You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hard drive help

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

ok so I am building a new system but did not buy a new hardrive or a new Os and was wondering if i can use my old drive with my Os for my new system since i dont have the XP disk just a code?

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Max Udaskin 948868
Posted
Posted

Depends. Your HDD* has to be compatable with your mobo**. Chances are, depending on how old your old HDD is, is that your HDD is PATA*** and your Mobo is SATA****.

*Hard Drive Disk

**Motherboard

***Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment

****Serial Advanced Technology Attachment

_SATPAT.JPG

Go fly a plane...better yet, go build a tree fort and get some fresh air.

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

my hard drive is sata so will the system notice the OS on the hard drive?

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

David Scobie 858274
Posted
Posted

just moving the 'old' HD to the new computer can/will cause problems. the new computer's hardware (motherboard, vid card, other things) require different drivers and have different IDs than what the OS on the old HD is expecting. this can cause all sorts of 'strange' behaviors.

i just built a new system. a builder's copy of winXP goes for ~$90 (US). my recommendation is you do a 'clean' install on a clean HD to avoid challenges. the new HD doesn't even need to be all that large as all it will contain is the OS.

the old HD can be brought over to the new system. as long as you set the new computer to boot off a different HD (ie, the clean install of winXP) the old HD will just be there as extra storage (and containing your FS files/data/etc.).

just my 2-cents.

--

--

d. scobie

simmer since FS1 for the MAC

miniejetgraphic.jpgclassic3.jpgcrj.jpg

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

well all the hard drive would need to recongnize would be the new MOBO im keeping the 8800gt with my system and im keeping the DVD burner and lite scrib

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

The issue here is not moving the existing hard drive to a new system, it's moving an existing OS installation to a new system.

There are two issues to keep in mind:

- Windows cannot switch to another HAL* after it's been installed. What this means is that if you switch from a single-core (or single-CPU) system to a multi-core (or multi-CPU) system you must reinstall, otherwise the extra core/CPU will not be used.

- Windows XP is very bad at having the motherboard changed. Depending on how big the change is (e.g. if you're sticking with an Intel chipset it's more likely to work than if you switch Intel to nForce or something), you might be lucky and it'll take a few reboots for Windows to pick up the new hardware, or you might end up with one BSOD after another. Vista is much better at this but unfortunately you're using XP.

If the first point isn't an issue the only thing you can do is try. If you're lucky, it works, otherwise you'll have to reinstall. In any case, make sure you backup all your data beforehand. That never hurts.

*Hardware Abstraction Layer

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png