You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MotherBoard?

Abdulahad Khan 968002

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

Right now I have the following:

Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz:

800MHz Front side bus

Socket LGA775

Manufacturer: Asus

Motherboard Name: PTGD-LA

HP Motherboard Name: Goldfish3-GL8E

200 GB SATA Hardrive

7200 rpm

16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL LightScribe drive

PCI K56flex data/fax modem

Integrated High Definition audio

Realtek ALC 880 chipset

8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Memory card reader

Supports the following cards:

Compact Flash I

Compact Flash II

SmartMedia

Memory Stick

Memory Stick Pro

MultiMediaCard

Secure Digital (SD)

Micro Drive

XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)

If you need more info please ask.

Ok, so now I am looking into get a new motherboard. I need this because my current motherboard only supports a PCI graphics card, any basically they all suck!

I kind of know how to look for it but just want to make sure with you guys who are my experience with this.

For example, since I have a pentium 4 proccessor this is what I have selected: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813138037

will this be compatible with my CPU? What eles do I look for?

PS, I just learnd somethings about liquid cooling so I can using that withe the CPU and the GPU.

Thanks in advance!

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CHECK IT OUT: http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/73067

Shannon Mason 810297
Posted
Posted

Are you sure you don't have PCI-E on your current board? PCI-E looks much smaller than a typical 1st generation PCI slot.

Newegg won't show me the product you linked to, says page is unavailable. I've built PCs I can at least tell you if it will work or not, but I suck at giving powerful PC recommendations.

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted
Are you sure you don't have PCI-E on your current board? PCI-E looks much smaller than a typical 1st generation PCI slot.

Thats really only true for PCI-E1, E4 and E8, PCI-E16 ports are slightly longer than regular PCI ports.

In this picture, from top to bottom there's PCI-E4, PCI-E16, PCI-E1, PCI-E16 and PCI.

As Shannon siad, your link doesnt work, looks like your browser shortened the full URL.

Looking up your current motherboard specs online, it has only three PCI ports, no PCI-E at all. Before you buy a new motherboard make sure you know what size to get, most pre-built computers from companies like HP use smaller cases that can only have motherboards with three expansion ports. There are many options out there, find one that fits your budget, case and requirements. If you get a high-end video card, like a GeForce 8800 or 9800 expect to need a new power supply too, they generally require one or two 6pin power plugs that you computers current power supply likely doesn't have.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add this, modern video cards use PCI-E16 ports, I don't know of any card that ever used E1, E4 or E8 but they will be limited in speed if they do exist. E8 cards being half as fast as E16, etc.

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I got that link from a different website which was pretty old. Here is another one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138122

Where is says CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium, this is compatible with my PC correct, because it says slash Pentium and I have a Pentium 4?

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

That should support your processor, yes. You can tell because the Socket standard is the same between what you posted and the specs on the board.

More importantly, what kind of RAM does your current computer have. You'll want to make sure your RAM is compatible with the new board. Edit: Looks like your current RAM is DDR2 533 - I'm not sure if it will work in the new board or not.

Also, how big is your current power supply? Going to a new Video card may require more juice.

From the current motherboard manufacturer, is your current box a store-bought machine? I can't emphasize enough that these manufacturers very typically use non-standard connectors and parts to make sure you can't just put in new hardware yourself. You may need to add a new standard case and power supply to your budget.

The last couple of times I went with a new motherboard to improve the video card, I just bit the bullet and upgraded the processor, RAM and power supply at the same time.

Shannon Mason 810297
Posted
Posted

Yes the OP should be able to use his DDR2 533, mind you not every brand will work the way you expect them to. If you go to the manufacturer website, they will list the recommended RAM brands and which speeds they have been tested at.

I also don't recommend biostar, I'm sure you can find a decent board (Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, a few others). At least you're going with a more decent chipset (instead of that VIA [Mod - lovely stuff])

If you're going to buy a new board, if budget allows I'd buy a DDR2 1066 or DDR2 800, that board you're looking at supports up to 8GB RAM and lots of SATA drives for a good price too. You can't go wrong with dual core intel CPUs either.

As the above poster said, if you have a major brand PC (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) you'll need to buy a new PSU most likely to be able to use it on your new hardware.

Abdulahad Khan 968002
Posted
Posted

I guys bring up great points! My budget isn't very big right now, so I think I should wait. Save up some more money and just build a new PC myself, starting from the computer case and then eevryhting.

SO I have decided that for a year i will use this [Mod - lovely stuff]py PC but upgrade RAM to 4GB and put a Graphics card in (I have on-board right now), which only has a PCI slot so I dont have much choice. So i think for that i'll go with the Geforce FX5500

Sig-1.jpg

(\__/)