You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unidentified Network on Vista

Luke Kolin

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Anyone run into a situation where Vista stubbornly insists that my network is "unidentified" and refuses to let TCP/IP talk to anything but the local machine, after running perfectly for 3 weeks?

I'm running on a LAN, no DHCP and no routers or modems. IP is 192.168.0.21, netmask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway/DNS is 192.168.0.1. I've tried googling for this but the only common thread is that it seems to happen to random individuals at random times and there's no solution (beyond the obvious one, which is install XP).

Is there a Vista setting that says "Just STHU and let me talk TCP/IP" and blocks out this dubious "functionality"? I never imagined that Vista would be this bad until I tried to use it.

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Whatever do you mean Luke? People keep telling me I'm foolish for going back to XP.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

wow could you spend anymore time bashing Vista than describing your actual problem with it. Last time I checked trouble shooting with respect to OSI didn't involve the Operating System. Then again cisco could be wrong.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
wow could you spend anymore time bashing Vista than describing your actual problem with it.

What further information do you require? I'd be happy to provide it - this is the first networking OS I've had in 15 years that arbitrarily shut down a network interface with no explanation on how to re-enable it.

In any case, XP is now on the machine and it can talk on the network again. I was considering putting Vista on my own PC but now I'm too nervous that it will randomly decide that it needs to "protect" me from my own network.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

whatever makes you happy!

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
whatever makes you happy!

Correction - whatever makes my wife happy, since it was her PC. Making her happy doesn't necessarily translate to my own happiness, but making her unhappy certainly transfers over.

Cheers!

Luke