You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer Geeks! Help?

James Miller 1077241

James Miller 1077241
Posted
Posted

Sooo.. my poor amd a8n-sli board is outta date, so is my 2.2 ghz chip, and im looking to upgrade and build a new intel system. A little history, i am not a very happy fan of intel, never have. But seeing how AMD is starting to fall behind, I'm looking to build a new box for flight sim x.

However, I've been out of the pc building market for a while now, and i'm kinda lost as to what board to pick. I was looking at asus Republic of Gamers, or Lanparty. But i dont know about either board. I'm looking at getting a quad core chip, with AT LEAST 6gb of memory.

Any input would be great!

James M

Noblesville Indiana

764.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
However, I've been out of the pc building market for a while now, and i'm kinda lost as to what board to pick.

I recently bought my wife a P45 board by Gigabyte and am quite satisfied.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

James Miller 1077241
Posted
Posted

I've been reading some reviews on the p45 boards but they tend to be very picky about the memory. I only use two brands, corsair or ocz, and it appears that more people have issues with ocz.

may I query which type of memory you used?

764.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
may I query which type of memory you used?

G.Skill DDR2-1000. I've had good experiences with their memory. I have a P35 board with 2GB of DDR2-1000, my oldest daughter has an Athlon X2 with 2B of their DDR2-800, and my wife has 4GB (2x2GB) of the DDR2-1000. No problems with any of them.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

James: the reason why they're picky right down to the model number is that the manufacturing and branding of memory are entirely two different things. The only brand that does both is Sandisk. So don't believe the hype behind any of the brands like Corsair or OCZ, they are just middlemen and any difference is pure marketing gimmick.