You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Triple display for side views- how to do it?

Antonio Palmieri

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Hi.

Over the past months I read that many of you have multi-screen setups. Now I am considering adding 2 displays too.

I was going to go the maxivista way as I have a few old laptops to spare, but it is not compatible with Vista.

I have a nVidia 8800 Ultra with 2 outputs at the back. One is used by my current screen.

I'd like to add 2 additional displays for side views.

Browsing through these forums I learnt about the Matrox DualHead2Go. Is this gadget what I need for the job?

Is there anything else I should consider for a good side view setup? (I'd only use the 2 monitors for vatsim flying, not for normal PC use)

Thanks,

Antonio

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I think you'll actually need a TripleHead2Go, but I haven't done this myself.

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

TripleHead2Go has 3 outputs

DualHead2Go has 2 outputs.

My graphic card has 2 outputs.

Can I use 1 output from my graphic card to power the main display, and the second output on my card to feed a DualHead2Go for the additional two monitors?

Antonio

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted
TripleHead2Go has 3 outputs

DualHead2Go has 2 outputs.

My graphic card has 2 outputs.

Can I use 1 output from my graphic card to power the main display, and the second output on my card to feed a DualHead2Go for the additional two monitors?

Antonio

It should be possible - however for a more immersive experience I'd recommend the triple head to go. Price wise there is not much difference and the TripleHead2Go would allow you to "wrap" a vitrual cockpit around you. It would also be easier to set up as there would be less messing about with screen order etc.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Matrox Triplehead 2 Go + TrackIR is the way to go

I think it would be possible to set up like you have noted with the DualHead, however this will lead to two things.

1) The view using the 2 monitors will yield a split right in the middle of your view.

2) Using both of the outputs from your card will drop you FPS a bit. I noticed when I went from 2 monitors to 3 monitors (using the matrox) I ended up gaining FPS like crazy since I wasn't using two outputs.

See here for my setup. Let me know if you have any questions...

Matrox-TripleHead2Go-001.jpg

Benjamin

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

Max Udaskin 948868
Posted
Posted

Hey, is that bottle open? What happened to no drinking and flying?

Go fly a plane...better yet, go build a tree fort and get some fresh air.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

1) That beer is so lite in fact it doesn't count.

2) The beauty of simming - 0 hours bottle to throttle... I think (Vatism probably has a rule under section 23092834.23098234 Section A-F Sub-section 230498.2 Parts 1-4 ) Just kidding just kidding.

FSE.gif

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
2) The beauty of simming - 0 hours bottle to throttle... I think (Vatism probably has a rule under section 23092834.23098234 Section A-F Sub-section 230498.2 Parts 1-4 ) Just kidding just kidding.

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
Matrox Triplehead 2 Go + TrackIR is the way to go

I think it would be possible to set up like you have noted with the DualHead, however this will lead to two things.

1) The view using the 2 monitors will yield a split right in the middle of your view.

2) Using both of the outputs from your card will drop you FPS a bit. I noticed when I went from 2 monitors to 3 monitors (using the matrox) I ended up gaining FPS like crazy since I wasn't using two outputs.

See here for my setup. Let me know if you have any questions...

Benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

Thanks - just the kind of info I was looking for.

Drop in framerate from the card is a no worry - the Ultra will manage that I would think.

The split in the middle of the two screens (out of the supposed DualHead) would be more of a concern, enough to go for the Triple. It's not something I'm familiar with, I would have though I could just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign monitor 1, 2, 3 regardless of the output device. But I definitely take your word for it as I have no experience in this

Nice setup by the way! How do you find the Logitech yoke and pedals ?

Antonio

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Antonio-

Thanks - the setup has been rocking. I can't think of anything else I would like to change. I see that Matrox is coming out with a widescreen 3H2Go - which 3x 22" LCDs would have been nice.

Regarding the monitor devisions - the matrox 3H2Go make the computer see just 1 monitor - not 3. The resolution that I run at is 3840 x 1024 ... not three separate 1280 x 1024 screens 1, 2 and 3. This is what allows FSX to stretch over the wide aspect - it thinks there is only one monitor.

So, if you have two monitors my hunch is that it would run the dualhead 2560 x 1024 (acting as 1 monitor) and the lone third monitor out of the GPU as a independent that you could drag instruments.

Regarding the pedals and yoke - I have the CH Yoke and Saitek pedals. They are both great and I haven't had a problem with either of them.

If you don't have one already, get a TrackIR. Personally I will never fly with out. I would get the TrackIR long before I ever bought the pedals. In my opinion, this makes simming all worth it. Without a TrackIR its a dull flat world out there.

It should be noted that with multi-monitor set up that if you are going to stretch a 2D panel over the two screens - it will do just that - stretch and distort. So be prepared to fly in the VC if you get a matrox of any kind.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Brilliant explanation - thanks. Now, the notion of just one screen explains it all. 3H2GO it is then.

I did mean Saitek, not Logitech - sorry. I would still be interested in knowing why you chose that particular combination, ie the yoke from CH and the pedals from Saitek. What info did you have that made you go that way?

Ragarding head tracking, yes, I have something for that. I just properly installed it over the weekend and it's ...... AMAZING! I was just fine tuning it this evening and I am amazed at the precision and fluidity!

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

I bought the CH Yoke based on general reviews and the Saitek yoke hadn't released yet. The Saitek pedals looked cool and I like the tension adjustments. So I just went with the Saitek pedals.

I have the Saittek X52 Pro HOTAS as well so I knew that the Saitek name would treat me alright.

Your head tracking solution is FreeTrack? Do tell... I am always looking for more opinions on the "less expensive" options in comparison to the TrackIR. I need to just build a Freetrack so I can do my own analysis. I know how darn good the TrackIR works with out error and 0 setup so I am always curious to know what Freetrack gets in comparison.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

On the Saitek yoke - I have one and love it. Haven't tried the CHProducts one though.

Actually I was looking at the TH2Go myself today. If I had some cash for new monitors, I'd be all over that - for working as well as FS.

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
I bought the CH Yoke based on general reviews and the Saitek yoke hadn't released yet. The Saitek pedals looked cool and I like the tension adjustments. So I just went with the Saitek pedals.

I have the Saittek X52 Pro HOTAS as well so I knew that the Saitek name would treat me alright.

Your head tracking solution is FreeTrack? Do tell... I am always looking for more opinions on the "less expensive" options in comparison to the TrackIR. I need to just build a Freetrack so I can do my own analysis. I know how darn good the TrackIR works with out error and 0 setup so I am always curious to know what Freetrack gets in comparison.

Benjamin

Freetrack indeed.

I do not have TrackIR, so I cannot make a comparison. You will, perhaps. What I can say about FreeTrack is it's AMAZING. It took me some time to get into the mood of things because one has to build a piece that will hold 3 LEDs. Six month ago I tried a quick job with one led attached to my headset. It was BAD. Last week I decided to give it another try.

Now I have a cap by my desk with 3 cool LEDs neatly mounted on it. It made all the difference. My webcam (I tried with 2 different ones, same results) now tracks the LEDs even if I have the lights on in the room. The software then can help by adjusting rotations and translations... curves, sensitivities and so on for all 6 DOF. It has an interface for MSFS, and also for x-xplane. At first I got motion sickness. One day later I adjusted all the levels, one by one, for each movement in turn according to what felt most natural. Now it is smooth, immediate, precise. I can't believe I just got this thing to work so well, so good. For free? No, I spent a couple of bucks for 3 leds and resistors and I had a lot of enthusiasm to build the cap myself, which was fun. The rest, yes, for free.

Let me know if yo uhave more questions..

Antonio

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Sounds great... post a picture of your creation. I have no doubt that it works and works well.

I am curious to know how well the tracking is... like what's the speed? Is there any delay..at all?

That's pretty cool!

Garry - The real estate for working pays itself off in no time... nothing like not having to flip between 10 different applications!

FSE.gif

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I can definitely see that Benjamin. I currently have 2 monitors from the dual head card, but can't use the second because when working from home I RDP in and XP doesn't support a dual monitor setup that way. I'm thinking if RDP supports the single monitor at that width, and the bandwidth will support it, I could be just as productive at home (moreso with the not-interrupting me boost) as I am at the office with regards to seeing enough windows to not be flipping back and forth.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Have you given LogMeIn a try for you RDP? I know it handles multi monitors... The RDP I use here at the office (GotoMyPc) does not handle multi-monitors.

Any rate, something to try. It may or may not help given your specific conditions. Personally, I am simply waiting for my powerball boat to sail in and solve my work issues.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Shannon Mason 810297
Posted
Posted

I currently use dual monitors, I had always wondered why I couldn't use FS on both screens I can use FS on one screen but I don't really notice a FPS drop when I'm not using the 2nd monitor really but when I try to add a 2nd view and drag it from FS then I notice a huge drop.

I don't want to use dualview or trippleview to stretch MSFS really, I just want one for the 2D panel (I prefer 2D) and one for say a wing view or chase view and then one other display shows FSC, FSRT, etc. Perhaps I might buy WideFS now that I have two PCs.

Would using the matrox be worth it even if I do not plan to stretch my game across 2-3 monitors?

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
Sounds great... post a picture of your creation. I have no doubt that it works and works well.

I am curious to know how well the tracking is... like what's the speed? Is there any delay..at all?

Ok, picture to come in the next couple of days.

But to show you really how the speed is, well, that would require a video.... I'll see if I get time for that perhaps at the weekend.

For what is worth, I get 30 fps from Freetrack. I don't mean FS9, I mean that the flow between the webcam and the tracking device is at a full 30fps, no jitter. Which translates into a pretty immediate response into the sim, which itself is running at its 40 plus fpss, all maxed out.

Oh, do I like your setup!!!

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Cool - looking forward to the video / images.

Shannon - Yeah, trying to render two view is a FPS hit. Without a monster gpu / cpu you are going to notice. When I had two monitors, I used the second monitor for panels / gauges only.

Would 3H2Go be worth it if only 2D... not for FS any way. Productivity... I would say probably not worth the expense to go from 2 to 3 for general applications. It's nice.. but not sure it would be worth the bank.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Shannon Mason 810297
Posted
Posted

Shannon - Yeah, trying to render two view is a FPS hit. Without a monster gpu / cpu you are going to notice. When I had two monitors, I used the second monitor for panels / gauges only.

Would 3H2Go be worth it if only 2D... not for FS any way. Productivity... I would say probably not worth the expense to go from 2 to 3 for general applications. It's nice.. but not sure it would be worth the bank.

Benjamin

well I kinda want one monitor for panel, 2nd for wing view/chase and then 3rd monitor for map/apps how could I implement this if getting a 3H2Go isn't worth it? Would I be better off getting a SLI board and then running a 3rd monitor off the 2nd GPU without enabling SLI mode?

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

I think you could do it with a 3H2Go - it's just that you would have to run everything in windowed mode. For me, this has yielded mix results on the FPS. More or less you would have 3 windows (or more) on one wide display.

I am not sure you get it to do this with SLI... not sure it would yield a 1,2,3,4 monitor setup. I am pretty sure even when you run SLI you end up with only 2 usable outputs - I am certain of this at all but that's my hunch. It's only the processing power that is utilized. The outputs from the #1 card would be your only options.

Perhaps you could use the 2H2Go for monitors 1 and 2...and then the second output for LCD 3. This would allow you to have a couple of different windows. How much cheaper is Dualhead than 3H2go?

EDIT : Now that I think about it.... I would build another computer to handle my maps etc while flying. I think I can build a nice once for sub 400 clams that would be less expensive than 3H2go...

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I just use an old machine for maps, charts, VatSpy, etc. on a separate screen.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that's what I need to do as well. The old Vaio laptop just isn't cutting it any longer... it's too sloooow.

I am moving here in a month or so to make room for family addition... which also means that the simulator office room is also expanding. The thing holding me up now is the number of receptacles in the office. I need more power!

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Benjamin

well I kinda want one monitor for panel, 2nd for wing view/chase and then 3rd monitor for map/apps how could I implement this if getting a 3H2Go isn't worth it? Would I be better off getting a SLI board and then running a 3rd monitor off the 2nd GPU without enabling SLI mode?

Shannon- something about SLIing

I'm not the expert on the matter, but from my limited knowledge a SLI setup just to implement maps and apps would be an expensive and an absolute overkill.

What a SLI gives you is extra GPU processing power especially noticeable under heavy graphic loads, and especially at higher resolutions.

In the flightsim environment, that would mean something like FSX or X-PLANE all maxed out over multiple monitors at a high res and then yes, you would tickle that SLI.

For maps and apps you don't really need THAT extra GPU power. It would be like having a Ferrari, but knowing that you are only going to drive it at 10mph. Expensive, but indeed cool. Of course, if cash is no prob get two nVidia Ultra in SLI... and so on and so forth, with 3 projectors for front and side views, and two additional monitors for apps and maps!

Your bottleneck depends on your specific system specs, ie what graphic card you've got at present, what CPU and how much system RAM and video RAM, mainly.

If your card can handle the 3 monitors, than the TripleHead2go would probably be a good solution for you. However, you were saying that already by having a second FS view on the second monitor killed your FPS, which means you already got close the limit (on the graphic side at least rather than CPU). However, if you were to display maps and apps like FSC, that would draw more from CPU and system RAM rather than GPU, so the TRIPLEH2G would possibly work..

One more thing about SLIing... it's not as straightforward as adding a big monster of videocards. With SLI you got to take care of power supply (clean,steady, enough power), wheather your MOBO supports it, and most likely, cooling.

With a Matrox you wouldn't have to do that.

Just a thought.

Antonio