You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Video Card upgrade. How many FPS will I get?

John Reggie 1075977

John Reggie 1075977
Posted
Posted

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...

I have two GB of RAM and usually get 30 Frame rates in fs9. I have a emachine, ATI-200 graphic card, 533 MHz power supply. Will I see a increase?

Here's my specs. http://www0.dealtime.com/xPF-eMachines-eMachines-T5212-Desktop-PC

With AI traffic turned on, at some airports like , (JFK) I get 10 fps. Turn it off, I get 20. In the air I get 34 FPS locked. Usually at smaller airport's (kbos, Mkco etc) with AI traffic on I get 20 FPS. Everything is maxed out, I have excellent texture's just not frame rates.

Will that video card improve my fps? should I upgrade anything else?

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

Well usally the GPU(video card) wont see that many more new fps then what your used to such as with traffic on but you may see mabye another 10 because now the computer is using the GPU"S ram instead of your main ram so your system will have more ram to be used for FS other then all your addons and graphics. For FS9 you really dnt need a expensive GPU mabye a 8600GT OC editon should suit the job but if you wnt to run other games like crysis or run FSX i suggust getting a 8800GT ultra and possibly SLI in that card, but no matter what dnt go for the 9600's Nvida really flopped up on those and they dnt compare in any benchmarks to the 8800gt and they barley beat the 8600's and for a price hike of more then 150 from a standard 8600 its not worth it.

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Ross Moir 844817
Posted
Posted

Try not to get too carried away with the Frame Rate issue. If the motion you percieve on your screen is smooth , whether at 20 FPS or 200FPS , thats what you want , smooth !! I prefer to spend my flying time flying , not looking at frame rates !!

Ross

Taxiway ALPHA Landing Expert

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Try not to get too carried away with the Frame Rate issue. If the motion you percieve on your screen is smooth , whether at 20 FPS or 200FPS , thats what you want , smooth !! I prefer to spend my flying time flying , not looking at frame rates !!

Ross

Hi, Ross. When I do is optimize my system to get the most FPS, then I’ll lock the FPS at something lower to provide resources for other elements of the system to ensure good overall performance for the complete session.

Currently I’ll adjust the sliders where I might get about 25FPS then I’ll lock the rate to 15. As you mentioned I find that 15FPS appears sufficiently smooth to my eyes. All the other resources will be applied to other components as well as the system basically being able to perform consistently.

Whenever I change hardware, I’ll check the FPS as a meter to see if (and how much if any) increase in performance the upgrade gives me.

Before using this method, I used to notice that some sessions were smooth and others left lots to be desired. I didn’t know why for a long time. I eventually learned this method of checking.

I usually check the FPS as one of my elements for preparing a session. I find that a fresh reboot of the system will get me better performance. There are rare times when I’ll check the FPS and the performance appear sufficient where I might not reboot before staring my session.

I find it a nice scale to see which visual features I can turn on (or tune up) and still maintain sufficient performance.

I would love to have a system or conditions that would give me 100FPS. I would never lock the FPS at higher than 30 because I don’t think I can perceive a difference higher. However, I’d be glad to feel that I had the resources to have something applied to performance consistency and other resources while being able to turn up the sliders for a better visual experience.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Ross Moir 844817
Posted
Posted

I have to agree with you Larry , sometimes a reboot cures a multitude of FPS evils !!

Ross

Taxiway ALPHA Landing Expert