You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vista 32 / FS9 / SB4 / McAfee

Dave Catalani

Dave Catalani
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have searched thouroughly and think this is a correct statement. Please advise in laymens terms, anyone, as I have been dazed and confused.

New computer with vista 32 and McAfee. I can connect okay, but have that problem that alot of Vista users have apparently...seeing no traffic. I have read that I need to uninstall McAfee totally? Is this the only solution? What to do with Windows firewall and defender....turn on/leave off??...is that as good/better than McAfee?

I see alot of posts that mention other firewall/anti-virus packages that do not interfere with SB, but was wanting to know if there is a way to configure current system and still be protected from the outside world?

I am starting to dread ever making the change to Vista......

Anyone use Windows Onecare for firewall and anti-virus?

Edited by Guest

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

I use SB4 on Vista64 and FSX without issue.

I use AVG 7.5 for my antivirus with the built in firewall.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Dave Catalani
Posted
Posted

I have checked AVG website. Looks like version 8.0 has 3 options ranging from 34.99 to 54.99. The top end has Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam, Web Protection & Firewall. Lower end has Ani-Virus ans Anit-Spyware. Middle has lower end but includes firewall.

Will I be OK with the lower end AVG and use Windows Firewall that came with Vista?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Version 8 is starting to become bloatware, IMO. Google for the free AVG 7.5 antivirus. It may take a couple of pages but you will find a download link that doesnt redirect to version 8.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg