You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Difference in positions

Justin A. Martin

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Hey all:

I had a few questions on UK ATC procedures. I am an instructor at the VATSIM Washington ARTCC in USA, and I was just curious to see some of the differences.

Okay, first of all, what's the difference between "Director", "Control", and "Radar". I think I've picked up that "Director" positions are the USA "Approach" positions. Also, I know "Control" is en-route, but I've seen LON_CTR, MAN_CTR, and EGTT_CTR... are EGTT_CTR and LON_CTR in the same facility in the real-world?

Can someone also explain the difference in facilities? For example, the US has ATCT (Air Traffic Control Tower), TRACON (Terminal Radar Approach Control), and ARTCC (Air Route Traffic Control Center). ATCT is Tower, Ground, and Clearence Delivery. TRACON is Departure and Approach, and ARTCC is Center, or en-route controllers... what is the difference between all the controls and directors and radars and approaches...

Thanks for your help, and I apologize for my ignorance

Justin

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

CTR - en-route control (EGTT_CTR/EGPX_CTR)obviously responsible for all en-route aircraft & also TMA control (LON/MAN/SCO_CTR) (terminal manouvering area) this is the equiv of tracon.

APP - Radar/director both come under this and is basicly approach control to a particular airport but occasionaly control outbounds at the request of en-route or VFR outside the airports control zone.

r/w Both LON and EGTT are in the same facility now at Swanick, MAN is based in a building beside manchester airport i believe but still comes within the EGTT FIR and as mentioned above is the equiv to your TRACON for manchester and the airfeilds around that area and EGPX/SCO are based near Prestwick.

Hope that makes sense.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

That makes a ton of sense! Now, my question is if TMA = TRACON, then what is the APP control considered?

Also, what is the difference between "Approach", "Director, and "radar", if there is any?

Thanks again!

Justin

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

APP control is basicly the unit controlling all inbounds to a certain airfeild for example EGPF_APP is solely taking glasgow inbounds.

All of the ones you mentioned are approach control just basicly that you have different facilities or the position oyu are manning.

e.g.

EGPF_APP - Glasgow Radar

EGPF_F_APP - Glasgow final director (Glasgow Director)

both of these are the approach position for glasgow and can both be opened at the same time just named differently due to the nature of each position and what job they are required to do.

There are many different answers as to when each of the callsigns should be used and also differs at each airport for example Heathrow director is the same as Glasgow radar in that they both primarily vector aircraft for final. The only thing set in stone is that those with the callsign "Radar" should be able to provide a radar service.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Vince Horan
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Craig has pretty much answered it. Just to clarify a couple of specifics...

There are three EGTT positions, EGTT_S_CTR, EGTT_N_CTR and EGTT_W_CTR. Currently when EGTT_S_CTR is open it also covers the airspace of EGTT_W_CTR as well, top down for southern part of UK south of Birmingham. This is due to change shortly and further information will be released in the next few weeks via www.vatsim-uk.org. These positions are all called "London Control", they are the enroute positions for England and Wales. The London TMA, which in US terms is the London TRACON, is also known as "London Control" and currently has VATSIM callsign LON_NW_CTR. This will change as part of our forthcoming reorganisation. Typically, LON_NW_CTR controls from around FL220 down to one level above lowest available stack level which is usually FL80 or FL90. From their the respective approach positions take over, and have names such as "Heathrow Director", "Gatwick Director" and "Essex Radar".

Vince Horan

UK DCRM, VATSIM Supervisor, Snr Controller

4003.png

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

That makes a lot of sense, thanks guys!

Also, would say "Heatrow Director" sit in the TMA or the tower or non of the above?

Justin

Vince Horan
Posted
Posted
That makes a lot of sense, thanks guys!

Also, would say "Heatrow Director" sit in the TMA or the tower or non of the above?

Justin

If we are talking about where the real world "Heathrow Director" controller is located, he is 70 miles from Heathrow at a place called Swanwick near Southampton where all the enroute and terminal area controllers are.

Vince Horan

UK DCRM, VATSIM Supervisor, Snr Controller

4003.png

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Oh, alright. Thanks!

Justin