the FS9.exe file to Disable desktop composition.

Larry, what does that do exactly??

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Larry: I would go as far as saying you should shut off such "advanced" features entirely.... they don't work with fs9/fsx and they certainly don't even work when there is just a desktop

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Larry, what does that do exactly??

Larry: I would go as far as saying you should shut off such "advanced" features entirely.... they don't work with fs9/fsx and they certainly don't even work when there is just a desktop

Personally I like the appearance. I also like the appearance of Windows XP default desktop theme over Windows 95/98’s desktop theme. Likewise I like the appearance of the Windows 95 default desktop them over the Windows 3.1 default desktop theme.

There was a time when I didn’t pay attention to the differences between 16 color and 256 colors. Back in Windows 3.1 for a while I thought people were wasting their money by buying the 1 meg video cards and getting Super VGA monitors over standard VGA monitors. I believe I started appreciating the higher video appearance just before upgrading to Windows 95.

I realized the higher resolution took up more system resources, I found the investment to not be such a burden with the improved visual appearance.

The Aero (gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]y) appearance is a nice visual experience for me while I’m working. I also like the 3D flip for switching between windows. When working I usually have not less than 40 windows open. I find it very convenient to scroll the fan to look for various applications and see the image of the task.

It takes resources and of course there’s the option of turning off everything and have a bland environment. I spend a lot of time at my computer in the course of my work. I work with my clients using the remote desktop feature and often have 5 to 10 linux consoles running that I review from time to time.

I’m glad the OS developers took the time to add the variety. While I believe the Linux developers do more with their desktops, I’m glad Microsoft attempts to keep up.

As an analogy, I recently added brighter curtains to my office. I could work have saved the money and continued to work with the drab curtains but the new curtains makes the time I spend in the office more interesting.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Well lets just stick to the confines of FS9/FS10. The fact remains all those new themes are actually not even integrated into the operating system. What you are seeing is a re-rendering of windows 2003 server screen. As soon as you kill that process it simply reverts back to being the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic view. I run it myself but only the textures seem to work for me. Any alpha blends or animation are choppy at best during game play. The most annoying is spam email getting through and causing a hiccup.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Well lets just stick to the confines of FS9/FS10. The fact remains all those new themes are actually not even integrated into the operating system. What you are seeing is a re-rendering of windows 2003 server screen. As soon as you kill that process it simply reverts back to being the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic view. I run it myself but only the textures seem to work for me. Any alpha blends or animation are choppy at best during game play. The most annoying is spam email getting through and causing a hiccup.

Actually, Erhan, I understand that you run it, though I have no idea why. Of course you know why I run it because I mentioned it (as a response to the questions). But anyway, maybe you’re right. Let’s stick to the question of FS9/FS10, currently no one is trying to figure out how to run either on Windows 2003 server. But they were interested in how to run FS9 and FS10 on Vista and why I suggested the mode check in contrast to tuning off the visual completely, where in my case, I would lose productivity.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Vista = windows server 2003 + lipstick.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Oh, this is just trolling. There's no factual accuracy to this statement.

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Oh, this is just trolling. There's no factual accuracy to this statement.

Luke

Thanks, Luke. I didn't reply because I reviewed his messages from his profile and noticed a pattern in messages to me. They appeared to be more directed at me than concerned with the topic at hand.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

From wiki.....

Faced with ongoing delays and concerns about feature creep, Microsoft announced on August 27, 2004 that it had revised its plans. The original Longhorn, based on the Windows XP source code, was s[Mod - lovely stuff]ped, and Longhorn's development started anew, building on the Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 codebase, and re-incorporating only the features that would be intended for an actual operating system release.

Larry & Luke: it's nice that you two realize who/what you really are.