You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using EuroScope?

John Cierpial 1008209

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

I know it's called EuroScope for a reason but has anyone used it while controlling here in the states? It seems to have a lot of features which are different from VRC. I'm trying to get everyone's consensus before I download and try it out myself.

CTP Planning Team Member

James McMannamy
Posted
Posted

I haven't used Euroscope, but as far as the display is concerned, VRC can be configured to simulate STARS and ACD scopes almost perfectly. The flight data entries aren't quite there, but that is a limitation of VATSIM. Now an old ARTS II scope with the sweep would be perfect.

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

EuroScope is a very handy client, and it's very well-designed, however it's not modeled after US Scopes. Unless you are controlling outside of the US, I would not recommend it. VRC is a great radar client as well, and has many very nice features, many of which I find BETTER than EuroScope's.

Justin

Edited by Guest

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I know it's called EuroScope for a reason but has anyone used it while controlling here in the states? It seems to have a lot of features which are different from VRC. I'm trying to get everyone's consensus before I download and try it out myself.

I'd suggest you download it and give it a try, since it comes down to personal preference in the end. You may find that you just can't live without some of Euroscope's advanced features.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted

Euroscope does have may great features - however, work is required to get the most out of it. A good ESE file is at the core of most of these and if your vARTCC does not have one you may need to write one yourself. This can take alot of work to get right. That said once done it does reduce your workload immensely.

As for representing US scopes - the tags etc can be customised and changed - infact most things can, to suit the individual user.

As for preference - I use both, at the same time to suit my needs.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

I second the quoted message. It is the best client for Vatsim, it requires writing .ese files which is no big deal, the aircraft data tags can be modified to replicate anything you want. Bottom line, the resultant quality and benefit is unparalleled. Ross did a great job with VRC, but compared to Euroscope for experienced controllers, VRC seems like a toy for beginners.

Euroscope does have may great features - however, work is required to get the most out of it. A good ESE file is at the core of most of these and if your vARTCC does not have one you may need to write one yourself. This can take alot of work to get right. That said once done it does reduce your workload immensely.

As for representing US scopes - the tags etc can be customised and changed - infact most things can, to suit the individual user.

As for preference - I use both, at the same time to suit my needs.

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted

Euro scope is hands down the most realistic radar client for VATSIM.

The only drawback is that it is designed to model Euro style radars and not American.

It can combine/decombine sectors, automate handoffs, track your sector entry and exit times, alert of route or off altitude, alert MSAW, alert you when it's time for a hand-off, record/playback your session, training mode, and much more.

Of course VRC is much simpler. I would use Euroscope if I had an accurate ESE for ZTL... but i'm too lazy to write one.

Regards,

JX

• 3 months later...
Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

Download EuroScope then go download this Start-up file for ZLC_Salt Lake Center from http://www.box.net/shared/zo5iaswowo READ the ReadMe's

It doesn't take much to make EuroScope work with any ARTCC but to get all the features will take a lot of work.

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Euroscope Development Team.

Dare to fly the Rocky Mountains.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

How do you use both at the same time without a double connection?

Nigil Lee 1068478
Posted
Posted

Joe I'll make us a .ese file in NY, at least for LGA TRACON, you know we are the best N90 airport.