You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC will not connect

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I never had this problem on my old computer. I am now using one with Vista and I copied my VRC files from my old XP computer. I can access the log in for VRC and enter my information and the network and version checks are successful. But when I hit Connect it states it is connecting and then 20 seconds later I am disconnected from the network. I have tried it just as observer status with same result.

Could this be a Vista issue?

Do I need to reinstall VRC?

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

i think it would be best to keep your sector files and reset VRC.

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

I'm not quite sure what the issue would be offhand. I would first do what Arjun said. Make sure you're config and sector files are backed up, then delete the VRC configuration file. Obviously you copied it already, so hopefully you remember what file(s) they are...should be something like vrc.cfg or something or other. Basically...you'll be resetting VRC, see if that works. It could be that the copied files have caused VRC to be unable to connect. If not, then move on:

Usually when I get issues, it goes opposite of what you're saying. Usually, I'll start up VRC and I'll get a message saying "Unable to download server information," (something similar)...but then if I go to connect, I can connect fine. In your situation, it seems like you're getting the initial download fine, but can't connect. Which is weird, because it makes it seem like Vista or your firewall/router aren't affecting or blocking VRC from connecting to the internet (to get the download), but may be having issues connecting you afterwards.

One first step might be to try disabling any and all firewalls, and see if anything is different. Also check to make sure VRC is able to be run as "Administrator" mode or whatever that is. If you haven't done that, go into your Program Files > VRC folder, right click VRC.EXE and find the area that lets you "Run Program as Administrator." I'm using a Win XP computer at the moment, so I don't remember the exact wording of the menus.

And then the routine "doi" questions...you're certain you're using the correct p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word/username? I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you are; if that was wrong, it would try to connect and then tell you it's wrong. It sounds like it's timing out.

Last thing to check, and this might be problem...if you have a new firewall, as well as Vista's firewall, you might need to forward/permit port 6809 (TCP) and the 3782 & 3290 (UDP & TCP) through the firewall(s). 3290 is for G/G Voice, 3782 is for radio Voice, and 6809 is for the network itself. If 6809 is not being allowed, then it's likely you can't get through to VATSIM. Again, I'm not on a Vista computer at the moment, so I can't explain exactly how to change the Vista firewall settings. I know how to do it in XP, but that won't help you .

Steve Ogrodowski

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I tried just about everything Steve suggested and it had no effect. Buit I may have stumbled onto an explanation. The VATSIM manual for running SB3 notes that there is an issue with Norton and Mcafee setups for Vista that does not allow SB3 to run. I have Norton (of course) and suspect that the same limitation may be blocking my VRC and ASRC efforts.

The manual states that at present there is no workaround to this problem so it appears I may be SOL until something can be done to eliminate the block. Apparently it has to do with anti-virus software setups.

Sure would have been nice if I knerw about this before I bought a new computer with enough horsepower to finally run FSX!

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Darn, that's too bad. I really thought that the Firewall + the Ports would've helped the situation or been the main problem. Sorry Roger...I really can't think of anything else. Maybe someone else can come up with something.

Steve Ogrodowski

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Buit I may have stumbled onto an explanation. The VATSIM manual for running SB3 notes that there is an issue with Norton and Mcafee setups for Vista that does not allow SB3 to run.

I believe this affects DirectPlay which injects traffic into the FS9 multiplayer session, not the connection to VATSIM. Can you telnet to a server via 6809?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Holger Illgen 941708
Posted
Posted

if you have UAC on, don't forget to give admin rights to the VRC.exe application, or better turn off UAC did you already reinstall?

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I believe this affects DirectPlay which injects traffic into the FS9 multiplayer session, not the connection to VATSIM. Can you telnet to a server via 6809?

if you have UAC on, don't forget to give admin rights to the VRC.exe application, or better turn off UAC did you already reinstall?

Luke and Holger- thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have no idea what these things are that you are suggesting. Telnetting and UAC are not terms with which I am familiar.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png